Xr700 -- Failed to obtain IP address / uanble to connect with WiFi devices

Hi,

I recently purchased and setup a XR700 router, which replaced a my previous setup up routers (one serving as the DHCP server while the other was set as a bridge).

I intended to use only the XR700 router to handle all my networking needs, which includes about 50 or so devices consisting of computers, Plex server, Roku devices and host of smart bulbs, switches and thermostats. 

Out of the box, I thought I could merely assign the existing network SSID to the XR700 and all of my Wi-Fi devices would automatically connect to newly setup router.   However, a few of my Wi-Fi devices did while many were unable to connect.   Similar to the issues raised in the posts I linked below, many of devices were not able to obtain DCHP IP addresses from the router or were not able to establish any connection.

I should also add that out of the box, I accepted the prompt to update the firmware to 1.0.1.20.

Although I have been able to recycle my SSID with previous router upgrades, I concluded that the XR700 was simply not willing to play ball.

Before changing the SSID, I did attempt to assign a static IP address to my MacBook Pro -- I did so on the computer itself.  Doing so did enable me to fully connect to the router and internet via Wi-Fi.  I was willing to put in the painstaking work of manually assigning IP addresses to all of the devices that would not connect, but several of the smart bulbs and switches do not have that capability within their own settings.  Even when I attempted to reserve IP addresses with MAC addresses on the XR700 router, the Wi-Fi devices were still unable to connect to the XR700 router and/or the internet.

So, I reset to the router to factory defaults via the router login page (used the erase feature), and then I started from scratch and chose a different SSID name (I realize I could have done so without resetting everything, but I thought it would be best to do it that way). 

With the new SSID, I went through the painstaking efforts of manually accessing 50 or so Wi-Fi devices, choosing the new SSID name and entering the Wi-Fi password.  All went well!  All devices were able to connect to the new SSID name for the XR700 and had internet access.  Although hours of work, the results were terrific. 

I was all set to enjoy the new setup, but decided to tidy up location of the router with some cord management.  So, I powered down the XR700 momentarily, repositioned things, tied down cables and then powered XR700 back on.  To my dismay, many of my Wi-Fi devices were again not able to connect to the XR700 router using the new SSID.  Even my MacBook Pro reverted back to the image from George's post in December 2018 where "Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address ..  and will not be able to connect to the internet."

All of the work I completed was for naught as I was once again back in the same position I was before I changed the SSID on the XR700 router.

Still, crazy me, I decided to change the SSID again, and also manually join the 50 or so devices back to the new network name for the XR700 router.  This time, I was able to do it in about an hour because of the practice.  All of the Wi-Fi devices are again connected to the XR700 router and are appearing as online with valid IP addresses in the device manager of the router login.  Great!

However, I now need to complete some modifications to the port settings.  I am so fearful to make any changes, as I believe that my Wi-Fi devices will again drop off the network at the moment I hit apply to the settings changes.

I scanned through several postings in the forums and saw several iterations of the issues I am experiencing.  I linked some below. 

In all of the postings, I did not see any resolutions. There were recommendations to reset, manually assign IP addresses, revert to earlier firmware versions and more; but no true identification of the cause of the problem or a solution. 

Before I return this $400 router back to the store, did I miss something -- is there a prescribed fix for this issue?

It should also be noted that I have 5 devices connected to the XR700 via the Ethernet ports, and all do not have any problem with acquiring an IP address from the router and gaining internet access; hence my uninterrupted ability to continue to make changes to the router login page. 

So, the issue is clearly a Wi-Fi problem only!

Thanks.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Whilst this firmware doesn't strictly adhere to your issue it is the latest available so I would suggest upgrading to it: https://kb.netgear.com/000061714/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-24-Hot-Fix?_ga=2.142299963.887347558.1583622632-1081876591.1570276809

Are you using Smart Connect for WiFi? If so I would recommend disabling that and connecting to 2.4/5GHz individually as some devices do not do well with the autoswitching that smart connect does. Also do you have HT160 enabled in Advanced WiFi Settings? I would definitely disable that as that can cause issues with devices that don't support it. Do you have any other WiFi networks active around the 700 at the moment?

Thanks for your reply and welcome!

I am neither using smart connect nor HT160. I also have disabled all other wireless networks when the WiFi issues began.  So, none of those variables are contributing to the issue.  

I am extremely reluctant to apply the latest firmware, if it does not necessarily address my issue.

