Buying router for COD

stenmars42

Hi Guys,

I´m hoping that someone could help me. I would like to by a router which supports the NETDUMAOS, because of the geofilter. Which one would you recommend? The R1 or the XR500? I read somewhere that the XR500 has some problems with the firmware etc.

The reason why I´m considering of buying a new router is because I´m playing a lot of COD, but the lag is sometimes insane. It is like a lottery, sometimes I´m killing everyone and sometimes I die instantly. I live in Slovakia and I don´t know to which servers I´m being connected to while I´m playing. I saw spanish, german, irish, english, dutch, russian players but hardly could find any slovakian or other players from other neighbouring countries. I have 100mbps download and cca 20-30mbps upload speed. When testing my ping on german or english servers, it shows around 50 ping. During the evening when I noticed its better I got around 38 ping. Lag compesantion or I don´t know what is ruining the game for me and I´m hoping that one of these two routers could help me find better lobbies servers where I wouldn´t have a disadvantage. I´m playing currently WW2. I´ve noticed also, that when on the other team there is a Russian guy with 2 bars, the whole team have much better KD than us.

What do you think, the geofilter would help me or it would be useless for me since I´m living in Slovakia and the servers are based in German, UK, Netherlands and Italy?

In the settings, the geographical region is UK, as I´ve made a profile where I set the region to UK. Back in the days there were no slovakian ps store so I had to make an UK account. Does that mean that I´m being put on the UK servers even if I live elsewhere or it doesn´t matter?

On the PS4 when I test the internet connection it says NAT TYPE Moderate, but in the game its OPEN. I´m paying extra fees for static IP address :)

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum! I'm going to seperate my answers into sections.

--

So I was just looking at a map of Call of Duty servers which we produced, and it doesn't look like there are any servers in Slovakia. Because of this, I imagine that it might be quite hard to narrow your games down to just match with people from Slovakia.

The best thing to do, if you do get a DumaOS router, would be to see which server gets the best ping from your location, and use Geo-Filter to force the game to use that one. Hopefully the majority of Slovakian players will all be connected to the lowest ping server. That said, the game doesn't always match you based on ping, it can also match you based on skill. That's really why the Geo-Filter exists.

(these are the servers for Modern Warfare but they are largely the same for all recent CoD games)

EEWhjAHXkAARR1E?format=jpg&name=large

Some games will use your PSN account location to decide servers for you, but most won't. For example, I used to play a bunch of games on a Japanese PSN account (don't ask) and I would always get matched with people in the UK despite this.

--

The R1 and the XR500 both have the same features in terms of DumaOS, the main areas that they differ are WiFi technology and processing power. The XR500 is a more powerful router, and the WiFi reception is much better. That said, the R1 is our in-house product and we consider it highly reliable. It's really up to you.

It's easy to get the impression that the XR500 is very buggy, based on the forums, however keep in mind that we have sold thousands and thousands of XR500s and most people never have a problem. It's only because we've sold so many that the problems appear more frequently. It was the number one rated router on Amazon last time I checked.

--

Regarding getting an open NAT type, one important feature that the XR500 has and the R1 lacks is DMZ. Using DMZ, you can choose one device to bypass all NAT restrictions. This can be useful for testing, allowing you to narrow down problems by taking the XR500 out of the equation. It can also be an easy, one click solution for getting an open NAT on your console, although due to the security risks I wouldn't recommend using it for your PC!

--

Sorry about the long reply, I hope i've answered your questions, feel free to ask more!

1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

Welcome to the forum! I'm going to seperate my answers into sections.

--

So I was just looking at a map of Call of Duty servers which we produced, and it doesn't look like there are any servers in Slovakia. Because of this, I imagine that it might be quite hard to narrow your games down to just match with people from Slovakia.

The best thing to do, if you do get a DumaOS router, would be to see which server gets the best ping from your location, and use Geo-Filter to force the game to use that one. Hopefully the majority of Slovakian players will all be connected to the lowest ping server. That said, the game doesn't always match you based on ping, it can also match you based on skill. That's really why the Geo-Filter exists.

(these are the servers for Modern Warfare but they are largely the same for all recent CoD games)

EEWhjAHXkAARR1E?format=jpg&name=large

Some games will use your PSN account location to decide servers for you, but most won't. For example, I used to play a bunch of games on a Japanese PSN account (don't ask) and I would always get matched with people in the UK despite this.

--

The R1 and the XR500 both have the same features in terms of DumaOS, the main areas that they differ are WiFi technology and processing power. The XR500 is a more powerful router, and the WiFi reception is much better. That said, the R1 is our in-house product and we consider it highly reliable. It's really up to you.

It's easy to get the impression that the XR500 is very buggy, based on the forums, however keep in mind that we have sold thousands and thousands of XR500s and most people never have a problem. It's only because we've sold so many that the problems appear more frequently. It was the number one rated router on Amazon last time I checked.

--

Regarding getting an open NAT type, one important feature that the XR500 has and the R1 lacks is DMZ. Using DMZ, you can choose one device to bypass all NAT restrictions. This can be useful for testing, allowing you to narrow down problems by taking the XR500 out of the equation. It can also be an easy, one click solution for getting an open NAT on your console, although due to the security risks I wouldn't recommend using it for your PC!

