xr500 dropping internet

• Administrators
16 hours ago, OnlineGamer said:

nope im good im done with router or any netgear. thank you anyways

Okay well I will leave the topic open in case you change your mind as I'm confident the above has more chance of working, otherwise I hope to see you when 3.0 is available.

Hopefully Fraser this is something Netgear and DumaOS 3.0 will fix together as a whole. I cant blame the Op for being upset and very disappointed. It comes down to how much time one has to fiddle with this router that really starts to eat at ones nerves. And its not like there a cheap router. Even if it was a cheap router it should handle basic DHCP work. Its a shame to see this really. Im surprised that Netgear hasn't been quicker at a fix for this. And its a shame to see new people come to the forum with the same issue.

One thing to note also is in the Op's logs his DNS servers are being tagged as some sort of DoS Attack TCP/UDP Echo. Makes me wonder if that also is adding to his issues. Its clearly not normal to see his DNS servers in the logs like that. 74.40.74.40 and 74.40.74.41. He might be able to add a port forwarding rule to help clear that from the logs. And who knows it might help keep his router to be a bit more stable.. Even if this isn't and issue it makes me wonder if there is filtering being done on his DNS servers.

Ive also tried this awhile back what I believe you have mentioned also Fraser at disabling DHCP once one has there Ips reserved for all devices. And once one loses connection sometimes a simple power cycling of just the router tends to get it back online. But even that im sure varies per user and type of setup one has.

Hopefully the Op hangs around! 👍

Zippy.

I’m currently living with this annoyance, putting devices into a static is a pain , especially as the XR500 does not identify all devices so you have to go to each device and get it’s IP , also this does not solve the issue of dhcp , I’m close to binning this router now , one more month and I’m done , I had Netflix disconnect 4 times in 1.2 hours due to the router having a dhcp fit ... the future does not look good and Netgear are not interested.

27 minutes ago, sharpz44 said:

I’m currently living with this annoyance, putting devices into a static is a pain , especially as the XR500 does not identify all devices so you have to go to each device and get it’s IP , also this does not solve the issue of dhcp , I’m close to binning this router now , one more month and I’m done , I had Netflix disconnect 4 times in 1.2 hours due to the router having a dhcp fit ... the future does not look good and Netgear are not interested.

I can totally understand your frustration.. I would try to hang in there because I also believe this is a firmware issue. Ive had the same trouble. I was able to correct my issue. Or at least my XR500 staid up and running for a month and a half without issue after I switched everything over to WIFI. Meaning I did a full factory reset to the router and then let everything connect to the router by only WFI.. You cant have anything connected to LAN ports.. During setup or after.. After that no problems. Im not saying this would work for everyone though. And im by no means saying to try it. Im just stating what worked for me in the mean time until a new firmware is available. Your more then welcome to give it a go. But make sure you hard reset the router before doing this. And once it is up and running you don't have to add any of your devices in the reservation. I tested it both ways with or with out doing that and it stayed connected.. And Device Manager also works with this. Meaning it accurately showed what devices were online and off.  The chances that this will work for you is a 50/50.. 

Hang in there! 👍

Zippy.

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, sharpz44 said:

Do you have that if the DHCP server is disabled as well? I do understand your frustration, I am confident you'll be much happier when 3.0 is released.

12 hours ago, Zippy said:

I can totally understand your frustration.. I would try to hang in there because I also believe this is a firmware issue. Ive had the same trouble. I was able to correct my issue. Or at least my XR500 staid up and running for a month and a half without issue after I switched everything over to WIFI. Meaning I did a full factory reset to the router and then let everything connect to the router by only WFI.. You cant have anything connected to LAN ports.. During setup or after.. After that no problems. Im not saying this would work for everyone though. And im by no means saying to try it. Im just stating what worked for me in the mean time until a new firmware is available. Your more then welcome to give it a go. But make sure you hard reset the router before doing this. And once it is up and running you don't have to add any of your devices in the reservation. I tested it both ways with or with out doing that and it stayed connected.. And Device Manager also works with this. Meaning it accurately showed what devices were online and off.  The chances that this will work for you is a 50/50.. 

Hang in there! 👍

Zippy.

Not an option to go full wireless, I`m not bad with networking and have tried all sorts of fixes,putting devices to static IP does not solve the issue,the router DC`s with orange light so that tells you something,also looking back on netgear forums this issue was present in 2018 so clearly it`s netgear the firmware running behind Doma OS, I`ll wait as it`s not the end of the world but if 3.0 does nothing I`m off back to Asus or TP links new AX spider.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 3:15 AM, ToOFeduP said:

Don't know if this will work for you but try disabling qos completely...

then whats the point of buying this router for gaming if the gaming features wont work? seems like a waste of money.

On 3/7/2020 at 1:46 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you have that if the DHCP server is disabled as well? I do understand your frustration, I am confident you'll be much happier when 3.0 is released.

so like an idiot I went and a bought 3rd XR500..... brand new router in less than a month it did the same internet cut off even it showed it was receiving internet twice. now I am starting to see again the same issues (sawtooth pattern in pingplotter like if it was congestion, inconsistent speeds, high jitter, higher ping) which I thought was my ISP but after running a test it is not my ISP. I ran a test as soon as I saw this happening I unhooked the PCs ethernet cable going to the router and plugged it into the ONT box (without resseting the ONT box) and ran a test on ookla speedtest and pingplotter. I didnt get no sawtooth pattern on pingplotter it was actually running normal. I ran some test on ookla speedtest and speed were pretty consistent jitter was always between 0.30-0.70 and ping remain a 1ms-2ms. 