As of this moment, all devices are holding steady after renaming the SSID and manually connecting each of them for a second time. I have my devices connected to both the 2ghz and 5ghz SSIDs I created. 

Is there any other recommendations I can apply before I potentially plunge into another hour of manually connecting all of my WiFi devices?

• Administrators

The only other things I can think of at the moment would be to use a WiFi analyser to find the least congested channels and change to that - although your other WiFi is off neighbours WiFi could be causing contention. Also if wireless devices (not necessarily wifi enabled but wireless headphones for example) are within 3 feet of the router that could disrupt the wireless signal.

I recognize that the variables you listed can be contributors.  I struggle to believe that they are though, as the only change to my home network is the installation of the XR700 router. I did not experience these issues prior to last week when using my old equipment; and based on the other postings in the community, I am not alone with this problem. 

I have a few more weeks before I exceed the return window. I’ll give it a few days, and then try to duplicate the issues from yesterday by unplugging and replugging the XR700 router.  If the wireless devices fail to connect again, I’ll apply the latest firmware you shared.  If that doesn’t work, then I’ll return to using my $50 router from a decade ago until I determine an appropriate replacement. 

I appreciate your replies. 

Guest Killhippie
8 hours ago, d23perry said:

I recognize that the variables you listed can be contributors.  I struggle to believe that they are though, as the only change to my home network is the installation of the XR700 router. I did not experience these issues prior to last week when using my old equipment; and based on the other postings in the community, I am not alone with this problem. 

I have a few more weeks before I exceed the return window. I’ll give it a few days, and then try to duplicate the issues from yesterday by unplugging and replugging the XR700 router.  If the wireless devices fail to connect again, I’ll apply the latest firmware you shared.  If that doesn’t work, then I’ll return to using my $50 router from a decade ago until I determine an appropriate replacement. 

Latest firmware fixes a certificate man in the middle attack so its worth updating for your security and also worth doing with a factory reset after, don't save settings but start again from scratch. Use the pin hole in the back to reset, hold in for 20 seconds, let the router sit for about 5 minutes after updating and before resetting though firmware isn't always fully baked when the progress bar says it is. I would suggest putting your devices into DHCP reservation and giving them a fixed IP as that may help. turn all Wi-Fi devices off boot router leave for a few minutes to allow the router to fully boot, then start turning them on so they get the IP's you have given them. If issues persist do what's best for your network. :)

• Administrators
19 hours ago, d23perry said:

That is fair enough, I will have a think about whether there is anything else you can try so do let us know if it is still an issue after the latest firmware and a reset.

11 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Latest firmware fixes a certificate man in the middle attack so its worth updating for your security and also worth doing with a factory reset after, don't save settings but start again from scratch. Use the pin hole in the back to reset, hold in for 20 seconds, let the router sit for about 5 minutes after updating and before resetting though firmware isn't always fully baked when the progress bar says it is. I would suggest putting your devices into DHCP reservation and giving them a fixed IP as that may help. turn all Wi-Fi devices off boot router leave for a few minutes to allow the router to fully boot, then start turning them on so they get the IP's you have given them. If issues persist do what's best for your network. :)

The last place I would want a vulnerability on my network is with the router.  I definitely would not avoid applying the update.  I was merely concerned that the update would not address my issue, per the earlier posting. 

I also noted earlier that the DHCP reservations did not work.  I tried it with one device and it still was not able to connect.  The only way I have been able to get the router to assign or accept a  DHCP IP address for my WiFi devices is by 1) resetting the router, creating new SSID, and selecting the new SSID on each WiFi device or 2) assigning a static IP on the WiFi devices.  

Even if I was stuck with option 2), I would gladly do it for every device.  But all of my smart devices are not smart enough to accept a configuration for a static IP—some only permit you to choose a network from a list or manually enter it if the SSID is not broadcasting.  

I appreciate your reply. 

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That is fair enough, I will have a think about whether there is anything else you can try so do let us know if it is still an issue after the latest firmware and a reset.

Anything up you can come up with will be much appreciated!

Unfortunately, my planned tests got expedited this evening.  

I decided to run cat6 into my bedroom. In doing so, I discovered that the wired connection from the XR700 to the bedroom was abysmal. I was only receiving a little over 4mbps down when my internet service plan is supposed to enable me to receive over 200mbps down.  When setting up the XR700 a few days ago, the speed tests had me at over 230mbps.  So, I was appalled that I was now only receiving a bit over 4mbps.  

