Halo MCC: Geo-Filter Disconnecting Pre-Game

Myself and others using the Geo-Filter in MCC are unable to connect to any games at the moment.

You can get matched with players in lobby, but once the pre-game loading screen appears with the map details, the server details at the bottom-right will state 'Connecting East US 2' before you inevitably get kicked back to lobby.

Flushed the cloud, restarted all equipment, only thing that works is disabling the Geo-Filter.

The tick rate for the matchmaking servers was recently changed from 15 send and 30 receive to 60 both ways, that's the only change I know of that has occurred server side with MCC.

Is this something you're already aware of and investigating?

If you are getting kicked back right before the game starts its likely you are blocking a authenticating server. Are you parting up with players using the Geofilter also?

Nope, solo matchmaking, no servers blocked.

Simply confirmed with others who have been unable to connect that they in fact possess an XR500 - it's a pretty big world so it would take a crazy coincidence to take the blame away from the router.

It could be the router then.. I also have the XR500.. But currently im no longer using it.. Ive had issues of my own with it..  Maybe its a firewall issue with in the router.. See what Netduma says when they chime in here on this for you.. Its strange how many users ive come across with issues with this router.. 😕

Good luck!

Zippy.

• Administrators

It's possible there's a key authentication server being blocked, which would make sense if they've been changing the servers recently in the game (hence the improved tick rate).

Could you try this please:

1. Bootup the game in Spectating Mode

2. When you're ready to search, switch back to Filtering Mode

3. Search for a game

Does the game then perform as normal i.e. only distant servers get blocked?

If not, could you make sure you're fully zoomed out on the Geo-Filter. Then try and click on any connections that appear outside of your range that get blocked when you attempt to access the game.

Thought I'd update, it seems to be working now... kinda.

I can see my traffic routed through Amsterdam, but the endpoint still shows as 'East US 2', even though a 'North Europe' datacentre exists (occasionally get it).

I don't presume there's anything that can be done about that though?

C1r,   Microsoft has been really doing strange things lately when it comes to the MCC and H5..  I have similar issues as you have.. The main reason I don't use the Geofilter anymore is because I would set my radius and start to search for a game on strict mode.. No matter what I would do I rarely got a game on the server in my radius.. For some strange reason right before the game starts I get bounced to a server outside of my radius at the last second.. But at no time did I ever get kicked back to the lobby.. When I first got my Duma XR500 it worked fairly consistent and I liked it..  But ever since the MCC went to full on dedicated servers that went down hill quick.. Hope you have better luck then me! From what your describing sure sounds like a authenticating server is being blocked for you.. Not intentionally by you though..

Zippy.

• Administrators
15 hours ago, C1r said:

Thought I'd update, it seems to be working now... kinda.

I can see my traffic routed through Amsterdam, but the endpoint still shows as 'East US 2', even though a 'North Europe' datacentre exists (occasionally get it).

I don't presume there's anything that can be done about that though?

Does these US servers have a higher ping? If so, you could try using the Ping Assist as a ping filter: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000087579--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-ping-assist

10 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Does these US servers have a higher ping? If so, you could try using the Ping Assist as a ping filter: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000087579--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-ping-assist

Can you elaborate please? Given what I understand of the Ping Assist, it won't allow me to narrow the scope, only expand it?

EDIT: NVM, I see in the guide what you mean -  will give it a try.

• Administrators

Your settings look good, so it's very strange that the US server is being allowed through given it has such a high ping. What do you have added the top? Is it just your Xbox?

Could you try factory resetting and then setting up with the exact same settings again. Please then see if the same issue occurs: https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

Factory reset, same server still appears.

Just so you're aware, everyone I've spoke to who currently owns an XR500 is experiencing this same issue in MCC.

Typical travel route is:

Xbox > XR500 > VM Router [Modem Mode] > VM Exchange > Amsterdam Server [North EU Gate] > Virginia Datacenter [East US 2]

So whilst my delay to Amsterdam is typically <30ms, the full delay comes to >150ms+

• Administrators

Sounds like it's using an EU server to connect you to the US. If it's doing that then I'm not sure the Geo-Filter could prevent that. Are there any settings on the game that can help you restrict the search?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sounds like it's using an EU server to connect you to the US. If it's doing that then I'm not sure the Geo-Filter could prevent that. Are there any settings on the game that can help you restrict the search?

I think Fraser this is what it might be doing.. Ive experienced it like that before.. Where one will connect to the closest server but then that server connects somewhere else.. Example is I connect to my closest server which is US North Central but the game is actually on US Central South.. I don't think there is anything one can do about this because its technically connecting one to there closest server its just MS hands it off to another.. And I don't think there is anyway one can intervein between the hand off because that's in MS hands at that point.. Basically its one dedicated sever communicating to another during a game at various locations..

Zippy.

11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yeah it sounds exactly like that, so unfortunately I don't think there's anything we can do. I have mentioned to a colleague to retest the game 

Thanks Fraser! Id be curious to see what you guys notice when you retest the game.. Something tells me that is whats going on.. And its very likely not a Geofilter issue..

Zippy.

18 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

None, but I will mention one thing I've found out.

If you are connected to the West Europe Ireland server, it doesn't hop anywhere else. Only trouble is it's up to MCC as to whether that is opened for you as it doesn't always appear to be active.

I therefore suspect Ireland only operates during peak hours, and opens a connection for overflow if your EU party makes up the majority of players in game.

In either case, my thoughts align with yours and Zippy - it's just a shame that we can no longer technically do what we previously could with the XR500... good luck with finding a workaround.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's really interesting, thanks for the extra information. Do they not have the focused etc search parameters?

During a short period a year or two back they had a Region Lock that you could set, and Halo 3 on the 360 had criteria such as connection, language etc.

Nowadays they have zero search parameters, beyond what game / game type you wish to play.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Tripper said:

p2p connection was a lot better then the dedicated servers I'm just getting killed behind walls and getting blanks and everyone has top advantage against me.

Is there any way you can use the Geo-Filter to force P2P?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Tripper said:

no they removed p2p from multiplayer I was saying that the game was better before they added the servers

Understood, we'll look into the server issues and see if there is anything we can do to get around it.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Understood, we'll look into the server issues and see if there is anything we can do to get around it.

Its not your guys fault its the way 343i added the servers to mcc countless clips and screenshots of lag and killed behind walls and bloodshots not even fun I give up playing halo awhile ago can't be competitive or even casual with connection like this...

8efba8a2-4850-41ba-9b33-505c78e8f70e.thumb.PNG.91faea18afc411ab8854d76c68bc7e38.PNG41107d08-244e-4f46-8752-c1e253c5389e.thumb.PNG.ddedd648ba2f5f0f30a155c5ea05ba85.PNGa297eb30-80c8-42c3-ad54-53f1013df9a6.thumb.PNG.64b572baf7c69123655454e259897eea.PNGb30c5c34-4ed4-4f93-90eb-762fb8d0a14e.PNG.f37df76d1d15f83df3e0f02a6dc0b9ce.PNG