Upcoming xr500 firmware upnp fix

One can only hope! I think the upnp was an issue for a few across the board.. And that is something that needs updating on Netgears end.. As long as it is taking for this new firmware one would think there are several issues they are ironing out.. Again most of this is on Netgear.. So we will see how this all plays out.. I am very curious about this next new firmware! Excited and also cautious.. I just hope things get fixed and not new bugs added.. 😕 

Zippy.

All Firmware releases are down to Netgear and when they roll them out. Using port forwarding is 100% reliable which is more than can be said for upnp on any router as upnp is not 100% guaranteed to open all ports that are needed.

If you want to try port forwarding then follow this simple guide but remember to disable upnp as it hinders port forwarding and causes conflicts.

https://portforward.com/netgear/nighthawk-xr500/

Guest Killhippie

At this rate it will get released when the next quarterly updates are released, so maybe July, I really hope not though and NTGR just release a out of cycle firmware for the XR500. I have to say though using my Beta AX12 unit I'm not really seeing the difference in performance gaming wise from DumnaOS to stock Netgear firmware on a different router, which is a surprise. Hoping to retest the XR500 if and when its updated as I do miss the interface.

Guest Killhippie
9 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

All Firmware releases are down to Netgear and when they roll them out. Using port forwarding is 100% reliable which is more than can be said for upnp on any router as upnp is not 100% guaranteed to open all ports that are needed.

UPnP is really a security risk, but for most home users its not that much of an issue but most business class routers don't use UPnP. The fact that I never see UPnP in action on my XR500's (three from beta to first revision then the newer one) makes me wonder how it got so royally screwed up on some system configurations. I had one firmware version where it worked and that was it. It seems macOS and Firefox are a bad mix for this router. NTGRs firmware has really gone down hill in the last two years, and it wasn't great before that. The thing is they make great hardware though.

3 hours ago, Aspect of Wrath said:

Just making sure they know it is still an issue, I have been using port forward but i can only get it to work with 1 device. How do i port forward the same ports for 2 devices?

3074 for 1 and 3075 for the other. OR, port forward 1 device and DMZ the other and disable DMZ when gaming has finished. It is far less of a security risk to DMZ a games console than it is a pc. I would never ever suggest you DMZ anything except a console.

8 hours ago, Killhippie said:

UPnP is really a security risk, but for most home users its not that much of an issue but most business class routers don't use UPnP. The fact that I never see UPnP in action on my XR500's (three from beta to first revision then the newer one) makes me wonder how it got so royally screwed up on some system configurations. I had one firmware version where it worked and that was it. It seems macOS and Firefox are a bad mix for this router. NTGRs firmware has really gone down hill in the last two years, and it wasn't great before that. The thing is they make great hardware though.

The newer upnp2 is more secure than the traditional upnp standard which I have seen on the latest asus merlin firmware but I still rather use port forwarding. 

12 hours ago, Killhippie said:

At this rate it will get released when the next quarterly updates are released, so maybe July, I really hope not though and NTGR just release a out of cycle firmware for the XR500. I have to say though using my Beta AX12 unit I'm not really seeing the difference in performance gaming wise from DumnaOS to stock Netgear firmware on a different router, which is a surprise. Hoping to retest the XR500 if and when its updated as I do miss the interface.

Ha ha lets hope it doesn't go as long as July! That would make it around the 7-8 month mark.. We could never survive that! LOL.. I also cant wait to test the new firmware for the XR500.. Very curious on that one.. :) I just hope some headway is made.. It will be a total downer if it hasn't.. To be honest im surprised we haven't already had a firmware update.. I was expecting things to have picked up by now.. Its funny when I first purchased the XR500 I must have pick it up 3-4 times in the store and sat it back down..  That was an omen.. I should have left it in the store.. :P 

Zippy.

I am sure if its worth while but you could always message one of the netgear mods on there forum and ask to get in touch with a level 3 or 2 tech . If you get a higher level tech they make you sign a statement about beta testing a firmware and they will give you a beta if you meet there requirements.

Guest Killhippie
10 hours ago, Zippy said:

Ha ha lets hope it doesn't go as long as July! That would make it around the 7-8 month mark.. We could never survive that! LOL.. I also cant wait to test the new firmware for the XR500.. Very curious on that one.. :) I just hope some headway is made.. It will be a total downer if it hasn't.. To be honest im surprised we haven't already had a firmware update.. I was expecting things to have picked up by now.. Its funny when I first purchased the XR500 I must have pick it up 3-4 times in the store and sat it back down..  That was an omen.. I should have left it in the store.. :P 

Zippy.

NTGR missed the first quarterly of this year so unless they throw a out of cycle update for the XR500 (would be for security not new features or bug fixes I bet) It could be around the 17th of the second quarter. Saying that I'm playing Destiny on the AX12, 12 stream AX router which has no advantage on Wi-Fi 5 products but the 2.4Ghz 64bit Quad core CPU and extra ram seems to make it great for online gaming and without all the issues of clearing cookies out and losing settings because the overlay is JavaScript. (I would not pay for a AX12 though I was lucky enough to beta test it) Wi-Fi 6 routers have a long way to go, but the Qualcomm CPU seem superior to the broadcom units. speed wise. It does get hot though but the fan is not really audible. I'm sure we will see a DumaOS version at some point. As of now I wont put the XR500 back into service until I see some headway with the firmware issues on both sides. Also the router needs to be able to prioritise streaming better than it does, after all gamers do watch Netflix etc.

Guest Killhippie
14 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

The newer upnp2 is more secure than the traditional upnp standard which I have seen on the latest asus merlin firmware but I still rather use port forwarding. 

Hope its better than WPA3 which has already been hacked after 15 months and god knows how many years years before WPA4 is released. So its patches and updates for a standard that isn't even standard yet 🙄

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/04/serious-flaws-leave-wpa3-vulnerable-to-hacks-that-steal-wi-fi-passwords/

Guest Killhippie
11 hours ago, WalkedDave said:

why not use port trigger?

Because the router has UPnP and yes although you can use port triggering the main issue is a feature included in the router is not working as it should. Saying why not use port triggering is a bit like saying my indicators don't work on my new car, so i'll carry a passenger and use our arms out the windows as turn signals and never get the indicators actually fixed. If the router has a feature it should work, simple as that. :)