Port 5000 not working on WIFI - XR500 Running V2.3.2.40

Hello All,

I have been having an issue for the past month or two (since upgrading) with accessing my NAS. The browser was exceptionally slow (tried on both Windows and Mac) and I tried numerous browsers also. The Zyxel NAS is around 5 years old and I assumed it was having significant issues. I could ping it and could see it on the XR500 but just couldn't connect to the NAS via the web browser.I tried to upgrading the NAS but the issues persisted and I decided it was dying so I would get a new one (Reluctantly).

Anyway the new Synology NAS (DS218J) arrived Today along with a new HDD and I thought, great lets get this one set up..... but, I am having exactly the same issues trying to connect to it (port 5000). Again either it would load very very slowly or would crash webpages (Again both Windows and Macs and various browsers).

I have ALWAYS accessed my NAS drive via WIFI up until this newer release. Anyway, my mate recommended that I try over a network cable and sod me it blooming works. BOTH NAS's work over the ethernet cable and on port 5000, but they will NOT work over WIFI.

WTF is going on and how can this be fixed? My TV also access the NAS via WIFI and also can't see the NAS. Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Odin

I have been doing more testing and I can sometimes get on the management pages via the WIFI but it is exceptionally slow and will often no longer work after a couple of clicks saying Connection failed and to check network settings. As soon as I am back on a wired network, it zips along as usual and faultlessly. I have tested WIFI on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, and I get the same issue on both.

I have no other issues at all on the router with anything else.

The router has been rebooted several times and the exact same issue persists.

Well I got no further on my testing. I am going to switch back to my WRT32X tonight and see if this fixes the issue. This will show categorically that there is an issue with the XR500 firmware at the mo.

I am pretty peed off as looks like I bought another NAS for nothing!

I have heard of some people having similar issues with LAN devices, for example somebody was having trouble connecting locally to his Philips Hue Hub, and in the end what fixed it was connecting to the XR500's Guest WiFi Network. That was a weird one because it seems like it's the wrong way round, the guest network should be more restrictive than the normal network but there it is.

8 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

I have heard of some people having similar issues with LAN devices, for example somebody was having trouble connecting locally to his Philips Hue Hub, and in the end what fixed it was connecting to the XR500's Guest WiFi Network. That was a weird one because it seems like it's the wrong way round, the guest network should be more restrictive than the normal network but there it is.

Hi Alex. Thanks for the reply I will test that tonight. My mate is also having issues with his NVR cams on his XR500.

any ideas on the issue and the actual fix as this wasn’t a problem before. I have had this router for about 8 months and it used to work fine.

Also is there a way to roll back a version to continue being able to use my device properly?

Some of the responses i see coming from support on this forum is nuts you guys don't seem too concerned about your customers new or old 

At least advise him to be sure to check out the previous Security advisories for the XR500 on the netgear website for previous firmwares before downgrading as to know the risks of doing so

Yeah I hadn't thought of the security risks i'll be honest. I don't tend to pay much attention to them in my own home environment. In a business environment i'd be much more careful but for a home user I tend to think the risk is pretty minimal but I suppose yes it's better to make the customer aware of the risks.

Part of the reason my responses are occasionally "nuts" might be because i'm still relatively new to this job, and i'm just giving my honest advice. If I ever give some totally bum advice i'm sure one of the mods or the other support staff will let me know.

I downgraded and issue still there. Did more research and I have found the issue and it has been know for a YEAR!!!! VLAN which is required by my ISP.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/WIFI-devices-cannot-reach-my-NAS/td-p/1593399

How can we get this sorted as that is insane? It has cost me buying a 2nd NAS for no damn good reason other than a issue caused by the router 😞

And I am now upgrading back to 2.3.2.40 due to the security risks.

It defo did work at some point, so either someone has undone the fix in a firmware update or I have lost the plot. But I can confirm I have the same issue and no issue as per the above thread. With VLAN off hello NAS, but VLAN on and bye bye NAS drives, meaning I am unable to watch moves etc... on my Smart TV's from the NAS, or able to access them over WIFI to do anything.

1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

Yeah I hadn't thought of the security risks i'll be honest. I don't tend to pay much attention to them in my own home environment. In a business environment i'd be much more careful but for a home user I tend to think the risk is pretty minimal but I suppose yes it's better to make the customer aware of the risks.

Part of the reason my responses are occasionally "nuts" might be because i'm still relatively new to this job, and i'm just giving my honest advice. If I ever give some totally bum advice i'm sure one of the mods or the other support staff will let me know.