I turned the router back on plugged the PC ethernet back into the router and what did I get? sawtooth patterns on pingplotter, inconsistent speeds in ookla with a jitter of 2.38 and a ping of 5ms-7ms. (I know it is not much but I am having issues when I play online for that I return the router which costs $300 for that I buy a $100 regular router or an ASUS which I really think about doing) 

so the issue is not a broken router or defective router if thats the case then you guys are sending out broken routers even when we calling and exchange them. the issue is an EXTREMELY buggy and broken .56 firmware. is there a firmware that is working properly? I know .32 is compromised on the XR500 sooooo I mean when is this new firmware coming? some dont have the time trying to figure what will work, some of us have to work from home and since the virus most of us have to work from home. do we have to file a complaint so that NETGEAR can send out the update? 

• Administrators

Could you try putting another router between the ONT and the XR please and see if you get those same results through the XR? I've seen someone else having some odd issues when plugged directly into the ONT and having a router between them resolved it. Not ideal I know but does help narrow down the issue.

16 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you try putting another router between the ONT and the XR please and see if you get those same results through the XR? I've seen someone else having some odd issues when plugged directly into the ONT and having a router between them resolved it. Not ideal I know but does help narrow down the issue.

made it worse (gameplay wise) is there a firmware that we can go back to?

• Administrators

That's fair enough because it wasn't optimized to work in that configuration - you would've had a double NAT - you can put the XR in its DMZ and that should resolve it. Did it fix the disconnects, speed inconsistencies and PingPlotter results etc?

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's fair enough because it wasn't optimized to work in that configuration - you would've had a double NAT - you can put the XR in its DMZ and that should resolve it. Did it fix the disconnects, speed inconsistencies and PingPlotter results etc?

no still the same

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

How long did you try with this configuration so you could rule out peak time affecting it? Were all devices connected to the XR as well?

I am currently doing the test still and there is no peak time it is random just like every other time. internet disconnect are just the 2 but well see. 

• Administrators

It seems odd to me that you would experience this on 3 separate routers when I've not seen issues this bad on any single persons router before. I'm thinking there must be some incompatibility with your setup. Who is your ISP and what is the make/model of the ONT?

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It seems odd to me that you would experience this on 3 separate routers when I've not seen issues this bad on any single persons router before. I'm thinking there must be some incompatibility with your setup. Who is your ISP and what is the make/model of the ONT?

ISP: frontier 

ONT box make: frontier communications and also see XGS-PON ONT above model

model: FOX222

my question is why would this router be the only one with the issue. also this issue is with the last 2 routers with the first one I had AT&T comcast and spectrum. also the router dropping the internet on all the devices except the router itself has been an issue for a lot of people not just me. if you go on best buy reviews for the router and even some online reviews they say this is a issue with the router even tho the router itself is amazing. ill wait for firmware 3.0 but I just got an asus gaming router I think I am going to test that out until then.

• Administrators

I've just had a look at the ONT and there seems to be multiple ethernet ports on it including a 10G port, have you tried the XR with each of those ports? I've also seen some reports that Froniter does use PPPoE in some cases, so I would double check the internet settings from one of the router that works and see if there is an inconsistencies with what the XR shows. The dropping internet yes but the others I've not seen before.

I joined the forums just to throw in my two cents on this topic. 

My company recently moved myself and all other system admins to working remote. We've all been using Cisco IP Communicators, Cisco any connect, while using Citrix virtual environments. Needless to say, slight deviations in internet stability can have very noticeable effects with all of these applications going at once. I've had my XR500 for about 2 months now and noticed that my work pc was dropping connections left and right, costing me a fair amount of down time.

Looking into the router, I determined it was having DHCP issues as well, the leases were renewing every hour for almost all of my devices in the house (~20ish). Now, my XR500 setup was already basically done, 100% of all devices named in device manager, QoS set up etc. I believe the source of the issue was that my isp had given me a modem/wifi combo and I did as most do and just disabled the wireless on it, connected it to the XR. I looked further into my issue, found the true admin login for the modem/router combo (not the one on the bottom of the device, this one was found on an obscure 4 comments reddit post from 2007), switched it to bridged mode and assigned every single device in my house a static ip. 

The stability improvements were immediately noticeable. No more random disconnects on my work pc, my note 10+ no longer bottoms out randomly, speed tests aren't spiking every other second etc. 

Before you throw away a pricy networking component, double check and make sure your XR wasn't piggy backing off a modem/router combo like mine was. 

I would like to know WHY mine is now disconnecting with these logs,which is clearly something to do Duma software ,just when I thought I had sorted out the dhcp issue this now keeps happening ,4 times last night when gaming ,what’s the pot of gaming router that disconnects you from your game...unreal

BC17FDFC-98F6-4324-8782-BB546FDFCB04.png

• Administrators

There is nothing in the logs indicating why it has reset. Did the whole internet go down when you were playing those 4 times or just that device? The IP address of the device it's marking is 192.168.1.13

No , I’m using Openreach modem as draytek Vigor 130 was giving me the dhcp issue ,modem stays connected ,there’s nothing that can be done and will have to wait for next firmware if my patience can withstand it .