Nordvpn and Netgear XR500

Hitman1020

I have a question about nordvpn and my netgear xr500. So I’m currently living overseas and unfortunately the hybrid VPN option in the Dumas interface doesn’t support nordvpn. It has two vpns it shows in the drop down menu (hidemyass and purevpn). How do I get the nordvpn on my router so It can show the my home network is basically states side. We use Xbox ones in this house and almost all our games especially COD and trying to get into an online multiplayer match can take mins to hours to find enough people to play. The servers over here in Malaysia are garbage. I currently use nordvpn on all my devices but can not install it on Xbox so hence the router. The router has current firmware and I’m basically a novice. I really need an easy step by step how to in order to get nordvpn on my xr500 protect my whole network. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! You're in the right place. First of all, I'd recommend checking out our official guide for Hybrid VPN here: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000087492--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-hybrid-vpn

In short, those two preset options (hidemyass and purevpn) aren't the only ones we support. You can actually use any VPN through DumaOS - all it requires is a 'config file'.

You should be able to grab a config file from NordVPN, since that is part of the service you're paying for. I believe you get them here: https://nordvpn.com/ovpn/, though I haven't used one before so I could be wrong.

Once you have a file, copy it into the Advanced Section on Hybrid VPN. There's an area there for config files. Enter your username and password on the same page, and you should be up and running :)

So I was able to setup the router using certain config files from NordVPNs site. Unfortunately I need an obfuscated config file from one of the US servers which they don’t seem to provide like all the other types. The biggest reason for this is because Xbox doesn’t allow vpns to run on their platforms so to get around it I need to completely mask my location with my xr500. From what I’ve researched this is the only way while we are overseas for my kid to play his xbox and actually be able to join multiplayer games and not sit in a lobby that may never populate with other gamers. I’m about to give up on NordVPN, the only reason why I like it is because it’s one of the few that will let me run Hulu. I’m considering purevpn as Dumas is already setup on it and hopefully it will be much easier and I can get the results I’m looking for.

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, Hitman1020 said:

So I was able to setup the router using certain config files from NordVPNs site. Unfortunately I need an obfuscated config file from one of the US servers which they don’t seem to provide like all the other types. The biggest reason for this is because Xbox doesn’t allow vpns to run on their platforms so to get around it I need to completely mask my location with my xr500. From what I’ve researched this is the only way while we are overseas for my kid to play his xbox and actually be able to join multiplayer games and not sit in a lobby that may never populate with other gamers. I’m about to give up on NordVPN, the only reason why I like it is because it’s one of the few that will let me run Hulu. I’m considering purevpn as Dumas is already setup on it and hopefully it will be much easier and I can get the results I’m looking for.

Interesting... Thank you for letting me know. I hope it goes better with PureVPN - I'm glad at least that you were able to get NordVPN working with a config file, even if it's not quite what you were looking for. Please keep us updated and we'll help you with PureVPN as best we can :)

Hello I just saw your topic about NordVPN, I'm French I took NordVPN and I had trouble getting NordVPN running with the XR500 and my PS4.
I will give you some tips that allowed me to run NordVPN with my PS4.

XR500> HybridVPN> VPN Setup> Forward> Enter username and password> paste the log file and log in (For the log file on Windows I open it with the notepad copy and paste in the VPN.

Here is the link to download all the log files of all the servers: https://nordvpn.com/en/ovpn/

The or is complicating my PS4 recognized as a console (playstation) When I wanted to add my PS4 in> VPN Traffic> add a device it was gray I could not do anything, so I think my PS4 do not enjoy from the VPN and I could not do port forwarding or whatever.

The solution I found> XR500> Device Manager> Put the PS4 into a computer> Save ... Go to VPN traffic I add my PS4 and the miracle is no longer gray I can take advantage of the VPN and I have even been able to add my port redirects for my games.

I think you have a different problem, but if you do not know how I like it might be able to help you with your Xbox

The reason that the console was displayed as grey was that we automatically put ALL traffic for consoles through the VPN when they are added. This means that there is no need to manually add any ports.

It seems we need to make this more clear in the interface as the current method makes it look like the console cannot be filtered.

• 1 year later...

hi im using nord vpn on my xr500 ive managed to set vpn up but when i add my pc to it and test my dnsleadtest it does change the location  then when i refresh my router page the pc vpn has been cleared off doesnt seem to save my device, im using dumaos  XR500 V2.3.2.114-DumaOS3.0.203

any help would be great thank you 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Ryanb87 said:

hi im using nord vpn on my xr500 ive managed to set vpn up but when i add my pc to it and test my dnsleadtest it does change the location  then when i refresh my router page the pc vpn has been cleared off doesnt seem to save my device, im using dumaos  XR500 V2.3.2.114-DumaOS3.0.203

any help would be great thank you 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

How did you add the device to Hybrid VPN exactly?