Speed Decrease on R1

• Administrators

The most interesting thing to me is that the speed test in the setup wizard reported your full speeds. That test is a router to speed test result, not device to speed test result so that to me indicates that there may be something affecting the speed your devices are getting not the router itself. Do you have any other devices you haven't tested yet at all that you could try with? I realise with your speeds it doesn't make too much difference but do you have any other ethernet cables you could use for the connected devices? 

Don't have any other devices put have plenty of spare ethernet cable.

So did a series of tests with some other ethernet cable and was running normal rate when plugged into the TP-Link, however when plugged into the R1 and XR500, was still getting the same speeds, also tried plugging the ethernet cable into the ethernet ports 2-5 on the R1 and ethernet ports 1-4 to rule out any port issues but was getting the same speeds.

One thing I have notice is that running a detailed network statistics on the Xbox One, it's showing as download speed 54Mbps and 16Mbps, close to what I'd get on the XR500 in the setup wizard and on the PS4, 51.8Mbps

Even the R1 on latest DumaOS firmware and 1.03.6j is doing the same thing, running a detailed network statistics on the Xbox One, it's showing as download speed 54Mbps and 17Mbps, on the PS4 it's  showing download speeds of 52.1Mbps, upload 6.1Mbps

Just testing the speeds through an Inspiron 15 Laptop running Windows 10, using Chrome and Firefox, the ethernet port in task manager won't get past 35Mpbs when testing the R1 or XR500, but others like the TP-Link, HH6, not a problem at all, will shows that the download speed will max out at 56/57Mbps, and this is only happening to the download speed, the upload speed isn't effected at all

18 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

When you're getting those speeds is this with QoS (enabled but off) or on? If on, is high priority traffic updating rapidly? Seems weird that those devices are fine.

On both the R1 and XR500 getting the 53/544 Mbps download speed and 17 Mbps upload speed on the Xbox when Disable QoS ticked, When High Priority Traffic Detected is selected and when Never is selected,, on the PS4 getting various speeds (to what I was getting on latest R1 original firmware), when its selected to Always getting what ever the sliders are set to or just under

7 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Perhaps the DumaOS Classified Games filter is giving priority to the consoles?

Unchecked the box and still get at least 53Mbps down and 17Mbps upload.

• Administrators

Really struggling for an answer on this one as it doesn't make much sense at all. The only thing I can think of is that your devices that are slow are not compatible with the routers but that doesn't fit either. Is there ANYTHING else using the internet when you're running these tests at all?

First of all would like to thank the Netduma Staff for all their help to get to the bottom of the issue, seems it wasn't a faulty modem or cable but a faulty driver issue within windows or Windows 10 itself that caused the issue.

As the opening post went "After purchasing the Vigor 130, right from the off speed decreased from 53d/18u to 38d/18u but the ping remained the same (23ms)"

Now the initial thoughts where with being on BT that I'd been banded as I had a new modem and that impacted my line, over several days there where a few disconnection over a 20 minute period, I could have been as my ping increased and it was a familiar issue that I've had before but it seems it could have been fixed after 2 weeks when my ping returned back to normal.

But it seems that when plugging the Vigor 130 in, it may have corrupted something within Windows when it was speaking with the R1 and then XR500 when I plugged in the HG612, and why my speeds never got past 35 Mbps download for the R1 and 42\43 Mbps on the XR500 when I tested the HG612 modem.

Most confusing part was when the setup wizard on the XR500 and later the internal speed test on the Xbox One come back with what I should be getting speed wise, to what was the laptop was getting, last night, decided to reset the laptop to back to factory settings, and now I can confirm that my speeds on the laptop are back showing as 55 Mbps download and 17 Mbps

Just to finally add I'm in no rush to replace the Vigor 130 anytime soon and also if your facing speed issues, test the speed on the Xbox One if you have one, it's a good troubleshooting step and one I never thought of it until Tuesday but it can help eliminate the issue.

Again thanks for all the help.

• Administrators

That's fantastic to hear! Thanks so much for coming back with the solution, well done for finding the cause! We'll keep this in mind for anyone having future issues like this. As your issue has been solved I'll close this topic. Feel free to open another if needed!