Netgear XR700 with DumaOS Lifecycle Policy

Hello Netduma,

The Netgear XR700 was announced in the end of august 2018 and I'm trying to find informations regarding the Netgear XR700 with DumaOS Lifecycle Policy. I would like to know how many years or when the "Support End Date" until they stop releasing a firmware update on a Netgear XR700 with DumaOS.

Thank you,

It's a question for NETGEAR really, but I know there's new firmware currently in beta testing. We don't really have a plan for how long we'll support it for, but we have no immediate plans to drop support. From our end, we'll send the latest DumaOS updates to NETGEAR, and then it's down to them to actually publish the firmware updates. We haven't dropped support for a product yet.

If it's anything like NGs R7000 series, that router model is going on 6 years old. NG is still pushing FW updates for it. However anything is possible when it comes to EOL and NG. Again, router Mfrs don't tent to mention when they will be making EOL for there products. It just happens.  

1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

It's a question for NETGEAR really, but I know there's new firmware currently in beta testing. We don't really have a plan for how long we'll support it for, but we have no immediate plans to drop support. From our end, we'll send the latest DumaOS updates to NETGEAR, and then it's down to them to actually publish the firmware updates. We haven't dropped support for a product yet.

Thanks Alex but I would prefer to get an official answer published for a "Netgear XR700 Support End Date" coming from Netgear or Netduma.

On the software side, It would be nice if the DumaOS become like a Windows OS, then Netduma would be able to send regularly a DumaOS upgrade directly to the users. On the hardware side, Netgear could just concentrated on the drivers and firmwares for their hardwares.

1 hour ago, e38BimmerFN said:

If it's anything like NGs R7000 series, that router model is going on 6 years old. NG is still pushing FW updates for it. However anything is possible when it comes to EOL and NG. Again, router Mfrs don't tent to mention when they will be making EOL for there products. It just happens.  

Yeah I know but I was hoping to see a "End of Life" for the hardware and a "Support End Date" for the Operating System. At least when you purchase a PC or a mobile device with a specific OS, you always know there's an expiration dates for each of their supports.

For a user, I think it's important to know when the support will end for the DumaOS like most of Operating System (Windows, MacOS, iOS, or Android) have a "Support End Date" for each version of their OS. 

The only Mfr I know that give some EOL info is MS, maybe Apple, on there OSs. Other then those, most MFrs don't give any EOL info. User just have to do diligence and research on when devices go EOL. Usually can tell my historical FW dates and finding information out on line searches. Other then that, follow what you do with cars, use them until parts are no longer available or become non working or become money pits. 😜

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I think you'd be very lucky for any manufacturer to give you an end of life date, it's just not really done. In our eyes it's still very new so we're excited to see the software to progress on the router!

We still don't have any reply from Netgear for this topic but we already got 2 answers from Netduma Tech Support & Customer Support.

Maybe Luke Barlow (Netduma CEO) or Lain Fraiser (Netduma CTO) could answer to my question:

I would like to know how many years/ when the "Support End Date"/ version x.x.x.x until they stop releasing a DumaOS update on a Netgear XR700?

Thank you,

I actually asked Luke for input on this question, and he said pretty much what I said, we don't have an answer. All I can tell you is that we have no immediate plans to end support, it's going to be supported for the foreseeable. As I said, we haven't dropped support for a product yet, and we'll support each product for as long as we can. The only reason I could see for dropping a product would be if it wasn't powerful enough to handle the latest updates, and the XR700 is the most powerful product in our lineup.