Help with Vodaphone Fibre Broadband

Of course, thank you very much. I’ll do that then. I’ve just read that the ideal NAT type to have for PS4 is NAT Type 2, Moderate? Apparently although it’s possible to be thought that NAT Type 1, Open is ideal, it’s “not advised to set your router to it. It may eliminate unwanted disconnections, but it’ll leave your network type completely vulnerable. The real NAT sweet spot is NAT Type 2, Moderate.” That’s currently what I’m on anyways? How am I able to maintain this? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 6:23 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

There shouldn't be any issues with getting your speeds when in modem mode. Access the Virgin interface using 192.168.0.1 and there is an option for modem mode on the left. That is what I would recommend instead of getting the draytek.

So I’ve just received my Virgin hub and I’m now looking to put it into modem mode and use my XR500. Do I have to input any details from Virgin into my XR500’s settings or do I input XR500 details into my Virgin settings? I’m basically just asking for a general step to step guide on what to do now 

• Administrators

For modem mode there aren't settings that you need to change other than just enabling the modem mode on the Virgin Hub and they should both then work together. If you have any issues with modem mode then I would suggest using the DMZ mode instead - that's what I do with my Virgin Hub.

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

For modem mode there aren't settings that you need to change other than just enabling the modem mode on the Virgin Hub and they should both then work together. If you have any issues with modem mode then I would suggest using the DMZ mode instead - that's what I do with my Virgin Hub.

I am currently using it in modem mode with no issues and my NAT Type is on “Open” Thank you very much

On 8/4/2020 at 2:21 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I’d just like to add, I’m currently on the 540 Mbps line for Virgin, yet I’m experiencing 3.4-5.6ms jitter? What could be the reasoning for this? I experienced little to no jitter on my 64 Mbps line with Vodafone? In order to get Virgin, they obviously had to do some external work and had to drill. I seem to be getting my speeds, but I don’t think my jitter should be so high for my speeds, but I wouldn’t know. Could it be because I’m using a 3rd party router? 

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, Crlsn said:

I’d just like to add, I’m currently on the 540 Mbps line for Virgin, yet I’m experiencing 3.4-5.6ms jitter? What could be the reasoning for this? I experienced little to no jitter on my 64 Mbps line with Vodafone? In order to get Virgin, they obviously had to do some external work and had to drill. I seem to be getting my speeds, but I don’t think my jitter should be so high for my speeds, but I wouldn’t know. Could it be because I’m using a 3rd party router? 

Latency and bandwidth speeds don't really have a correlation. You can have really slow speeds but very low latency or very high speeds with high latency. Some people do mention that Virgin Media isn't great for gaming as the latency is higher and not as stable so that is likely the reason.