teething problems or something deeper?

So i took the plunge and bought a XR500 on black friday to replace an ageing but generally rock solid linksys ac3 router

I Have been running Live with the xr500 since last Sunday 8th Dec and haven't managed to to last more than 3 days without having an issue

im in the uk on bt fibre via an ECI 061513 VDSL modem plugged into the XR500 that is then connected directly to 2 pcs several switches a couple of EX7700's one on first floor 1 on 2nd

so my problem seems to be dhcp based i belive every couple of days it just seems to refuse to give out new ip's the other day everything wired still worked ok but anything on wireless wouldnt get an ip and i couldnt log into the router directly using 192.168.1.1 i just times out every time so hard reset started again 

this has happened a couple of times  and now today trying to start up my lads xbox (was off not in standby) it wouldn't get an ip address and when i tried said dhcp wasnt responding router seemed ok could log in this time although 1 of the apps just constantly had the whirling icon and again desktops worked fine and could access web

tried all the usual things i work in IT support BTW config is still pretty much as it was before i changed router only thing that was added was the 2nd EX ohh qos is disabled as thought that could be the problem im on latest firmware and running out of ideas as to what it could be please help while i have some hair left

TIA

PAul/Tallone

• Administrators

Is the XR500 handling PPPoE? Have you tried setting a static IP for one of the wireless devices to see if next time it goes down if the wireless device stays connected? Do you always have to reset or reboot when it happens or does the connection ever return on its own? What firmware are you on?

Yes its handling PPPoE havent tried the static address i do have 1 item with a reserved ip so ill try to remember to check that next time having said that the xbox that couldn't get an ip earlier is wired and im on V2.3.2.56 firmware

• Administrators

It's possible DHCP isn't working correctly due to PPPoE - QoS doesn't work optimally with PPPoE at the moment. Are you able to use another router in between the XR and modem to handle PPPoE if static IPs for both wired and wireless devices don't help?

• Administrators

Okay great, no you'd keep the XR as it is. All you'd need to do is set it up like this modem > old router (PPPoE, WiFi off & XR WAN IP in DMZ) > XR and then see if you still experience the issue. Would suggest trying the static IPs first and then doing that if it doesn't work.

Guest Killhippie
On 12/20/2019 at 8:08 AM, quadrophenic said:

PPPoE doesn't work optimally with QoS? Well that's worrying.

PPPoE being the most universal way of connecting to VDSL2 in the UK and many other countries, so I would have to agree. How could the devs missed that during writing Milestone 1.3 especially while the router it was based on had PPPoE working fine! (R7800.) There is no excuse for that.

Well its 20/12/2019, lets hope 2020 brings more than one official firmware update (2.3.2.56) and a bunch of bugs that never got fixed, and that 3.0 will improve the lacklustre performance of DumaOS for many of us and include the basics like PPPoE, VLAN tagging and IPv6. In 2019 it's hard to justify a router at this price point that cant do the basics, let alone in 2020 when cheaper AX routers will be flooding the markets along with more AX clients. AC routers are going to be old news really and most companies will be updating there portfolio with AX gear.

6 hours ago, Killhippie said:

PPPoE being the most universal way of connecting to VDSL2 in the UK and many other countries, so I would have to agree. How could that get missed that during writing Milestone 1.3 especially while the router it was based on had PPPoE working fine! (R7800) . There is no excuse for that.

Well its 20/12/2019, lets hope 2020 brings more than one official firmware update (2.3.2.56) and a bunch of bugs that never got fixed, and that 3.0 will improve the lacklustre performance of DumaOS for many of us and include the basics like PPPoE, VLAN tagging and IPv6. In 2019 it's hard to justify a router at this price point that cant do the basics, let alone in 2020 when cheaper AX routers will be flooding the markets along with more AX clients. AC routers are going to be old news really and most companies will be updating there portfolio with AX gear.

Well this is News to me that Qos and PPPoE does not work Optimally with the XR500,think he just dropped a bomb right there,think I will turn mine off then.... roll on 2020 when hopefully this router gets the better support it was promised on numerous of occasions, can`t even get devices listed,maybe look at how Asus do it.... this router is like Battlefield 5.... LOL 

I think it's mostly VLAN tagging giving issues with QoS, not so much the PPPoE. At least according to my testing. PPPoE is an issue for the old R1 but not for the XR models.

If your switches have layer 3 capabilities, it's a simple workaround. Create a 2 port VLAN in the switch that is named the same as your ISP VLAN. Run a cable from modem to that port. From the other port run a cable to the XR500's WAN. Configure the port to your modem as tagged and configure the port to your XR500 as untagged and PVID same as the VLAN ID. Then just run a cable from your XR500's LAN to the port you want to connect to the switch.

This also has the benefit that you can relocate the router to a better place to make use of it's wifi.