WiFi Disconnection

Dante Soulest

So for awhile now I've been suffering from random drops in my Wifi connection. These usually occur a few hours separate from one another, but have had it occur twice in an hour before. This does nothing to my hard wired devices as they are able to work perfectly fine while the devices on wifi are working or down and not working. The wifi enabled devices still show they are connected to the router, but they can't go to any websites or watch videos. I thought this would clear up by following a bunch of things I saw online from changing frequency channels, rebooting with various settings changed, to messing with the workaround option thing with previously mentioned settings changes. It is a fairly decent annoyance that occurs regularly and I don't know what to do about it anymore. I haven't tried downgrading back to pre-dumaos to test if it works, then re-upgrading to see if it then fails because of the update.

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forums!

It seems very strange that this would only affect wifi and not the wired devices. This makes me wonder if it might be hardware related.

Can I ask how long you've had your R1 for? This affects the likelyhood of hardware failure.

Perhaps if the issue was fixed by downgrading to the original firmware, that would confirm that it's a software problem.

Basically i'd like to narrow down what's causing it.

You could also try ticking Disable QoS in DumaOS and see if that changes matters at all.

I've had the R1 router for well over a few years or so now, I believe. I don't really remember how long it's been. I got one of the early adopter editions. So yeah, quite a while.

I disabled QoS and will attempt to see if it is still doing it when I get a chance to. If that does not work and the issue persists, I will re-enable the QoS and try downgrading the software to pre-dumaos.

Edit: Clarification of time.

Okay. So after downgrading back to pre dumaos, the issue still persists. Had it disconnect, then eventually reconnected for it to disconnect again about 15 minutes later. I'm starting to think this might be a hardware failure, like you stated earlier. The odd thing is that the issue never really cropped up prior to upgrading to dumaos the first time and the following few months.

After a few days of testing after what you said, Fraser, the issue still persists, but it didn't happen from what I can tell as frequently. That could just be a placebo effect going on, but I did notice how it never occurred back to back within the same hour. It would still disconnect randomly, just a small frequency of it occurring, if this information is helpful at all.

So it still does occur randomly every hour or two, just the frequency of the double drops are less. Most the time if the wifi dropped once, it would occur a second time within roughly half an hour. The reason I notice the drops is because my smart TV will stop loading YouTube and say there is no internet connection. I've played games on my Xbox that are online while I listen to YouTube from the tv and it doesn't drop which is why I know it is just the wifi and not the entirety of my internet.

There have been days where I'll use the internet and it nothing will occur. Maybe because I paused the video and went to do something at the perfect time. I usually only have 4 hours at home between two jobs and sleeping, so that's why my testing is slow and my honest sample size is small and actually only limited to the times around 8pm-12am. Which I should've stayed earlier in one of my posts.

I've had it occur both with low usage and high usage. Oddly though, I feel like it drops more when there is low usage and less when more wifi enabled devices are going and being used at the same time.

• Administrators

Where do you have the router placed? Is it near any other wireless devices? Anything that uses a wireless signal e.g. headphones, phone etc could cause disruptions to the WiFi, even a microwave in close proximity can cause issues. Make sure there's no wireless devices within about 3 feet of the router.

Other than that, only other thing I would suggest is to unplug the router from the power for a full 24 hours as it can sometimes fix niggling issues. Otherwise it may be that you'd have the router so long that it's started to degrade.

The router is in my room and the TV is practically right beside it, I also have three devices hard wired in, which are connected to a monitor that are all underneath where the TV is. Only device I could say would be in between the router and tv would be the modem, but the router sits on top of it. Like I said earlier, I have the early adopters edition, so it could just be that it is old.

How long is the router designed to last until degradation begins? If you guys don't know, I mean, here's a good base lined idea. Early adopters edition to about July-August of this year.

• Administrators

I'd say it's probably the age then unfortunately. I couldn't be specific as we didn't make the hardware ourselves, I would say though that for users who purchased circa Dec 2014 when we launced that a couple of people have had degradation. Doesn't happen for everyone but I would say about 5 years or so is a good bet.

• 2 weeks later...

You and me both brother. This thing constantly disconnects wifi. On top of that I have a 300mb connection and this thing blocking me down to under 1mbps. I can barely even load a webpage right now with this junk. I had hope they would actually keep working on this thing but I think it is finally time to take her out back and put her down. I ain't touching another netduma product again that's for sure. I could wire a potato for better speeds.

20191224_235621.jpg

• Administrators
6 hours ago, DestUndead said:

You and me both brother. This thing constantly disconnects wifi. On top of that I have a 300mb connection and this thing blocking me down to under 1mbps. I can barely even load a webpage right now with this junk. I had hope they would actually keep working on this thing but I think it is finally time to take her out back and put her down. I ain't touching another netduma product again that's for sure. I could wire a potato for better speeds.

That definitely sounds like QoS has been misconfigured, have you gone through our optimal settings guide for QoS? http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos

If we can get that sorted first then we can see if the dropouts can be resolved but might just be that the local congestion is causing everything to grind to a halt if you're only getting that speed. I'd suggest you make a new topic regarding your issues and we can go from there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 5:48 PM, Dante Soulest said:

Gotcha. I guess I try and get another newer one. Don't really need the Nighthawk, cause it's really overkill for what I'm doing. So I'll just get another R1 Router. Thanks for the help guys!

Had the exact same issue with my R1, thats why I decided to upgrade to the Nighthawk XR300. Not sure if I made the right call, the latest firmware on my brand new XR300 seems to be a hot mess, so before making a decision to get it perhaps you should first go over at the Nighthawk support section of the forum and have a glance on the issues people face. 

• 1 month later...

Hey, so guys, I had a weird thought/realization. What if it isn't my router but my modem? It only has 8 channels and might be getting congested this crashing the internet for a bit. I bought a new modem and can test for sure on that Friday. If it keeps doing the same thing, I'll just get a new router too and eliminate any hardware problems. :)

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Dante Soulest said:

Hey, so guys, I had a weird thought/realization. What if it isn't my router but my modem? It only has 8 channels and might be getting congested this crashing the internet for a bit. I bought a new modem and can test for sure on that Friday. If it keeps doing the same thing, I'll just get a new router too and eliminate any hardware problems. :)

It's certainly possible yes, a degrading modem or even one not suitable for your connection can cause all kinds of issues. Do let us know how you get on!

So good news: The root issue was indeed the modem. I also found out it only had a 8 downstream and 4 upstream. The newer updated version of the same branded modem has 32 down and 8 up, so I haven't had an issue yet. However, to prevent any kind of hardware issues, I also went ahead and bought an XR300 and I'll be hooking that up later today. Thank you Fraser and Alex for trying to assist in this issue.