R1 geofilter (or DumaOS) is broken....

bbursley

• Administrators

The only thing I can think of is that once its recognised the ports should be open for that device after the game is closed it doesn't remember. Have you done a static IP/port forward? I'd maybe suggest doing a mass port forwarding 1-65535 TCP/UDP to the console just for testing purposes and see if the issue is reduced. If it is then I think port forwarding may be the answer.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The only thing I can think of is that once its recognised the ports should be open for that device after the game is closed it doesn't remember. Have you done a static IP/port forward? I'd maybe suggest doing a mass port forwarding 1-65535 TCP/UDP to the console just for testing purposes and see if the issue is reduced. If it is then I think port forwarding may be the answer.

WELL, I thought of that theory before as well honestly. Heres the really funky part though, Ive gotten it to work even when my nat type for the game was moderate. The issue is I dont want to completely turn off UPNP from the router because then wake on lan support wont be there (for instance waking up an xbox) or even controlling a roku device from a phone. I also still never had UPNP issues on the old R1 firmware so the fact that its happening on here seems weird to me. Even if i port forward the specific ports for most cod games (usually the 3074-3076 up ones) then ill create a moderate nat type im sure. I mean I did try it, I added them to port forward and rebooted and they still showed on UPNP and it did stay open, but it didnt actually make it go away. Now maybe it didn't go moderate because it took it like UPNP forwarding rather than just UPNP alone. Like, my device already opened them, but then port forward also kept them alive. This is again why I wish we had DMZ for consoles...It would totally eliminate port issues as far as NAT is concerned, Im just not sure if it would break other services related to ports for the device, but it shouldn't?

3 minutes ago, bbursley said:

WELL, I thought of that theory before as well honestly. Heres the really funky part though, Ive gotten it to work even when my nat type for the game was moderate. The issue is I dont want to completely turn off UPNP from the router because then wake on lan support wont be there (for instance waking up an xbox) or even controlling a roku device from a phone. I also still never had UPNP issues on the old R1 firmware so the fact that its happening on here seems weird to me. Even if i port forward the specific ports for most cod games (usually the 3074-3076 up ones) then ill create a moderate nat type im sure. I mean I did try it, I added them to port forward and rebooted and they still showed on UPNP and it did stay open, but it didnt actually make it go away. Now maybe it didn't go moderate because it took it like UPNP forwarding rather than just UPNP alone. Like, my device already opened them, but then port forward also kept them alive. This is again why I wish we had DMZ for consoles...It would totally eliminate port issues as far as NAT is concerned, Im just not sure if it would break other services related to ports for the device, but it shouldn't?

I have all ports listed in Activision site forwarded with UPNP off. I’ve turned it on with and without ports manually forwarded, along with no ports forwarded & UPNP off at the same time......is it weird how I don’t seem to notice a difference with any combination?? I thought if you port fwd, UPNP should be off or vice versa? Lol 😂 

2 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

I have all ports listed in Activision site forwarded with UPNP off. I’ve turned it on with and without ports manually forwarded, along with no ports forwarded & UPNP off at the same time......is it weird how I don’t seem to notice a difference with any combination?? I thought if you port fwd, UPNP should be off or vice versa? Lol 😂 

yes it should be lol. there are some rules set in some routers that allow upnp forwarding. I'm not sure exactly how that works per say. I have noticed sometimes you can turn the UPNP off and you'll still see the ports forwarded. Idk man....I don't really understand why this firmware does what it does half the time. I sometimes wonder if I should just leave geo alone and play with only Qos. Its so much more time consuming than not fiddling around with it every damn time, versus the old firmware I set and forget it. Never got moderate NAT, Never had Geo issues, QOS is kinda trash on the old one VS Duma, but I guess in theory you could use an AP and then a managed switch then the rest.....butttt....thats not why we bought the router for. :P

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Use port forwarding & UPnP as well just to check but generally would recommend it off. I'm struggling to think why it would work sometimes and not all the time when nothing is changed. 

Yea I just checked, I had that and it was moderate, cuz i did think of that previously, just to rule out that possibility.

so again heres the issue....this is my geo set like it would be on R1 OS and it takes so long to find a match....

image.thumb.png.f6a1f722154c37bb248fe807028439d4.png

As a result...im getting shoved off onto player hosts with a far worse ping than what I know is possible (cuz on R1 OS I have shown how I can consistently get the same server area). I rebooted the router and had an Open NAT at the time of doing this as well. Perhaps my device needs to get linked into or something. I know thats a pain, but I want so badly for DumaOS to work flawlessly (or even damn near close to it).

image.thumb.png.1be5b6350633bde8d5b62663f6376364.png

Correct me if I’m wrong, but when the game boots up initially, the only (and all) icons that appear, are all the dedicated servers, correct? And these are the ones we should be trying to connect to for best gameplay? It’s kind of hard to catch these since they disappear & don’t always pop back up while you’re in a lobby. Is there a way to lock into these before they disappear?

