Xr700 -- Failed to obtain IP address / uanble to connect with WiFi devices

15 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

If you are not a gamer or planing to game the R9000 being only a Netgear product without DumaOS which is designed for gaming really would may have been a better option like Newfie has suggested. It has a good Dynamic QoS and you are only dealing with one lot of firmware, and not two.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R9000.aspx

I am not gaming yet. I did build a gaming rig tho, and am moving in that direction.  I like to purchase stuff to cover all my needs, including those I have not anticipated yet. 

I appreciate the advice though! 

Guest Killhippie
3 hours ago, d23perry said:

I remember reading somewhere on this forum, probably at the below link, where it was recommended to load firmware version 1-0-0-20 to resolve a connection issue with the router.  After doing so, the user reported that their connections issues, and also their internet speeds, were no longer at issue.

So, I decided to do the same and revert back to the much older firmware.

Surprisingly, all of my wireless clients instantly connected to the XR700.  I immediately noticed the difference as soon as the router finished applying the firmware  

Something is definitely off with firmware versions 1.0.1.20 and 1.0.1.24!

This one !

12 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

This one !

Ok, I get it now. I linked that thread from another member, as it described a similar issue to mine.  It was resolved by reverting the firmware back to 1.0.0.20, which also corrected my problem.  Photos belong to another member. 

Just now, d23perry said:

Ok, I get it now. I linked that thread from another member, as it described a similar issue to mine.  It was resolved by reverting the firmware back to 1.0.0.20, which also corrected my problem.  Photos belong to another member. 

That’s the one, it showed a pic and I made the mistake looking at the pic it pasted on your thread. 

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That is very strange, having a look at the release notes for all the firmwares in between I can't see anything that would be causing it. I'll have to pass this onto the team, though glad you have a temporary solution.

I am hopeful that the team will be taking a closer look at this issue soon.  I am glad that the temporary solution has me online with all of my devices.  But man, I am in DumaOS managing things, and it feels like I am in the stone ages.  The grid view of the device manager is nice, but the list was so much more manageable.  

Guest Killhippie
15 hours ago, d23perry said:

I am hopeful that the team will be taking a closer look at this issue soon.  I am glad that the temporary solution has me online with all of my devices.  But man, I am in DumaOS managing things, and it feels like I am in the stone ages.  The grid view of the device manager is nice, but the list was so much more manageable.  

Be aware that last year there not many patches for the XR700, maybe two I'm not 100% sure on that but someone may know more who has one. The XR500 had only one patch last year! DumaOS 3.0 may fix some bugs but probably not all and there is no ETA on when you will get it either, also If you wanted to game the R9000 was great at that anyway, I am a firm believer that two lots of firmware on one machine can be nightmare on one router. The XR700 seems to have had more issues than the XR500, but its your decision I'm just trying to point you in the direction of other good routers from Netgear. Honestly though the R9000 is a great router to stream and game with. Future proofing a router is next to impossible as you are already behind the curve slightly as AX is now out in draft and new clients are supporting that going forwards like the iPhone 11Pro and cheaper devices will support it this year  Also the XR700 is really aimed specifically at the gaming market not the streaming all rounder that the R9000 is. No offence to Netduma who make good gaming kit, but unless you really are a hard core gamer most of these features you may never use. Good luck, hope all goes well.

5 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Be aware that last year there not many patches for the XR700, maybe two I'm not 100% sure on that but someone may know more who has one. The XR500 had only one patch last year! DumaOS 3.0 may fix some bugs but probably not all and there is no ETA on when you will get it either, also If you wanted to game the R9000 was great at that anyway, I am a firm believer that two lots of firmware on one machine can be nightmare on one router. The XR700 seems to have had more issues than the XR500, but its your decision I'm just trying to point you in the direction of other good routers from Netgear. Honestly though the R9000 is a great router to stream and game with. Future proofing a router is next to impossible as you are already behind the curve slightly as AX is now out in draft and new clients are supporting that going forwards like the iPhone 11Pro and cheaper devices will support it this year  Also the XR700 is really aimed specifically at the gaming market not the streaming all rounder that the R9000 is. No offence to Netduma who make good gaming kit, but unless you really are a hard core gamer most of these features you may never use. Good luck, hope all goes well.

Unfortunately, my optimism over yesterday's temporary step forward was short-lived.  The XR700 did seem to perform better under the older firmware initially. However, I woke up this morning with several of my wireless clients offline.  A reboot of the router did not help.  I have decided to move on from the XR700--returning it today. 

I also recognize that technology evolves so quickly.  You can try to keep one step ahead, but tomorrow will always bring something different.  Still, I try not to settle on what my current needs are today.  I do my best to anticipate what they may be tomorrow also. 

The R9000 is similarly equipped and impressive as the XR700.  But I must say that I have a very sour taste in my mouth from my experience with the XR700.   You guys have been quite responsive to my postings, and I am very thankful.  However, I began this support journey by contacting NetGear directly.  In my telephone support call to NetGear, I was made to do nonsensical things like changing DNS server settings in the router, even when I was not experiencing any issues with the internet.  Ultimately, the call was escalated and I was promised a callback without any ETA.  I was expected to sit around endlessly waiting for a return call while my smart home is crippled, as I am not even able to remotely turn on a lightbulb due to the wireless connectivity issues.  To date, I still have not received a callback.

