fios and Xr500

Is there a way for me to use the xr500 as my primary router and have the fios router behind the xr500?  When i try to do this the cable works but the on demand and the recording movies setting dont work.  I read it could be something with moca?  Im tired of having this verizon router as the main router cause of this on demand crap

Well the first question is whether the Fios router is also a modem. The XR500 isn't a modem, so if the modem is built into the Fios router, that's a problem. If your ISP modem is separate from your ISP router then you might be ok.

There are several options, but as you say, connecting the XR500 without the Fios router involved might cause some of the ISP services to stop working. It's possible that they use VLAN tagging to sort out the On Demand data from the other data, and that would be hard to recreate on the XR500.

We could set the Fios router up to just forward everything to the XR500, but then the QoS might not be reliable as there would be video traffic coming through that the XR500 would not be able to factor into it's Anti-Bufferbloat calculations.

Anyway first thing's first, do you have a separate ISP modem and router?

I believe its just a router, i think the modem part is taking care of by the ont box outside my house abd in my basement

7 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Well the first question is whether the Fios router is also a modem. The XR500 isn't a modem, so if the modem is built into the Fios router, that's a problem. If your ISP modem is separate from your ISP router then you might be ok.

There are several options, but as you say, connecting the XR500 without the Fios router involved might cause some of the ISP services to stop working. It's possible that they use VLAN tagging to sort out the On Demand data from the other data, and that would be hard to recreate on the XR500.

We could set the Fios router up to just forward everything to the XR500, but then the QoS might not be reliable as there would be video traffic coming through that the XR500 would not be able to factor into it's Anti-Bufferbloat calculations.

Anyway first thing's first, do you have a separate ISP modem and router?

• Administrators

Try ont > XR > fios with IGMP Proxying enabled in the WAN Settings of the XR, I think if your ISP services are going to work that's the only way if the XR doesn't require VLAN tags when plugged directly into the ONT. That's assuming it's a service you have access to without a box. If you have a box then I think the moca adapter is likely the only way to go. In most cases they tie the services to the router they provide to prevent you using other routers and depending on the company ensure you have to pay a rental fee for the router.

• 1 year later...

Hey opening up this thread again bc I’m looking for the best way to hook up Fios tv with my XR1000. I’ve tried several ways including LAN-LAN and followed all steps. What Alex said above about the video traffic throwing off the QoS is what I believe to be what’s happening to my network. I just bought a moca adapter but anyone have any suggestions for FIOS bridges or best setups? 

When I enabled IGMP, I started heavily lagging everywhere :( and issue isn’t that it doesn’t work with or without QoS, but I monitor ping plotter heavily and I can tell the latency jumps up whenever an Stb is turned on

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, fiefo said:

When I enabled IGMP, I started heavily lagging everywhere :( and issue isn’t that it doesn’t work with or without QoS, but I monitor ping plotter heavily and I can tell the latency jumps up whenever an Stb is turned on

Is it ticked or unticked? Ticked means you've disabled it. You could try adding it to Traffic Prioritization specifically to see if that helps.

I tried for a month to get this to work a few years ago when I still had cable with Fios.  I eventually just dropped the cable, enabled the Ethernet port on the ONT and just used the Netduma while tossing the Fios router in a box. This was with the R1 though as it's been a few years.