6 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but when the game boots up initially, the only (and all) icons that appear, are all the dedicated servers, correct? And these are the ones we should be trying to connect to for best gameplay? It’s kind of hard to catch these since they disappear & don’t always pop back up while you’re in a lobby. Is there a way to lock into these before they disappear?

I just know where they are lol. Theres ALWAYS COD servers in that little radius I set. For literally ghosts, bo3, bo4, IW, MWR, you name it, if it had a dedicated server its there. I went and played bo4 and IW and got servers on them right there. Like every single time too. Though when the geo gets flaky it can tend to become a matter of waiting ages for a damn lobby before I do get one, or I have to reboot the router. R1 OS geo was like INSTANT, so I feel like this should be no different. Though this layout is alot cleaner looking than the previous, R1 OS was so confusing with icons, I just knew I had dedis by the way the ping was low and mostly consistent and the ID even said it was, it was tolerable. I can deal with confusing if it works you know? 

I always have a hard time deciding whether a server is good or bad honestly! There’s soooooo many factors involved. Just when I think I’m on a good server, something “in game” changes & now I’m a step behind, after I’d just been dominant for the first few rds. Taking into account, better players rotating into the lobby, maybe I’m missing shots, etc..........I have a hard time pinning down the best server. 

• Administrators

Could you take a screenshot of the whole of every page/option on DumaOS please if it's not too much trouble then we can see if there are any settings that wouldn't usually recommend and go from there

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you take a screenshot of the whole of every page/option on DumaOS please if it's not too much trouble then we can see if there are any settings that wouldn't usually recommend and go from there

yeah, trying one LAST thing, I set a static IP on the console instead of the R1 this time, Like...outside of DCHP range but still on the same subnet of course, that way my console IP is absolutely the same, and this way it broadcasts itself to the router. I did static on the R1 before as well, outside the DCHP that gets assigned that way it cant change. Im hoping this will avoid discrepencys if the console has it chosen rather than the router choosing. also avoiding any NAT issues even though it shouldnt cause it if I had used the routers static assigned. but oh well. so far its actually been smoother than its ever been. (maybe its a fluke i dont know lol)

51 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's interesting, hopefully it stays that way!

Well, I went and tried a few other games. Bo4 of course isnt that great for hit detection to begin with. One game was good and the other was crap, but nothing unusual there. I went back to bo3 as a trial to see if it would just take to the GEO. First loading up of the game it did nothing, second time, it was fine. I guess this game is just alot more sensitive when using DumaOS than the R1, but i could for now we could say that it works....just gonna give it more time and see how it evolves. I still would argue that its not as seamless as R1 OS is when it comes to GEO, HOWEVER, Qos on it feels much smoother than when using the R1 OS so that kinda makes up for it. I do kinda wish that bo3 would function much more smoothly. I wonder if others might have similar struggles with it and not just me. Every other game seems to work fine so far....again...so far lol. for now, i guess while inconvenient of a firmware compared to the past we can just see how it fares out. 

17 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

BO3 it could be that not as many people play it but wouldn't answer the issue completely. Glad to see its working for now, do keep us updated, this has been a real head scratcher!

Youd be surprised honestly, because I would always find games instantly on the R1. Upon booting it up again this morning I had no issues. I am using the version with no ping assist (not sure if thats even where the issue was), but since I know where all my local servers are I really dont need that so much, if I had to I could just hone in on the one spot over it. Not sure what fixed the issue, (maybe it was slightly nat related?). since using a static IP on the xbox outside of the auto DHCP range I have had no issues yet shockingly. I do think that there suggests some issue related to either when PA was added or just DHCP in general. I used static through the firmware last time and it did stick but idk...I think somehow NAT got affected in this and that specific port for bo3 and that may be why it didnt work anymore, yet the others did (usually anyways) and thats the only thing I really did that different from anything so far. I had even used the no PA version before in other tests when this firsts happened so perhaps we can rule that out. In theory its not really needed (more or less just nice to have for that extra layer of filtering... I take back my frustrations for DumaOS thus far. So glad its finally working how I had hoped it would (or as best as it can for what my connection is). So perhaps there might be some investigation into the DHCP and geo side of things. I would assume static IP on firmware was causing discrepencys for some reason or another which led to geo not working, its the only thing different. Hell, I even feel like my QOS works slightly better too, but that could just seem that way cuz local lobbies now?