Regardless of wether your new to this job or not is irrelevant I see a lot of generic answers all the time by netduma staff like just reboot or just downgrade etc Im not directing it at you alone the forums full of it all it does is masks the problems we are all currently having with the OS/Routers and its getting worse by the day

People trust you guys with advice you give them for a product they bought to be the backbone of their network and People depend on yours and your colleagues support and knowledge to use their product correctly and safely, and just because you said said you don’t really think about the security risks on your own home network don’t mean you shouldn’t care about ours by not giving us the relevant information even if it is just a downgrade

Security risks on a home network or on a business network are as important as one another

Would you like your financial data or families identity stolen or worse

I wouldn’t and I would wish it on anyone else either

At the end of the day we are all feeling the pressure right now be it in your jobs at netduma or your customers we all need to find some common ground and work this out

GREAT! Now the upgrade back to 2.3.2.40 did not go well. Now getting errors and I have lost all my custom device names of the 40 odd devices I had spent time maintaining over the past several months!

I am now getting these issues and still can access my NAS'!

I can no longer add my xbox to Geofilter, etc....

This is turning into a nightmare!

I have even factory reset and then applied my settings back up but still no success. Now what?

Screenshot 2019-07-23 at 18.58.35.png

Screenshot 2019-07-23 at 18.58.56.png

Screenshot_2019-07-23_at_18_59_09.png

• Administrators

So you did confirm you could access using WiFi when not using VLAN? If so when back on VLAN could you toggle IGMP Proxying in WAN settings please and see if that helps at all. Otherwise we'll let the team know that others are having issues with VLAN.

That error usually happens when a renamed device comes back as a different MAC/IP address and can't be identified. A factory reset should definitely fix that. If not find the device in the Device Manager and rename it to what it was before.

I have been having this exact same issue with my NAS! I assumed it was me being stupid as I couldn't narrow it down to anything so just brushed it aside. I was just browsing the forum and came across this post and gave disabling VLAN a try and low and behold it works! I need VLAN for my broadband to work, so its either internet or NAS at the minute. I tried a factory reset too and it works up until the point I turn on VLAN. I've got mine set by VLAN tag group with a VLAN ID of 101 and a priority of 0. I cannot access any devices on my LAN when connected via WiFi but can connect when connected via LAN. 

Its a very strange issue but by looking into it more and googling the issue, it seems a fairly common Netgear issue by the looks of things! It looks like Netgear did an update on some routers a while ago that fixed this, but not for this one by the looks of things. 

I've also tried IGMP proxying and even tried setting the Support BT option and neither of those seem to make a difference. What I did find that is interesting is I can ping the device and it works fine. However, when I try to access the web interface or connect to in any other way than a ping, it doesn't work. I have tried my NAS and also my CCTV cameras. Ive tried several device all on different ports (NAS, CCTV, Managed Switch, Home plugs) and none of them will show me the web interface.

Also, another thing I have found is if I connect via VPN from outside, then I can connect to LAN devices, it purely seems to be over the WiFi in the house that's an issue. 

Please tell me someone has a work around for this? I've looked into this now and I realise its not something I have done, but a problem with the router. 

Thanks!

Josh

So after a little more research, it seems this issue could be due to the router VLAN tagging everything and not just the WAN port (seems like a feature a lot want but doesn't exist?). My knowledge on this subject is very limited, but I cannot see why this has not been a bigger issue for people? I think most ISP's in the UK use VLAN tagging for their traffic. So it seems when you tag all internal traffic, it will cause issues like we're having. However, there is no way to tag just the WAN traffic. 

Does anyone have any ideas because now this is driving me insane.  

On 7/23/2019 at 7:33 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

So you did confirm you could access using WiFi when not using VLAN? If so when back on VLAN could you toggle IGMP Proxying in WAN settings please and see if that helps at all. Otherwise we'll let the team know that others are having issues with VLAN.

That error usually happens when a renamed device comes back as a different MAC/IP address and can't be identified. A factory reset should definitely fix that. If not find the device in the Device Manager and rename it to what it was before.

I can confirm that IGMP makes no difference and also that it only works with VLAN off.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SORT THIS. I now have £600 of NAS's sat here that I can't access via 90% of my stuff as they are wireless. This is crazy!

6 hours ago, JoshGre said:

So after a little more research, it seems this issue could be due to the router VLAN tagging everything and not just the WAN port (seems like a feature a lot want but doesn't exist?). My knowledge on this subject is very limited, but I cannot see why this has not been a bigger issue for people? I think most ISP's in the UK use VLAN tagging for their traffic. So it seems when you tag all internal traffic, it will cause issues like we're having. However, there is no way to tag just the WAN traffic. 

Does anyone have any ideas because now this is driving me insane.  

Thank god someone else is having the same issue! It is driving me INSANE!

1 minute ago, Netduma Alex said:

Did you try connecting through the guest network? I know I suggested it earlier I just didn't get feedback on if it was tried.

Yes and that was also a no go.

I am pretty fed up of reseting my router now and naming my 50 odd devices each time. I am so close to going back to my WRT32X it is unreal.

Alex, i can’t understand why port forwarding would make a difference. This is definitely a bud in the router and my understand is tagging all traffic, internal and external that’s the issue and no way to tag just WAN traffic with VLAN