Help with Vodaphone Fibre Broadband

Hi, 

I hope I'm ok to start a new post, I did search for Vodafone but couldn't find a thread that had the the specifics. 

I've just moved house & got a new Internet provider - Vodafone. Tried setting up the XR500 as before but could not get anything to work so went back to the Vodafone hub. 

Can anyone talk me through the set-up on vodaphone? Not sure vodaphone has a modem mode. With plusnet I was using a cheap TP link router which I someone managed to put in modem mode & eventually got it working. 

As it stands my netduma is sitting their obsolete but want to set it up for modern warfare. 

Also have any vodaphone customers had much success with their stock router for gaming? First impressions are quite good as has a very user friendly app & the boost function to certain devices seems quite good. 

Many thanks 

JD

You may have to connect your XR500 underneath the Vodafone hub. Your Vodafone hub would be connected as normal, but you'd turn wifi off, then you'd connect one of the LAN ports of the hub to the WAN port of the XR500.

After that, you'd go to System Information in DumaOS and write down the WAN IP. Then you'd log into the hub and see if you could reserve the XR500's IP address. Once that was done, you'd put that IP address into the DMZ.

Let me know if you need help doing this!

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators
4 hours ago, DjimiDay said:

Still not managed to sort this yet. Anyone know how I can reserve the Dumas IP address on the vodaphone hub? 

If you access the Vodafone interface then they should have a section called LAN Settings, in there you should be able to set a static/reserved IP for the XR500. If you're not sure what its existing IP is then take a look on the XR in System Information at the WAN IP. I would suggest you select the IP address it already has. If you need help with this let us know the model of the Vodafone hub and we can try to find some information to be more specific.

• 3 weeks later...

Also I have a TP link that I used as a 'modem' with my last provider. Would that be simpler? I wish you could just buy a thid2 party router such as the netgear xr500 & just plug it in & it work without all this faffing. When you're not a techy person it's near impossible to fix. Oh well back to the vodaphone hub. 

I'm on Vodaphone Fibre and have an XR300

You want the WAN/Internet Ethernet connection on the XR500 wired to one of the hub connections on the Vodaphone Router/Modem

The good news is the current VF Router will recognise the device and assign it in the router interface.

What you need to do is assign the external interface of the XR500 to a static IP address on the Vodaphone router and then add it to the DMZ of the Vodaphone router.

The pics attached show what it looks like on my VF router. (My IP address is obscured for obvious reasons)

You'll find the NAT/DMZ setting under Internet and the static DHCP setting under settings

btw with Vodafone you have to use their router you can't replace it with any other router as they will not give you the info necessary to connect a third party router directly to their system.

VFr1.JPG

VFR2.JPG

On 3/24/2020 at 1:23 PM, Netduma Alex said:

Hmm, what happens if you click the Local Network option on that last screenshot?

You get these options I think. 

On 3/25/2020 at 7:09 PM, Malt said:

You want the WAN/Internet Ethernet connection on the XR500 wired to one of the hub connections on the Vodaphone Router/Modem

The good news is the current VF Router will recognise the device and assign it in the router interface.

What you need to do is assign the external interface of the XR500 to a static IP address on the Vodaphone router and then add it to the DMZ of the Vodaphone router.

The pics attached show what it looks like on my VF router. (My IP address is obscured for obvious reasons)

You'll find the NAT/DMZ setting under Internet and the static DHCP setting under settings

btw with Vodafone you have to use their router you can't replace it with any other router as they will not give you the info necessary to connect a third party router directly to their system.

VFr1.JPG

VFR2.JPG

Thank you. Will give it another go this weekend. 

IMG-20200324-WA0037.jpeg

IMG-20200324-WA0041.jpeg

IMG-20200324-WA0024.jpeg

VFr1.JPG

VFR2.JPG

Thank you. Sorry accidentally attached pics to wrong reply. Was really fiddly on phone. 

VFr1.JPG

VFR2.JPGDid your XR300 automatically come up in interface? Vodafone hub didn't recognise my xr500? So couldn't work out how to assign an IP. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, DjimiDay said:

Think that's my issue, the XR500 doesn't come up with a connected device in the hub. Any idea how to fix this? Is there a setting in the duma OS? 

I'm not sure what you mean, the hub doesn't show the XR WAN IP as a connected device?

That's correct. When I plug the XR500 the same as Malt says, it doesn't come up in the interface as a 'connected device'. So cannot assign it an IP or do anything else with it. Was wondering if there's a setting on the netgear that is preventing it from being 'seen' by the Vodafone hub. 

The current vodafone router Vodafone AFF2EF autodetects the XR300 and names it as a XR300 with no manual editing.

If its not autodetecting and you have wired it as indicated , you either have a bad ethernet cable or you are using a crossover ethernet cable.

I bought and setup my XR300 less than a week ago and it was really simple , plug and play.

If you look at the ends of the ethernet cable (inside the connector) the standard wiring colours are (left to right)

white/orange orange white/green blue white/blue green white/brown brown and each end should be identically wired

the exact colours don't matter as long as they match at each end 

here is a link to a diagram https://sites.psu.edu/wsithelp/2017/07/20/cat5-network-cable-wiring-diagram/

Each end should be identical for proper operation 

Update to previous comment: Vodafone are now allowing people to get their usernames and passwords for their fibre broadband. You will be able to use your own VDSL2 modem with Vodafone Fibre. You can obtain the details for your connection via the chat app on the vodafone website.

I am sucessfully using a TP-Link Td-W9980 in bridge mode with Vodafone and an XR300.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 4:07 AM, Malt said:

Update to previous comment: Vodafone are now allowing people to get their usernames and passwords for their fibre broadband. You will be able to use your own VDSL2 modem with Vodafone Fibre. You can obtain the details for your connection via the chat app on the vodafone website.

I am sucessfully using a TP-Link Td-W9980 in bridge mode with Vodafone and an XR300.

Thanks Malt. So I should be able to use theTP link as before?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DjimiDay said:

Yes sounds like it, I'd suggest putting it behind the XR in AP mode if you're able to get a connection straight to the XR.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 4:07 AM, Malt said:

Hi guys. I've set up the TP link in bridge only mode. I've now successfully connected the netgear and have put in the vodaphone details they gave me into Internet setup settings. Changed connection mode to always on. I've now got 'connected but no Internet' with the WiFi. 

Any ideas? I'd appreciate a swift reply as will have to put the bleeding vodaphone hub back in if I can't get WiFi. Then I'll lose all my progress. 

Many thanks