Help with Vodaphone Fibre Broadband

• 2 weeks later...

I’m living in the UK and I’m having the same problem. For internet, I have to connect my Vodafone router (via a RJ-11 cable) into my master socket. I obviously have a Vodafone router, but I don’t use a modem, it’s not necessary for my internet. I’m so confused on how to set up this router with my internet. Have you had any success regarding this or are you still struggling? 

On 5/27/2020 at 12:33 PM, DjimiDay said:

Hang on! Wifi is now working from my phone on netgear! Don't tell me it's over! It's finally over!! 

On 5/27/2020 at 6:12 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Brilliant! Glad it is all working now. Can we consider the issue resolved?

What did you do to get it working? Do you have a modem or not? 

So you connect to your Vodafone router from the hole in the wall? That means the router has an internal modem.

You have two options at this point:

1. Obtain a standalone modem for your connection type. I personally use a Draytek Vigor. It didn't take any configuration on the modem itself, I just had to enter my PPPoE details on my Netduma router. However, I have BT Infinity, so perhaps your results would vary?
  2. Set up your DumaOS router underneath your existing router. In order for this to work, you'll want to disable WiFi on the Vodafone router, and make sure that the only connected LAN device is the DumaOS router. Connect a LAN port on the Vodafone to the WAN port on the XR500. Once you have internet on the XR500, connect all of your devices to it. You may need to configure DMZ on the Vodafone router after this to get rid of Double NAT errors. I can help you to do that.

You mentioned configure DMZ to my Vodafone router? Could you please go into a little more detail regarding why this may be helpful? I have managed to get internet on my XR500 now, but if you think it is necessary for me to “configure DMZ” I’m not particularly sure what to put or how to acquire that information? I did manage to see DMZ on my VodafoneConnect (my Vodafone router’s settings basically) but I obviously didn’t manage to put anything, I just left it. 

@Crlsn so is your vodafone router in modem mode because if not, you may face double nat issues which is one of the reasons which is why you should use a modem as you would essentially be double routing. Pretty sure you would lose some speed aswell but dont quote me.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

One of the ways of getting around double nat is by setting the DMZ IP address on your vodafone router to the address of your XR500 as it forwards everyport to your XR500 which then manages itself but in my opinion the modem is the more elegent solution as its just plug and play.

Guest Killhippie
4 hours ago, iMoD1998 said:

@Crlsn so is your vodafone router in modem mode because if not, you may face double nat issues which is one of the reasons which is why you should use a modem as you would essentially be double routing. Pretty sure you would lose some speed aswell but dont quote me.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

One of the ways of getting around double nat is by setting the DMZ IP address on your vodafone router to the address of your XR500 as it forwards everyport to your XR500 which then manages itself but in my opinion the modem is the more elegent solution as its just plug and play.

I believe the Vodafone modem cant be put into bridge (modem only) mode so yes probably double nat. double everything probably. Why not just buy a modem? As has been said its plug and play.

8 hours ago, Crlsn said:

You mentioned configure DMZ to my Vodafone router? Could you please go into a little more detail regarding why this may be helpful? I have managed to get internet on my XR500 now, but if you think it is necessary for me to “configure DMZ” I’m not particularly sure what to put or how to acquire that information? I did manage to see DMZ on my VodafoneConnect (my Vodafone router’s settings basically) but I obviously didn’t manage to put anything, I just left it. 

I can't give you specific instructions because I don't have a Vodafone router to hand, so I can't try it myself, but here are the basic steps, might require a little googling to get the specifics:

• On your XR500, go to the System Information page, you should see WAN IP listed. Write this down.
  • Go to the Vodafone router's configuration interface (in a browser just like DumaOS)
  • Set the XR500's IP as reserved. On some units this is quite easy, you just have to tick Always use this IP on the device. On others, you'll need to choose the XR500 from a list of connected devices and type in the WAN IP from the previous step.
  • Now find the DMZ settings, and type in the reserved IP from the previous step. On some units, you just have to choose the XR500 from a list again.

Unfortunately all units vary in terms of how they display this information, so I can't be very specific in my instructions. What you're aiming to do is to make sure that the XR500 always has the same address, and then you're opening all ports for that address so that your games can get open NAT.