I believed that there was a issue with the wiring, and ran multiple tests on the cat6 cabling. Ultimately, I determined that the cabling was fine, as I was now only able to receive 4mbps download speeds even when connected wirelessly to the XR700.

I rebooted my modem without any luck.  Next option was to reboot the XR700.  Of course, after rebooting the XR700, the majority of my wireless devices were not able to connect to it.  Multiple failed connects and failures to obtain IP addresses.  

So, I decided to update the firmware to 1.0.1.24; and as I expected, it did not resolve the issue.  Even after performing a reset via the rest button on the back, the XR700 was not able to connect to my WiFi devices.  Thankfully though, the XR700 was no longer crippling my downloads speeds -- after the firmware upgrade and reset, my downlaod speeds returned to over 200mbps. 

Sadly, the only way to restore things back to normal was to reset the SSID, and manually connect all of my WiFi devices to the newly created SSID.

Before doing so, I did try to change wireless channels, as suggested by another forum member, but that did not work.  Until I changed the SSID and manually connected all of my WiFi devices to it, all of my efforts to make it work failed. 

I am now convinced that each time my XR700 router reboots or is powered off, my WiFi devices will not be able to connect to it again. 

Got a few more weeks before I am able to return it.  But it appears that returning it is my only recourse. 

Guest Killhippie
11 hours ago, d23perry said:

The last place I would want a vulnerability on my network is with the router.  I definitely would not avoid applying the update.  I was merely concerned that the update would not address my issue, per the earlier posting. 

I also noted earlier that the DHCP reservations did not work.  I tried it with one device and it still was not able to connect.  The only way I have been able to get the router to assign or accept a  DHCP IP address for my WiFi devices is by 1) resetting the router, creating new SSID, and selecting the new SSID on each WiFi device or 2) assigning a static IP on the WiFi devices.  

Even if I was stuck with option 2), I would gladly do it for every device.  But all of my smart devices are not smart enough to accept a configuration for a static IP—some only permit you to choose a network from a list or manually enter it if the SSID is not broadcasting.  

I appreciate your reply. 

DHCP reservation is via the router it keeps a single IP for all devices even a dumb 10 year old printer will except that. Believe me, I know  ;)   You don't do it at the client level at all and all your devices will pick up a new single IP from the DHCP pool that remains the same because the router does all the work. Also if you have factory reset from scratch not using a back up file, set up as new using the same SSID you use for your network and don't use smart connect, separate the networks  into 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. and add a new SSID for 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz, your choice. Then go to LAN settings and start adding the mac addresses and your names for devices, once complete press apply the router will reboot and all your devices will have a static IP via the router.

• Administrators

What is your exact physical setup? What is the modem model? There may be an inconsistency there as 4mbps makes very little sense. You said this before:

Even when I attempted to reserve IP addresses with MAC addresses on the XR700 router, the Wi-Fi devices were still unable to connect to the XR700 router and/or the internet.

Did you try to give them the same IP they had or a completely different one? If a different one you would've had to reboot the devices or the router before the connection would take, if you used the same IP then it should have worked.

4 hours ago, Killhippie said:

DHCP reservation is via the router it keeps a single IP for all devices even a dumb 10 year old printer will except that. Believe me, I know  ;)   You don't do it at the client level at all and all your devices will pick up a new single IP from the DHCP pool that remains the same because the router does all the work. Also if you have factory reset from scratch not using a back up file, set up as new using the same SSID you use for your network and don't use smart connect, separate the networks  into 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. and add a new SSID for 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz, your choice. Then go to LAN settings and start adding the mac addresses and your names for devices, once complete press apply the router will reboot and all your devices will have a static IP via the router.

Hi,

i think you misunderstood my postings. 

i am aware that DHCP reservations are done on the router, and I have not been successful in assigning IP addresses using that method.  DHCP reservations require you to assign an IP address to a client using its MAC address.  Even when I have used this method, the clients have  still been unable to connect to the XR700.  

Also, when I updated the firmware and reset the router, I did attempt set it up again using that same SSID.  There lies the problem!  Many of my clients are unable to connect to the XR700, even when using DHCP reservations.  The only solution for now is to change the SSID and manually connect to the XR700’s new SSID on each client.   

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is your exact physical setup? What is the modem model? There may be an inconsistency there as 4mbps makes very little sense. You said this before:

Did you try to give them the same IP they had or a completely different one? If a different one you would've had to reboot the devices or the router before the connection would take, if you used the same IP then it should have worked.

