In game ping

Alix

In MW the pings were not showing correctly, the ping numbers were erratic like 995 ms or something like that, I would then just refresh the page, the geo filter would then go back to showing correct pings. 

I am using the R1. It's not actually a problem, I can easily tell that the ping number is displayed incorrectly. Refreshing does solve the problem, and it only happens in MW, not in BO4 or other COD's/ BF series. 

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, dpk_ydv said:

I am using the R1. It's not actually a problem, I can easily tell that the ping number is displayed incorrectly. Refreshing does solve the problem, and it only happens in MW, not in BO4 or other COD's/ BF series. 

To me that sounds like a browser issue. It's graphics related whatever it is - there's no way the router thinks that data is correct. That's why refreshing solves it.

This can be caused by leaving DumaOS in the background on a separate tab, then switching back to that tab after a while. (Or at least, that's how it used to be caused on the old software. Are you on DumaOS?)

Yes that's correct, I am using Duma OS. I actually did not switch tabs or leave it running in the background. I just keep the geo filter tab open and monitor it while playing. And I am using chrome as recommended. 

The problem is ONLY while running MW. Yesterday during the beta, the Geo filter was showing me connected to Middle east server, and halfway through the game, it indicated I was connected to the Singapore server. It's not uncommon for geo filter to show me connected to 2 dedis at once as well. 

I am sorry if u guys feel I've hijacked the topic, it was unintentional. 

1548193517_twoservers.thumb.PNG.11488586e4a148b612311f41753a2bcc.PNG

As You can see I a was actually connected to the Middle east server, but the Geo filter also popped out the EU server (Incorrectly mapped in US). This happened throughout the game. I have a question regarding the ping. Is it possible to track the IP address of the server in allow/ deny list so that I can manually ping it?

• Administrators

The ping shows in the domain name so you could ping it that way. Is the Geo-Filter set to spectating because if it's on filtering that should have been blocked or do you have strict mode disabled? The one in the UK is fine though as its an authentication server.

I see. But the problem was the Geo filter showing 2 dedicated servers on the map, in that case I suppose I should check the ping to confirm what server I actually am connected to, right? things are better in second week of beta, but in the first week, I would connect to a Japanese server and Geo filter would ping Singapore server. Fortunately in second week that problem does not exist. 

Also I have an off topic question here. My ISP had horrible routeing, so I am using ExpressVPN. But the hit registration seems to suffer, more so while using TCP protocol. I have a separate router just for VPN processing and Duma as secondary connected to PS4. Could you shed some light as to whether VPN does affect the network performance in online FPS games, or it's just me trying to excuse myself for being trash in the game. 

VPN could certainly slow things down, but usually that's because the routing is less efficient. If your ISPs routing is especially bad I guess it could be faster using a VPN. It might be hard to get an open NAT using a VPN though.

Anyway if there's two dedicated servers shown, one of them may be for authentication. If they're different sizes, the bigger one is the primary server you're connected to.

Thanks Alex, that clarifies a lot. 

But ExpressVPN is top notch, and surprisingly I din't see any increase in ping times. But does the data encryption cause any issues in on line multiplayer games, like hit registration in your experience? 

Just did a testing using ping plotter. Turns out the jitter is worse than the stock ISP connection. Its particularly bad in peak hours, so that should answer my question, but I still think the VPN tunneling and encryption might have a part to play

• Administrators

The issue with a VPN is you're adding at least another if not more hops to your route so there are more chances for issues. If you're able to I would suggest trying to select the closest servers to you while still near the location you want, they also usually have 1-3 servers for that location so worth trying them all and seeing if those issues subside at all. I don't think you'll get rid of this fully though, I would never suggest using a VPN for gaming unless absolutely necessary.