Another issue with device manager and network monitor not showing device or usage

Most of my devices are not showing up as online in device manager or showing any activity on the network monitor. Yes I am downloading a game on PS4 currently and it doesn't show up as online and shows no activity on the network snapshot. I am also using this laptop to stream music and send this and it isn't showing up as online or show any activity on the network snapshot. I could go reset the router and start all over and they would come back but only stay for a day or so until they all vanish again. I looked around and other have the same issue for quite a while yet all I ever saw was an admin saying someone would look into it but I didn't see a fix other than some people backed up the OS to a previous version. This issue is with both wired and wireless devices. The PS4 and this laptop are wired currently but my phone is wifi and doesn't show up while using wifi to stream YouTube with data disabled just to be sure it only has a connection to the router...

Do we have a fix other than restarting router over and over or using an old version of software?

The network overview seems to also be weird as it only shows an occasional spike in bandwidth used to around 29Mbps out of 175Mbps but usually hovers around 3 or 4 Mbps while the PS4 is downloading, TV is playing overwifi, phone is streaming YouTube and laptop is streaming Slacker. 

@elimont173 You are not alone by any means with this issue. And I have the XR500. Currently I have devices also stuck either online or off. All the same with what you have said above.This issue is over a year old and yet has been fixed. Maybe when the new firmware comes out it will fix this issue. I know of no other way to correct it other then a factory reset to the router. I personally don't like the idea of downgrading either. And I think if one does that might be a security risk.. Im sure @Killhippie could confirm that.. Hes a Netgear guru! 

Good luck!

Zippy.

Guest Killhippie
On 1/24/2020 at 5:16 AM, Zippy said:

@elimont173 You are not alone by any means with this issue. And I have the XR500. Currently I have devices also stuck either online or off. All the same with what you have said above.This issue is over a year old and yet has been fixed. Maybe when the new firmware comes out it will fix this issue. I know of no other way to correct it other then a factory reset to the router. I personally don't like the idea of downgrading either. And I think if one does that might be a security risk.. Im sure @Killhippie could confirm that.. Hes a Netgear guru! 

Good luck!

Zippy.

I would hardly call myself a Netgear Guru, Zippy, maybe I just have to much time on my hands ;)  but yes if you use any firmware lower than 2.3.2.56 on say the XR500 you open yourself up to a nasty Denial of Service attack on your router and LAN. The risk is all yours if you do downgrade, but if it goes wrong and you get caught out buy any of the patched security vulnerabilities they have warned you. Netgear wont really help you that much because they have posted that advisory as a way of saying "update now, if not its not our fault anything bad happened"  It's basically their disclaimer for responsibility if you didn't follow their advice, which is fair enough really.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061492/Security-Advisory-for-Denial-of-Service-on-Some-Routers-PSV-2019-0197

I understand a firmware update is currently being worked on but it's release date is unclear yet. Hopefully a patch for this issue is included in said update. Please note that although 
Netduma work on thier software ultimately it is down to Netgear when firmware is released as the hardware is their product. 

Guest Killhippie
42 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

I understand a firmware update is currently being worked on but it's release date is unclear yet. Hopefully a patch for this issue is included in said update. Please note that although 
Netduma work on thier software ultimately it is down to Netgear when firmware is released as the hardware is their product. 

The DoS issue was patched in 2.3.2.56, BIG_DOG.  It's the certificate disclosure issue that's effecting the XR700, R9000, R8900and RAX120. Hotfixes are meant to be incoming soon for that one. I just updated my RAX120 on Monday to a new firmware that was just released and now I 'll have to apply a hotfix as well <sigh> I wish Netgear would be more proactive as the hardware is great. After a while its hard to remember which vulnerability effects what router these days :)

11 hours ago, Killhippie said:

I would hardly call myself a Netgear Guru, Zippy, maybe I just have to much time on my hands ;)  but yes if you use any firmware lower than 2.3.2.56 you open yourself up to a nasty Denial of Service attack on your router and LAN. The risk is all yours if you do downgrade, but if it goes wrong and you get caught out buy any of the patched security vulnerabilities they have warned you about Netgear wont really help you that much because they have posted that advisory as a way of saying "update now, if not its not our fault anything bad happened"  It's basically their disclaimer for responsibility if you didn't follow their advice, which is fair enough really.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061492/Security-Advisory-for-Denial-of-Service-on-Some-Routers-PSV-2019-0197

Ha Ha I give you the badge of honor when it comes to the staying on top of Netgears stuff! And if you don't know it you seem to have always pointed me in the correct direction! So I have promoted you to that title. :D

Zippy. 