Modem is an Arris TM1602A.

i have 4 clients wired into the XR700, and the remaining are connected wirelessly to the 2ghz and 5ghz bands  

When using DHCP reservations, I was not able to use the same IP address, as the wireless clients were never assigned an IP address from the router.  Out the box, the XR700 failed to connect to more than half of my wireless clients.  Similar to the post I linked from George up above, my MacBook was not able to obtain an IP address, and the one it did receive was not in the DHCP range.

I remember reading somewhere on this forum, probably at the below link, where it was recommended to load firmware version 1-0-0-20 to resolve a connection issue with the router.  After doing so, the user reported that their connections issues, and also their internet speeds, were no longer at issue.

So, I decided to do the same and revert back to the much older firmware.

Surprisingly, all of my wireless clients instantly connected to the XR700.  I immediately noticed the difference as soon as the router finished applying the firmware  

Something is definitely off with firmware versions 1.0.1.20 and 1.0.1.24!

Just now, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you give me an idea of what devices you have connected to the router? Could you try setting up a guest WiFi network and seeing if they connect then?

I have 5 Amazon echo devices; about 20 smart bulbs, switches, plugs and thermostats; computers; TiVos; printers; 3 Roku devices; smart TVs and similar.   

Per my last post, all of the devices connected immediately when reverting back to firmware 1.0.0.20. 

• Administrators

That is very strange, having a look at the release notes for all the firmwares in between I can't see anything that would be causing it. I'll have to pass this onto the team, though glad you have a temporary solution.

Guest Killhippie

This sounds like a bug with the SSID. I had a R7800 that would not broadcast the '/' symbol. Depending on your password its possible there may be an issue with the broadcast of the SSID. Also depending on your BT hub some can't run in modem only mode in fact it may be all oif them but im not 100% on that as I don't use BT. You can only turn off Wi-Fi, and DHCP on BT Home hubs but you may end up with a double Nat issue as well as other problems. May I ask what BT hub you have? Also to be fair the XR700 is a tad buggy like the XR300 is unfortunately, but the XR500 runs comparatively well.

7 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

This sounds like a bug with the SSID. I had a R7800 that would not broadcast the '/' symbol. Depending on your password its possible there may be an issue with the broadcast of the SSID. Also depending on your BT hub some can't run in modem only mode in fact it may be all oif them but im not 100% on that as I don't use BT. You can only turn off Wi-Fi, and DHCP on BT Home hubs but you may end up with a double Nat issue as well as other problems. May I ask what BT hub you have? Also to be fair the XR700 is a tad buggy like the XR300 is unfortunately, but the XR500 runs comparatively well.

I listed my modem model earlier -- Arris TM1602A.  This device is a modem only -- it does not have router capabilities, so there should not be any conflicts there.

I am pretty certain the issue is not with the SSID.  I am not using an SSID with any symbols -- just letters and numbers.  Also, the XR700 is broadcasting the SSID, and all of my wireless clients are able to see it.  However, they are not able to connect to it; or do connect but don't have any internet access.  The issue is best identified on my MacBook Pro, as it connects to the router wirelessly, but receives an IP address out of the DHCP range.  George's post above perfectly illustrates my issue.  

And even when I go through the painstaking efforts of choosing a new SSID and connect each wireless client to it, something as simple as a reboot causes more than half of my wireless clients to lose it connection to the XR700.

The one conclusion I am also able to draw is that the XR700 is indeed a bit buggy, or at least the firmware is buggy.  Firmware version 1.0.0.20 appears to be a more stable version, as evidenced by the other posts I linked. 

Hopefully the developers can makes heads or tails of what changes were made to the firmware post 1.0.0.20 that are causing issues with WiFi connectivity.

6 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Hi, Killhippie and I are chatting and we saw the pic hence why Killhippie asked about the BT hub which I saw shown.

Do you game?

Hi,

I am not sure what pic you are referring to?  I only linked posts from other members. I didn’t attach or upload pics (or I do not believe I did).

No online gaming for me yet.  

Guest Killhippie

If you are not a gamer or planing to game the R9000 being only a Netgear product without DumaOS which is designed for gaming really would may have been a better option like Newfie has suggested. It has a good Dynamic QoS and you are only dealing with one lot of firmware, and not two.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R9000.aspx

21 minutes ago, Newfie said:

The post shows a pic of PingPlotter with BT hub. 
I think maybe you might be better of with an R9000 which is the same as the XR700 but without Duma to be honest.

You referenced “this post” but still I don’t see which post you are referring to.