Slow Speeds - Continued

I was advised by Zennon to start a new post to discuss an individual networking issue.  He kindly pointed me to the link for "Why Is My Speed Lower."

I read the article, followed the instructions, and I am still getting slower upload speeds that what is being provided by my ISP.  Please see my initial comment below.  Please let me know if you have any insight on why I would start buffering when streaming TV when it's the only user of the bandwith.  As I stated below, My internet connection has been rock solid and I have never seen a buffer the entire time I have been using FIOs until the Netduma was introduced to the equation.  I do have some more info that may help you trouble shoot.  I also made a comment on the Technobabble Forum which could contain relevant info

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/2781-how-to-replace-my-isp-combo-router-with-my-own/

Greetings all.  I can add to this conversation, but I also have a question to pose.  Last year I used the very link which was posted by Fraser above to use my Ethernet router (Netgear 6300) instead of VZWs MoCa Modem/Router.  It works just as explained.  Here is my question: I had hoped when VZW broke the DCHP lease it would allow the Netduma to work directly with the ONT.  However when I attempted this type of connection I end up with a limited connection.  I am receiving "DNS Lookup Failed No Internet" as the error on the Chrome browser when attempting to load a web page.  

I can use the Netgear Router connected from the VZW ONT to WAN port on Netgear and then from Netduma PoE to Netgear Port 1, but I don't believe this is the ideal set up. If I am incorrect please stop me now.  If I understood the posts above I am to place the Netgear router in either Bridge mode or on to the DMZ.  Is that correct?  Adding to these questions:  (1) How do you follow up Bridge Mode with the correct PPPoE settings  (2) if I use the Netgear just as a router and have the Netduma router plugged into port 1, would it be a good idea to turn off all of the Netgear's QoS settings and rely on the Netduma to manage all bandwidth prioritization? (3) Given the Netgear stays as a router would it be better to use it's QoS to give the Netduma Highest priority?

I know, my questions are poorly formed and my knowledge of networking is dismal.  I'm self taught and not too bright. It's a bad combo, but I'm tenacious.

All the best

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Slow speeds Question below

New Duma user here. I have been running some speed tests and am seeing a restricted upload speed since implementing the duma.  The reason I was even checking the speeds was my streaming tv started buffering in the middle of the program.  This has never happened before the Duma.  I followed the instruction seen in the forums ie: Share Excess, reset device prioritization before the speed test, preemptive congestion, had the upload and download caps set to 100%...  I should be receiving 50 up/ 50 down from the ISP Verizon Fios (Fiber).  I was running speed test a few days ago before introducing the Duma and was receiving higher than advertised bandwidth, in the vicinity of 58 down / 55 up, during the middle of the day.  Tonight when the TV started buffering there was nothing else going on with the internet.  I had device prioritization for the direct tv set at 15%...seemingly should have been fine to stream a show without buffering. I ran several speed tests.  Before I reset the device prioritization I was only receiving half of my upload speed.  After resetting everything to equal I was seeing the mid 40's for upload.

Any suggestions or comments on why I would start to buffer with nothing else happening on the internet/router?  

In order to end on a good note:  I was experimenting with congestion control today.  The Mrs. was streaming tv downstairs, I was streaming on a tv upstairs, and played 3 excellent games of Titanfall XB1 with no noticeable lag issues. (70/70 with the cap slider) I was quite pleased. Before the duma, when just one TV was streaming a show I had serious lag issues even with the netgear router QoS on highest priority for the XB1.

That's a lot I know.  I would like to get the most out of my system.

• Administrators

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Anti-flood will reduce the speeds by the percetage you set and the value you put in. So if you put in 50 as your upload, then set anti-flood up to 10% you'd get 5mbits.  Then the device prio will take how much you've allocated from anti-flood and distbute it to the devices as you've specfied. So if you set your TV to 50%, it would get 2.5mbits. Does that make sense?

So I'd suggest setting anti-flood to 100% for down and up. Then reset distribution. Does that get you full speeds? If so Fraser can help you get the settings right from there. 

Hi Iain, thanks for the reply. Yes I've done what you've suggested. I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that I've replaced the isp modem router with my own router and then added the R1. Essentially I have 2 routers in series. I had hoped to just have the R1 connected to the ISP's ONT since I had already gone through the steps with the ISP to use my netgear router instead of their's. It's weird that the upload speed is suffering since the R1 was added, but my real concern was buffering a streaming tv show, which had never happened before introducing the R1. I suppose it could be some temporary issue with the service from the ISP, but speed tests with the R1 out of the equation didn't show any reduced service.

There is a lot of text there so forgive me if i have missed your speeds I am guessing it could be quite a wide band fibre line , please try the reactive algorithm in the congestion control also try turning off deep packet processing if you have not already.

Set the CC sliders to 100% while you test for speeds.

Hi Zennon. Yes I know there's a lot of info, I 'm an engineer, so I try to include all the deets.  Connection is 50/50 from the ISP.  I'm getting the 50 down, but the upload since the R1 was introduced is averaging around 30. I did everything in the "Why Is My Speed Lower" Article you suggested, and tried the different algorithms just to see, no change. Before you ask; of course I turned it off and on again. :)

• Administrators

Hi Zennon. Yes I know there's a lot of info, I 'm an engineer, so I try to include all the deets.  Connection is 50/50 from the ISP.  I'm getting the 50 down, but the upload since the R1 was introduced is averaging around 30. I did everything in the "Why Is My Speed Lower" Article you suggested, and tried the different algorithms just to see, no change. Before you ask; of course I turned it off and on again. :)

I imagine you're using the ethernet cable we provided for ISP hub > R1 as well as doing a wired speed test?

• Administrators

Yes sir, cat 6 all the way around. I'm not going to get spun out about this. I'm going to chalk it up to solar flares. If the buffering issue persists, I'll let you guys know

Great! Haha okay do let us know when it occurs again :)

Archived