The router I initially set out to purchase was the ASUS Rapture GT-AX11000.  I was able to get no interest for 6 months on a store card where the XR700 was available, so I settled for that.  Perhaps that is where I went wrong -- settling on a purchase based on trying to avoid a little bit of interest. I won't make that mistake again. 

I appreciate all of the advice and assistance you and the rest of the members offered!

Best way with Netgear is use the online support as it would have added your case under my Netgear.  Here you can send messages for updates and they respond very quickly and no doubt you would have have reached a L2 tech. 
I hope it goes well, you have a Broadcom chip which you might find is a bit buggy in the Asus as it’s still draft and Qualcomm tends to be better supported than Broadcom but fingers crossed it works out for you.

On 3/15/2020 at 1:39 PM, Newfie said:

Best way with Netgear is use the online support as it would have added your case under my Netgear.  Here you can send messages for updates and they respond very quickly and no doubt you would have have reached a L2 tech. 
I hope it goes well, you have a Broadcom chip which you might find is a bit buggy in the Asus as it’s still draft and Qualcomm tends to be better supported than Broadcom but fingers crossed it works out for you.

I wish I had known that using online support was the way to go.  I think Netgear finally closed out my case number without a callback.  That was definitely not great customer service. 

Still, I decided to give Netgear another shot.  I purchased the RAX120.  It doesn’t have the same bells and whistles as the XR700, but it is not lacking much either.  I do miss the DumaOS tho. 

So far, the RAX120 has been flawless. I let it run a day on an older firmware version, and then updated it to the current firmware. I have not experienced any disconnects or loss of internet since it has been installed.  Perhaps someday soon I won’t need to look at my smart switches to see if that dreaded red WiFi logo is on. 

Thanks again for your support. 

7 hours ago, d23perry said:

I wish I had known that using online support was the way to go.  I think Netgear finally closed out my case number without a callback.  That was definitely not great customer service. 

Still, I decided to give Netgear another shot.  I purchased the RAX120.  It doesn’t have the same bells and whistles as the XR700, but it is not lacking much either.  I do miss the DumaOS tho. 

So far, the RAX120 has been flawless. I let it run a day on an older firmware version, and then updated it to the current firmware. I have not experienced any disconnects or loss of internet since it has been installed.  Perhaps someday soon I won’t need to look at my smart switches to see if that dreaded red WiFi logo is on. 

Thanks again for your support. 

The RAX120 is a very nice router, it’s what I’m using with very little issues.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to say that I purchased the XR700 back in March 2019. Every firmware update since the original has bricked my wi-fi in this exact same set of scenarios. I periodically search google to for recent posts on the issue to see if anyone has found a resolutions. Sadly they haven't. To ensure everything works I've been on this old as heck firmware (which is supper buggy). I do game, and I do use the 10gb SFP+ port, so another router of this type is hard to come by. Some wi-fi devices connect, but its a mixed bag. If you search for " XR700 failed to obtain IP" you can find others with this issue, but no resolve. What a pain! 

13 minutes ago, KronosMarauder said:

I'd like to say that I purchased the XR700 back in March 2019. Every firmware update since the original has bricked my wi-fi in this exact same set of scenarios. I periodically search google to for recent posts on the issue to see if anyone has found a resolutions. Sadly they haven't. To ensure everything works I've been on this old as heck firmware (which is supper buggy). I do game, and I do use the 10gb SFP+ port, so another router of this type is hard to come by. Some wi-fi devices connect, but its a mixed bag. If you search for " XR700 failed to obtain IP" you can find others with this issue, but no resolve. What a pain! 

I referenced similar searches with the same troubling results in my initial posting.  I truly wanted the XR700 to work well, as it has so much potential, including the 10gb SFP+ port you referenced.  I also have not seen anther router with that configuration.  I wanted the XR700 to work so badly that I also rolled back the firmware to an older, but still buggy version.  The Wi-Fi problems appeared to be working smoothly after the firmware rollback, as all my devices instantly connected to Wi-Fi.  However, that was short-lived, as the problem reappeared the next day.

I have been rock-solid on the RAX120 since I got it.  I even updated the firmware twice without any issue.  I highlighted the firmware updates here, as the XR700 had to be treated like a new router install after each firmware update.  Even if I used the same SSID and password after the firmware update, my Wi-Fi would not connect to it.  Instead, I had to create a new SSID and individual go to each Wi-Fi device and select the new SSID.  Such a huge pain!

The RAX120 has a 5gb port; but clearly it is not the same 10gb port on the XR700.  RAX120 also des not have the DumaOS.  Sadly, I had to trade stability over angst.

I hope things do improve for you.  I also find it odd that Netgear and DumaOS appears to work better or is more stable on the XR500, but not so much on what should be considered their flagship gaming router or the XR700.  Go figure!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 3:11 PM, polard55 said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I can confirm that setting static/dedicated IP's for devices helps, but its not an acceptable long term solution for me. I have 5 different android devices to start, and its not just them. I like have over 40+ wifi devices (many being smarthome), and the router has trouble assigning IP's to not just the android ones, but half my echo devices, and other units. To me being on the original firmware has been the best choice, although I also feel thats not a good reflection on Netgear. I am waiting for DUMAOS 3.0 to see if it fixes it, or I will change to the ASUS RT-AX89X and wont be giving Netgear any further business.