How to replace My ISP combo router with my own

Dioni Rod.

It depends who your isp is , most need autentication (user name and password) entered into a router so you would need these details entered in to the new one.

Also you will need to buy the right type , fibre , cable , adsl which ever you are on.

• Administrators

Hey Dioni, I'm not too familiar with the US ISPs, my assumption would be they don't like it, however I did a bit of research, I know this article is a bit old and about a different router but it may apply to your situation so here it is http://www.marco.org/2011/01/15/how-to-use-your-own-router-with-fios

yes,

enabling bridge mode will basically turn your modem/router combo into a passthrough modem

you will then need to configure PPPoE in the DUMA and use it as your primary router...

Or you could run your duma through your ISP router and put it into the DMZ and then you'd be able to do whatever you want to...so 2 ways to skin a cat.

Greetings all.  I can add to this conversation, but I also have a question to pose.  Last year I used the very link which was posted by Fraser above to use my Ethernet router (Netgear 6300) instead of VZWs MoCa Modem/Router.  It works just as explained.  Here is my question: I had hoped when VZW broke the DCHP lease it would allow the Netduma to work directly with the ONT.  However when I attempted this type of connection I end up with a limited connection.  I am receiving "DNS Lookup Failed No Internet" as the error on the Chrome browser when attempting to load a web page.  

I can use the Netgear Router connected from the VZW ONT to WAN port on Netgear and then from Netduma PoE to Netgear Port 1, but I don't believe this is the ideal set up. If I am incorrect please stop me now.  If I understood the posts above I am to place the Netgear router in either Bridge mode or on to the DMZ.  Is that correct?  Adding to these questions:  (1) How do you follow up Bridge Mode with the correct PPPoE settings,  (2) if I use the Netgear just as a router and have the Netduma router plugged into port 1, would it be a good idea to turn off all of the Netgear's QoS settings and rely on the Netduma to manage all bandwidth prioritization? (3) Given the Netgear stays as a router would it be better to use it's QoS to give the Netduma Highest priority?

I know, my questions are poorly formed and my knowledge of networking is dismal.  I'm self taught and not too bright. It's a bad combo, but I'm tenacious.

All the best

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping someone can provide me with some info on how to go about this..any info will be appreciated thanks. Off to bed..will check in the morning; )

You left some info out, like what do you want to replace it with?

Do you want a modem/router combo like your ISP rented you or do you want a stand alone modem?

Either way the Motorola sb6121 is compatible with Verizon fios so I would assume that the other Motorola surfboard with built in router would work too.

Looking at Motorola sb6141 or sb6121..

I used to buy those...then i looked at the internals.  not worth the trouble, I bought a zoom modem, it actually gives you some access to functionality and logs.

Archived