On 1/24/2020 at 5:52 AM, elimont173 said:

Yes I am downloading a game on PS4 currently and it doesn't show up as online and shows no activity on the network snapshot.

I had the exact same experience with my PS4, however I am using the XR300. It seems to be a bug affecting both routers and to be frank its really annoying as it deems the monitor capabilities of the router completely useless... 

I already raised the issue along with some other defects that are plaguing the XR300 firmware, however as the devs are spread thin with the DumaOS 3.0 development I don't foresee  we ll have a hot fix anytime soon.

29 minutes ago, George said:

I had the exact same experience with my PS4, however I am using the XR300. It seems to be a bug affecting both routers and to be frank its really annoying as it deems the monitor capabilities of the router completely useless... 

I already raised the issue along with some other defects that are plaguing the XR300 firmware, however as the devs are spread thin with the DumaOS 3.0 development I don't foresee  we ll have a hot fix anytime soon.

Hi. on the XR series of routers there is also netgears firmware that runs under dumaOS. So it is a bit more complicated implementing fixes as both Netduma and then Netgear do testing and then Netgear decide when updates are made available. 

I did mention above that there is work being done on a new firmware that Netduma are working on for the Xr500 range which @Killhippie and @Zippy is unaware of and not the firmware he thinks I meant in his above comment. I hope this is soon for everyone but we are aware of everyone's concern as we too including myself have the XR routers too. Have a lovely weekend everyone and happy gaming! :D 

8 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

Hi. on the XR series of routers there is also netgears firmware that runs under dumaOS. So it is a bit more complicated implementing fixes as both Netduma and then Netgear do testing and then Netgear decide when updates are made available. 

Look, as a software developer myself with 15+ years of experience in the field I completely get that. However its not about the underlying architectural complexity nor the potential delays due to cross-team approvals. As Alex pointed out most resources are focused on DumaOS 3.0 and not on a bug fixing. Cant be more clear than that... The Netduma team has prioritised the next version of DumaOS over patching holes in the problematic firmware of the XR series of routers:

10 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

I did mention above that there is work being done on a new firmware that Netduma are working on for the Xr500

I great news for the XR500, however as an XR300 owner not sure if this is going to be of any help   

14 minutes ago, George said:

Look, as a software developer myself with 15+ years of experience in the field I completely get that. However its not about the underlying architectural complexity nor the potential delays due to cross-team approvals. As Alex pointed out most resources are focused on DumaOS 3.0 and not on a bug fixing. Cant be more clear than that... The Netduma team has prioritised the next version of DumaOS over patching holes in the problematic firmware of the XR series of routers:

I great news for the XR500, however as an XR300 owner not sure if this is going to be of any help   

It will be for ALL XR routers.

Guest Killhippie
14 hours ago, Zippy said:

Ha Ha I give you the badge of honor when it comes to the staying on top of Netgears stuff! And if you don't know it you seem to have always pointed me in the correct direction! So I have promoted you to that title. :D

Zippy. 

As long as I've helped one person at some point that's all that matters Zippy. Glad to hear Ive pointed you in the right direction when needed, that makes all the research and bug testing worth it. 😊

4 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

It will be for ALL XR routers.

That would be nice. Fingers crossed that we will soon have such a release. At least from my experience right now with the XR300, the latest firmware is in an alpha or beta state at best. Absolutely unacceptable, so let’s hope a bug fix release will be out soon. 

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum @elimont173

Unfortunately as you've discovered the only 'fixes' currently are to reboot the router or to downgrade the firmware. We're confident that 3.0 will resolve most of the issues people are seeing currently due to 3.0 itself encompassing reworks of existing features which should eliminate existing bugs without specifically going to fix them if that makes sense and once released it will be A LOT easier to have fixes out there faster without having to wait as long.

• 1 year later...

Hi Elimont173, Just curious of you or your son/daughter BOT'd the device as a fake recognized user without going via the password route. The script for this is already out their on the internet. My son did and since then the router has not been seeing other devices on the network snapshot. He has been told off. My next step will be to do a factory reset. I suspect the BOT messed up some underlying DumaOS parts that are not normally available for general admin purposes. Regards, GazUK.

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, GazUK said:

Hi Elimont173, Just curious of you or your son/daughter BOT'd the device as a fake recognized user without going via the password route. The script for this is already out their on the internet. My son did and since then the router has not been seeing other devices on the network snapshot. He has been told off. My next step will be to do a factory reset. I suspect the BOT messed up some underlying DumaOS parts that are not normally available for general admin purposes. Regards, GazUK.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Would you be able to PM me where you've found this please?