If you can't figure out how to reserve an IP on the Vodafone side, you COULD set the IP as static on the XR500. I've had experiences in the past where this has caused problems, but if there's no other devices connected directly to the Vodafone, it could work.

Guest Killhippie
52 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

I can't give you specific instructions because I don't have a Vodafone router to hand, so I can't try it myself, but here are the basic steps, might require a little googling to get the specifics:

• On your XR500, go to the System Information page, you should see WAN IP listed. Write this down.
  • Go to the Vodafone router's configuration interface (in a browser just like DumaOS)
  • Set the XR500's IP as reserved. On some units this is quite easy, you just have to tick Always use this IP on the device. On others, you'll need to choose the XR500 from a list of connected devices and type in the WAN IP from the previous step.
  • Now find the DMZ settings, and type in the reserved IP from the previous step. On some units, you just have to choose the XR500 from a list again.

Unfortunately all units vary in terms of how they display this information, so I can't be very specific in my instructions. What you're aiming to do is to make sure that the XR500 always has the same address, and then you're opening all ports for that address so that your games can get open NAT.

If you can't figure out how to reserve an IP on the Vodafone side, you COULD set the IP as static on the XR500. I've had experiences in the past where this has caused problems, but if there's no other devices connected directly to the Vodafone, it could work.

Or get a modem, its so much simpler and more secure. With DMZ you identify your network areas. Internal: critical systems; DMZ: systems you can afford to be "exposed", systems you want to host services to the outside world, e.g. your SSH hosts; External: the rest of the world, you set up these separate areas on your network. Your firewalls/routers are then configured to allow direct connections from the outside world only to the DMZ. Correspondingly, your internal systems should be able to connect only to the DMZ and access the outside world via HTTPS, application proxies, mail relays etc. there. Your firewall rules should reflect these decisions by blocking the corresponding traffic directions/IPs/ports: e.g. inward allow only ports for services operating in the DMZ etc. Ideally you should configure any services exchanging information between network areas (internal, DMZ, external) to be initiated from the most secure network segment to the less secure areas, e.g. If you need to transfer files to "inside" hosts have the inside systems initiate the transfer (have the client role, rather than the server role).

Basically with your network, a zone (demilitarized zone) may be a physical or logical sub-network that separates an inside native space network (LAN) from different untrusted networks, sometimes the net. External-facing servers, resources and services are placed within the zone so that they are accessible from the net however the remainder of the interior computer network remains unreached. This provides an extra layer of security to the computer network because it restricts the power of hackers to directly access internal servers and information via the net.

I was under the impression that as long as you had one secure router with a firewall between you and the outside world, you'd be okay.

Like if you enable port scan protection on the XR500 surely the fact that the initial router is open doesn't matter?

5 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

I was under the impression that as long as you had one secure router with a firewall between you and the outside world, you'd be okay.

Like if you enable port scan protection on the XR500 surely the fact that the initial router is open doesn't matter?

But what can be injected into that router that’s open for all to see. That’s why it’s more secure to have a modem and the router. 

Guest Killhippie
On 6/11/2020 at 5:42 PM, Netduma Alex said:

Using DMZ means that it will have all its router ports open and respond to internet queries and pings though, that must weaken security surely, because the router you are using as a modem is now open to attack and this is the primary connection to your ISP. I see your point about the firewall but its still in my view reduced the level of security of your network. A straight modem or fully bridged router is always going to be safer. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 11:08 PM, Crlsn said:

What did you do to get it working? Do you have a modem or not? 

I used a TP link and set it to modem mode. But recently the XR500 has stopped giving out Internet altogether so am now back using the standard Vodafone hub. :(

I'm thinking about factory resetting my XR500 and getting a Draytek Vigor and starting again. Is a factory reset going to be a massive pain in the backside? Just thought it might get any gremlins of the system. 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, DjimiDay said:

I'm thinking about factory resetting my XR500 and getting a Draytek Vigor and starting again. Is a factory reset going to be a massive pain in the backside? Just thought it might get any gremlins of the system. 

