No Open NAT suddenly???

So I downgraded to the original firmware, now having issues getting open NAT. NAT type says “unavailable”. Not sure what’s going on.....tried port forwarding all ports, with and without UPNP turned on. I’m using the pass through feature on my gateway modem & I always had open NAT type. Is it something with the pass through address along with the old firmware IP that’s not jiving?

Thanks. 

5 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

So I downgraded to the original firmware, now having issues getting open NAT. NAT type says “unavailable”. Not sure what’s going on.....tried port forwarding all ports, with and without UPNP turned on. I’m using the pass through feature on my gateway modem & I always had open NAT type. Is it something with the pass through address along with the old firmware IP that’s not jiving?

Thanks. 

When you downgraded did you perform a factory reset, if not then you should do! Also never use upnp and port forwarding at the same time, you will have issues if you do, it's either 1 or the other.

1 hour ago, BIG__DOG said:

When you downgraded did you perform a factory reset, if not then you should do! Also never use upnp and port forwarding at the same time, you will have issues if you do, it's either 1 or the other.

Yes I did the factory reset & I tried with one or the other as far as UPNP & port forwarding. Still a no go. Not sure what else to look for. 

• Administrators

Disable the Geo-Filter completely, sometimes when enabled it can cause a false reading. If it's fine after that then you can enable it and forget about it or potentially add the server that it may be blocking.

5 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

what is your R1 connected to and how? Example: is it connected to a modem/router combo or a modem or a gateway?

It’s connected to the BGW210 modem/router combo. I put it in pass through mode with the Duma hardwired directly to it. Packet filters and firewalls turned off on the BGW210. I find games /lobbies fairly well but I can’t connect to my friends when trying to invite them to my game / party chat. 

I have all ports manually forwarded on the BGW210 as well. Should I have them forwarded on both the BGW210 & the duma, or just the Duma?

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you added your friends to your allow list on the Geo-Filter?

No just on the Duma, disable UPnP/port forwarding and WiFi if applicable on the BGW

Yes sir, but since I factory reset I’ll have to add them again. 

I really appreciate you ALL helping me out with this. Hopefully we can get it figured out. This is probably the first real issue I’ve had. 

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay do that and let us know you get on!

Ok, so I set the pass through again on BGW, disabled all port forwarding & WiFi (I don’t use the WiFi from the BGW210 or Duma, my Netgear is wired to Duma for WiFi only). I didn’t see any UPNP option so hopefully that’s fine. My setup is BGW210 (modem/router combo) - Duma (pass through from BGW) - Netgear wireless router & Xbox wired to the Duma. Turned off UPNP on the Duma and have all ports forwarded under “add rules”. Restarted the BGW, then the Duma, along with Xbox......and still shows NAT “unavailable” when I go to settings & check NAT type on Xbox. Instead of just popping up, saying “moderate”, “open”, etc......it’s shows that it’s searching, then eventually it shows “unavailable”, along with some information under it....I think Xbox something or other & something about “toredo” can’t be found?

Can something be off with the IP addresses or something, since it’s in pass through? If so, what do I need to check? It worked fine before so it’s definitely something since I downgraded, not jiving with the BGW. I get an open NAT with just the BGW & no Duma. 

29 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you disable the Geo-Filter before doing the test? If not that's likely the cause.

No, but I’ll try that next. I’ve never seen it do that before but that’ll be nice if it’s just the GEO. 

Now I did reset it in a round about way after I factory reset it so not sure if the GEO would be the cause. But definitely worth a shot. 

50 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you disable the Geo-Filter before doing the test? If not that's likely the cause.

Should I remove my console from GEO, reboot, then check network NAT with GEO still off......or any other specific method?

• Administrators
12 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Should I remove my console from GEO, reboot, then check network NAT with GEO still off......or any other specific method?

All you need to is toggle it to disable, but deleting from Geo-Filter does the same trick. No need to reboot (but no harm in doing that either). Then check NAT

After that, add everything back into the Geo and test NAT again. See if the results are different.

4 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

All you need to is toggle it to disable, but deleting from Geo-Filter does the same trick. No need to reboot (but no harm in doing that either). Then check NAT

After that, add everything back into the Geo and test NAT again. See if the results are different.

Ok, so far so good. Just unchecked enabled, turned console on & had Open NAT. I literally was waiting to get hit by lightning for how easy that was! Lol 😂. After I turn the geo back on & play, I’ll check again. 

Whats the preferred method for Geo when turning on & off console on a regular basis. I’ve heard mixed stories on whether to turn Geo off or leave it on upon every shutdown, then turn back on once console is on?

What are your thoughts?

• Administrators

Okay that's good then. It's just indicating that the Geo-Filter is interfering with the NAT reading - this does not mean you have a NAT issue just that it can't communicate with the server to determine that it is open. If you notice a server being blocked while it is enabled and doing the NAT test then allow it and from then on it should be able to get the reading when it is enabled. 

I would suggest you leave it on consistently through shutdowns/reboots.

36 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay that's good then. It's just indicating that the Geo-Filter is interfering with the NAT reading - this does not mean you have a NAT issue just that it can't communicate with the server to determine that it is open. If you notice a server being blocked while it is enabled and doing the NAT test then allow it and from then on it should be able to get the reading when it is enabled. 

I would suggest you leave it on consistently through shutdowns/reboots.

Perfect! Sounds great........thanks so much for your time. I’ll keep ya posted 💪🏼