--

Sorry about the long reply, I hope i've answered your questions, feel free to ask more!

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the answer. I´m leaning more towards the R1 :)   I have two more questions. Is it possible that I get lag even if I connect to the nearest server, have a good ping, but some other players further from that specific server joins in and ruin the session? I mean the lag compensation in that case would ruin the game for me as it would help other gamers for example from russia with a higher ping help? I´m asking this because Ground War modes with more players are quite unplayable for me. I´m lagging behind everyone, but in 2v2 the game is completely fine, no lag. I don´t understand why.

I´m also thinking about getting a faster internet, 400mbps and 40mbps, but I´m not sure it would help at all, since the ping is the most important?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, stenmars42 said:

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the answer. I´m leaning more towards the R1 :)   I have two more questions. Is it possible that I get lag even if I connect to the nearest server, have a good ping, but some other players further from that specific server joins in and ruin the session? I mean the lag compensation in that case would ruin the game for me as it would help other gamers for example from russia with a higher ping help? I´m asking this because Ground War modes with more players are quite unplayable for me. I´m lagging behind everyone, but in 2v2 the game is completely fine, no lag. I don´t understand why.

I´m also thinking about getting a faster internet, 400mbps and 40mbps, but I´m not sure it would help at all, since the ping is the most important?

Thanks in advance!

You would be better served getting the XR500, especially if you are considering upgrading your broadband. The R1 is an excellent little router, but it is hardware limiting as it is a few years old and lacks 5Ghz wifi for example where as the XR500 has that. The XR500 is fantastic and will last you for a good few years atleast.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, stenmars42 said:

Hi Alex,

Thanks in advance!

I would agree with BD, especially if you are thinking of upgrading your speeds, you would then be able to use the full speeds & QoS, as well as benefit from the AC WiFi which the R1 doesn't have.

If you have a good ping then you should have an advantage, if there are laggy players connected to that same server you shouldn't lag but you may see them lagging but again you should have the advantage here. Gaming doesn't use much bandwidth at all, less than 1mbps in most cases so upgrading your speeds wouldn't help with lag necessarily. If you were to change ISP to get these new speeds their lines/routing may be better in which case your base ping may decrease but theres no way to tell until you do that. Having higher speeds also would mean local congestion is less of an issue so your ping may stay lower in times of heavy usage, especially when using QoS as well.

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I would agree with BD, especially if you are thinking of upgrading your speeds, you would then be able to use the full speeds & QoS, as well as benefit from the AC WiFi which the R1 doesn't have.

If you have a good ping then you should have an advantage, if there are laggy players connected to that same server you shouldn't lag but you may see them lagging but again you should have the advantage here. Gaming doesn't use much bandwidth at all, less than 1mbps in most cases so upgrading your speeds wouldn't help with lag necessarily. If you were to change ISP to get these new speeds their lines/routing may be better in which case your base ping may decrease but theres no way to tell until you do that. Having higher speeds also would mean local congestion is less of an issue so your ping may stay lower in times of heavy usage, especially when using QoS as well.

Thank you for the info. It would be the same ISP, but as you wrote, I´m getting lag mainly when there is heavy usage for example in the late afternoon, early evening or weekends. I was thinking the same, that during these periods having a higher speed internet would help me keeping my ping as low as possible. My brother has slower internet, but better ping, so I guess its my ISP.

If the distance of the servers would be a problem then I would have a laggy game all the time, right? I guess its either that sometimes I´m put on a server even further or there is heavy usage or both. Maybe getting an xr500 with the geofilter would help me getting the best server connections + faster net would help me when there is heavy usage.

In APEX when you can choose servers, it says that I have 23 ping when connected to the servers in Frankfurt. Apex always ran better than COD.

3 hours ago, stenmars42 said:

Thank you for the info. It would be the same ISP, but as you wrote, I´m getting lag mainly when there is heavy usage for example in the late afternoon, early evening or weekends. I was thinking the same, that during these periods having a higher speed internet would help me keeping my ping as low as possible. My brother has slower internet, but better ping, so I guess its my ISP.

If the distance of the servers would be a problem then I would have a laggy game all the time, right? I guess its either that sometimes I´m put on a server even further or there is heavy usage or both. Maybe getting an xr500 with the geofilter would help me getting the best server connections + faster net would help me when there is heavy usage.

In APEX when you can choose servers, it says that I have 23 ping when connected to the servers in Frankfurt. Apex always ran better than COD.

We can't create servers that don't exist, but we can help you to connect to only the best servers, and we can help you to reduce congestion on your local network to stop packet loss.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 12:43 PM, Netduma Alex said:

We can't create servers that don't exist, but we can help you to connect to only the best servers, and we can help you to reduce congestion on your local network to stop packet loss.

Alex as about your last comment

i am from Cyprus.. as you can see at the dedi servers there is none near ...

what geofilter settings do you recommend in order to get the best possible server and ping ????

2 hours ago, gkontos10 said:

Alex as about your last comment

i am from Cyprus.. as you can see at the dedi servers there is none near ...

what geofilter settings do you recommend in order to get the best possible server and ping ????

Unfortunately since you're in Cyprus, getting an amazing ping might be impossible. I'd recommend setting a high ping assist value, then between every game turning it down by 10 or so. Get it as low as you can while still being able to get a game.