Will a switch with QOS interfere with the R1 Qos

green1234

I use a DGS-105 switch to feed my PC (i play games on it)/voip and printer, it's connected by 20ft Cat6 cable to the Netduma R1, but the switch also has its own QOS built-in.

' The switch features QoS, which organizes and prioritizes time-sensitive and important data for efficient delivery, allowing for smooth streaming media, VoIP calling, and online gaming.'

https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dgs-105-5-port-gigabit-ethernet-switch

Is this going to play havoc with the NetDuma R1

I've looked up this model online, it looks like there is a convoluted way to get to the web interface and disable QoS, but I'm not sure if this would be necessary. I'm relatively certain that the QoS on the switch won't interfere.

• 3 weeks later...

I would think you would need to run both in tandem.

So traffic from the PC is going through the switch, you need to prioritize QoS on the switch for PC traffic. Then you can add the PC in QoS on the R1.

Reason is you want the switch to handle traffic from the PC first so it forwards it to the R1 as fast as possible and on the R1 you want the router to deal with your PC traffic first as well.

QoS needs to be end to end as far as possible so if you're using managed switches in between you want to set up QoS on those as well.

In this case though I doubt that a printer and VOIP device would be disturbing traffic much. Since they are not used on a continuous basis.

• Administrators

I actually wouldn't recommend this course of action. I would suggest one QoS aka the router doing all the hard work. If you can't disable QoS on the switch that is fine, minimal interference should be fine but I wouldn't suggest actively prioritizing it. However, you could try either or and see what works best for you, every connection is different.

I don't see why.

The router can't prioritize packets if it isn't getting them faster.

If you have alot of traffic coming back and forth over your switch it would be an advantage to set up QoS on that as well I would assume :)

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, Bert said:

I don't see why.

The router can't prioritize packets if it isn't getting them faster.

If you have alot of traffic coming back and forth over your switch it would be an advantage to set up QoS on that as well I would assume :)

Not necessarily - having two QoS solutions running at once can result in too much throttling, and gives some pretty strange results in some cases. We'll see what happens in this case!