Is anyone adding artificial latency to the game? Teach me!

Grafti

I've had very few number of good games in this MW, but the very few I had were with a ping around 60-65ms.

The problem is that is kinda hard to get that ping. The major part of servers and peers I connect gives me <50ms wich is not enough for a good game.

Forcing a Server is quite impossible. Further than Germany the game takes soooooooo loooooong to find a single lobby, and when it does, the ping is higher than the wished.

I know that some user like @kinel are doing this and getting good results. I'm trying, but I have several Issues.

By the way, I'm having lot of trouble to share my PC connection with my xBox. I was succesful only once, and I tried to add lag with a programm call Network Manager (I think this was the name...) wich gaves me the ammount of latency I wanted in some speedtest, but did not work on geophilter with the xbox, although I was sharing PC connection with the console.

So is there an easy way to do this? Please, share here if yo do so, how do you do, and comment your results 😊

Ive done this through multiple methods and the results are always inconsistent.  Ive connected to a vpn that raises my ping but still bad games, on top of that ive used other tools.  The packets being received on a good network are the issue, their are just so many players with average connections.  I hate to say it but unless you can figure out how to slow down your packet rate, thats the only fix

It's possible to do it through a PC with internet connection sharing or a bridged connection, you need specialized software though which is not cheap.

But the results are inconsistent like ugotstretched says. You can also do other funky business like throttling, bursting and inducing packetlossbut the results are highly inconsistent.

The only thing I found is that it reduces some wonkyness in killcams. But if you didn't have a killcam you would not have a idea about that anyway. Also if you happen to have a good lobby where everybody has low latency you are hurting yourself instead since your hit detection is also slowed down.

So seems that wathever I do, I’m in a check-mate.

Thinking seriosly of giving up with the game.

What does “wonkyness” means? (My english is a bit...) Are you meaning that killcams where you are a second behind? Yes, I have LOTS of this!

About that killcam.

What I think they have changed is that they have adopted a lag compensation / latency balancing model which works on extrapolation rather than interpolation which was used by the older games.

Basicly on a interpolation model, your client receives 2-3 updates from the server, stores them in memory and then draws the playermodel. The obvious disadvantage is that you get something that is called interpolation lag, which acts on top of your connection lag. The advantage is that there is never any doubt as to where the enemy was.

By using extrapolation model, the server takes your last position and direction and speed, and calculates where you would be in realtime. The advantage of this is that player to player lag, or player desync is much smaller compared to a interpolation based model. But it creates some errors since the server can't 100% predict where you would be going. If you revisit the Battlenonsense netcode video, one of the things that stand out is the very low player to player delay, 60ms for 2 clients running 27ms ping. That means there is about 33ms processing time involved, or 1-2 updates. which is too short for a interpolation based model.

This was a video I watched this morning:

Never mind the video, pay attention at what happens at 0:40

He was about to enter the building, the enemy comes storming out of the door and shotguns him. But now watch the killcam. On the killcam, he was the one storming into the building and the player killed him inside. So in both cases, the player model was moved forward, the shotgunner was already outside on his screen and he was already inside on the killcam.

I am in the middle of testing a few things. basicly if player extrapolation is based on your latency, you can influence this by using asymmetrical latency. Ie if you give the game 100ms of lag, it probably can't tell if you have 10ms downstream ping and 90ms upstream ping, or if you have a 50/50 split. This would influence how much characters are being brought forward.

Yes, that video on 0:40 shows my daily reality. Game after game, match after match.
That program I was using allows you to configure your output and input latency. The problem is that, as I said, I don’t know how to bring this modifications to the game.
Please, post here your results. For sure it will help.