If something has gone wrong I'd suggest first reinstalling the firmware before it's booted to get rid of any firmware issues, then perform a factory reset. Depends how much customisation you've done really as to how annoying it will be.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

On 6/11/2020 at 5:42 PM, Netduma Alex said:

I am thinking of getting a Draytek Vigor modem (the same as yours) I am switching over to Virgin Media next month (4th August) for faster internet speeds, but I was wondering if you could help me with how I should setup the Virgin router, Draytek modem and my XR500? It won’t come with a modem, it’s a built in modem router (same as Vodafone, I believe) Also, if I connect my XR500 just to my Virgin router, my NAT Type will stay as “Moderate”and will never be “Open”? I presume the process will be the same as Vodafone, but I’m not sure. Will all three have to be connected (Virgin router, Draytek modem, XR500) or just the two (Draytek modem and XR500)? 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Crlsn said:

I am thinking of getting a Draytek Vigor modem (the same as yours) I am switching over to Virgin Media next month (4th August) for faster internet speeds, but I was wondering if you could help me with how I should setup the Virgin router, Draytek modem and my XR500? It won’t come with a modem, it’s a built in modem router (same as Vodafone, I believe) Also, if I connect my XR500 just to my Virgin router, my NAT Type will stay as “Moderate”and will never be “Open”? I presume the process will be the same as Vodafone, but I’m not sure. Will all three have to be connected (Virgin router, Draytek modem, XR500) or just the two (Draytek modem and XR500)? 

To have an open NAT with the XR and Virgin router (which I do personally also being with Virgin) is to put the XR in the DMZ of the Virgin hub. If you wanted to replace the Virgin hub with the Draytek then I believe you will need a MoCa adapter to convert the coaxial connection to ethernet (if the Draytek doesn't have a coaxial connection) then connect the MoCa to Draytek and Draytek to XR500. 

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

To have an open NAT with the XR and Virgin router (which I do personally also being with Virgin) is to put the XR in the DMZ of the Virgin hub. If you wanted to replace the Virgin hub with the Draytek then I believe you will need a MoCa adapter to convert the coaxial connection to ethernet (if the Draytek doesn't have a coaxial connection) then connect the MoCa to Draytek and Draytek to XR500. 

I don’t want to replace the Virgin Hub, I just want to have an open nat type. Will I have to connect all three for it to work? Will I lose speeds if I have the Draytek modem or will it be better than just using the Virgin Hub and XR500

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Crlsn said:

I don’t want to replace the Virgin Hub, I just want to have an open nat type. Will I have to connect all three for it to work? Will I lose speeds if I have the Draytek modem or will it be better than just using the Virgin Hub and XR500

In that case there is no need to get a separate modem at all. You can simply use the DMZ method I described above to get an Open NAT when using a gaming device connected to the XR500. 

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

In that case there is no need to get a separate modem at all. You can simply use the DMZ method I described above to get an Open NAT when using a gaming device connected to the XR500. 

But KillHippie said this: “Using DMZ means that it will have all its router ports open and respond to internet queries and pings though, that must weaken security surely, because the router you are using as a modem is now open to attack and this is the primary connection to your ISP. I see your point about the firewall but its still in my view reduced the level of security of your network. A straight modem or fully bridged router is always going to be safer”

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Crlsn said:

But KillHippie said this: “Using DMZ means that it will have all its router ports open and respond to internet queries and pings though, that must weaken security surely, because the router you are using as a modem is now open to attack and this is the primary connection to your ISP. I see your point about the firewall but its still in my view reduced the level of security of your network. A straight modem or fully bridged router is always going to be safer”

The Virgin hub will be passing traffic straight through to the XR500 which has its own firewall. Alternatively you could put the Virgin hub in modem mode and that will be better.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The Virgin hub will be passing traffic straight through to the XR500 which has its own firewall. Alternatively you could put the Virgin hub in modem mode and that will be better.

Will I be getting my full speeds? How do I put my virgin hub in modem mode? What would you recommend I do if I don’t want to get the Draytek 

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Crlsn said:

Will I be getting my full speeds? How do I put my virgin hub in modem mode? What would you recommend I do if I don’t want to get the Draytek 

There shouldn't be any issues with getting your speeds when in modem mode. Access the Virgin interface using 192.168.0.1 and there is an option for modem mode on the left. That is what I would recommend instead of getting the draytek.