XR500 Setup Advice (new owner)

I just recently purchased the XR500 and Arris SB8200 to replace my Nighthawk r7000 router and my Motorola SB6141 modem (and all new 5ft CAT-7 cables).  My current situation...there are 3 of us in the house.  I have a two Xbox ones and a PS4 hardwired to my XR500.  Then, there are about 9 other devices that connect via wifi (most 2G and a few on 5G).  There are many times where the two Xbox Ones are online at the same time, but I only use geo-filter for one of them (the one I play COD on).  The router is located in the FROG where all online console gaming happens, but most wireless devices are used downstairs.  My goal was to use the XR500 to improve my online gaming experience via geo-filter and have better WIFI presence downstairs.  I need setup advice to help with my setup mentioned above.  My first router upgrade choice was the Nighthawk X6S as it has 6 antennas.  Will the XR500 work with my current setup?  If not, should I just go with another router?

p.s. I setup the new modem and router yesterday about 5PM EST and work up this morning and no internet when I tried looking on my iPhone.  I was connected to the WIFI, but when I looked at the router the internet light was blinking (red or orange - I am colorblind lol).  I tried resetting the modem, then the router and nothing. So, I left the router on and just reset the modem and it came back online (flashing white light). 

I hope this makes sense and if you need more information, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!!

mz

When you reset the router with the pin hole, how long you hold down the button matters. I don't know why this is never discussed? When you hold down the reset button, first is starts to flash orange after 5-7 seconds. This is a factory reset at this point. If you hold it longer, it will flash white. This is now recovery mode. Now you can use a tftp program to flash the firmware. I'm not sure if this is accurate? Maybe Fraser can clear this up?

Just reread your post. I thought you meant your router was flashing white after a reset. But I see it was your modem. My bad. But this router is very flaky if you update the firmware and do not do a reset with the pin hole. It does weird things with the dhcp resetting both wan and lan. And imo if you're using multiple consoles, I would change the nat to open instead of secure to insure correct port mapping and open nat on all consoles.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Gaming-with-Full-Cone-vs-Symmetric-NAT-Routers/td-p/1346122

@Sunaikinti  I do believe that the Op was talking about his router with the flashing light turning white after a reset. His modem the SB8200 doesn't have white lights. At least not that im aware of. I beta tested that modem and I only recall green and blue. So you were correct with your first assumption..

I think imo the disconnect was caused by the DHCP renew/release of the router. Op should follow your suggestions and do a hard reset to the router after being on the current firmware. And let the router fully bootup before proceeding to configuring it. And I would recommend configuring it from scratch and not use a backup file.

The Op does have a lot of consoles so in his case he will likely need to select Open NAT in the WAN settings of his XR500. That usually ensures a FullCone NAT. Which is what one wants when gaming with that many consoles. 

Zippy.

• Administrators
On 2/29/2020 at 10:40 PM, MZJ said:

I just recently purchased the XR500 and Arris SB8200 to replace my Nighthawk r7000 router and my Motorola SB6141 modem (and all new 5ft CAT-7 cables).  My current situation...there are 3 of us in the house.  I have a two Xbox ones and a PS4 hardwired to my XR500.  Then, there are about 9 other devices that connect via wifi (most 2G and a few on 5G).  There are many times where the two Xbox Ones are online at the same time, but I only use geo-filter for one of them (the one I play COD on).  The router is located in the FROG where all online console gaming happens, but most wireless devices are used downstairs.  My goal was to use the XR500 to improve my online gaming experience via geo-filter and have better WIFI presence downstairs.  I need setup advice to help with my setup mentioned above.  My first router upgrade choice was the Nighthawk X6S as it has 6 antennas.  Will the XR500 work with my current setup?  If not, should I just go with another router?

p.s. I setup the new modem and router yesterday about 5PM EST and work up this morning and no internet when I tried looking on my iPhone.  I was connected to the WIFI, but when I looked at the router the internet light was blinking (red or orange - I am colorblind lol).  I tried resetting the modem, then the router and nothing. So, I left the router on and just reset the modem and it came back online (flashing white light). 

I hope this makes sense and if you need more information, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!!

mz

Hey, welcome to the forum!

As Zippy said switch NAT to Open in WAN Settings to prevent any NAT issues with your consoles. For WiFi I would suggest you use a WiFi analyzer - you can download one on your phone - and find the least congested channels in your area and then switch to that for 5GHz - leave 2.4GHz on auto. Make sure you disable Smart Connect to do this. The disconnect may have been a one off hopefully but as suggested hold the reset button in the back of the router down for 25 seconds and release then wait 1 minute before accessing the router again to setup. Also I would recommend you follow our optimal settings guides to ensure you set it up correctly and understand how the router works. http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

On 3/1/2020 at 3:52 AM, Sunaikinti said:

When you reset the router with the pin hole, how long you hold down the button matters. I don't know why this is never discussed? When you hold down the reset button, first is starts to flash orange after 5-7 seconds. This is a factory reset at this point. If you hold it longer, it will flash white. This is now recovery mode. Now you can use a tftp program to flash the firmware. I'm not sure if this is accurate? Maybe Fraser can clear this up?

It will only enter recovery mode for use with TFTP if you hold the reset button before you turn on the router, if you hold it down for longer when it is already on then this just ensures it factory resets correctly.

On 2/29/2020 at 11:03 PM, Sunaikinti said:

Just reread your post. I thought you meant your router was flashing white after a reset. But I see it was your modem. My bad. But this router is very flaky if you update the firmware and do not do a reset with the pin hole. It does weird things with the dhcp resetting both wan and lan. And imo if you're using multiple consoles, I would change the nat to open instead of secure to insure correct port mapping and open nat on all consoles.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Gaming-with-Full-Cone-vs-Symmetric-NAT-Routers/td-p/1346122

Thank you all for the great information and quick response!! :)

@Sunaikinti Yes, @Zippy is correct.  I was talking about my router in the OP.  So, your first response was right.  When I first setup my new XR500 there was a prompt for me to update the firmware.  With my R7000, I would always do a factory reset after any firmware update and I did not think about that for this router.  Probably a few more days, then I would have done that. LOL!!  Thank you so much for the suggestion.  So far...no connection issues.  

@Netduma Fraser Hey, thank you...happy to be here!  Do you see any reason for me to enable IPv6 with my current setup?  If not, why?  Are there issues with IPv6?  I have seen post that have mention issues when this is enabled, but wasn't sure if this was resolved in the latest firmware install.  My main goal (same as many if not all users) is to get the best coverage/speeds for all my 9 WIFI connected devices and the best gaming experience for all three of my console systems connected directly to the router.  Also, are there issues with QoS with the current firmware version.  If so, what are the issues and do they apply to setup?

Thank you,

mz

• Administrators

I would suggest keeping IPv6 disabled at it may not work optimally with QoS currently but we'll be resolving this for the next version. There are no specific QoS issues that I am aware of that would impact you and your setup but should you encounter any issues let us know and we'll be happy to work through them with you and hopefully come to a solution.

• 2 weeks later...