Router keeps DC for DHCP lease renew

Whats going on here,this XR500 keeps disconnecting for DHCP lease renewals 

[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Wednesday, March 27, 2019 09:35:34
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Wednesday, March 27, 2019 09:35:34
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.4] to MAC address 5c:41:5a:4f:6a:56, Wednesday, March 27, 2019 09:35:34
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 178.79.252.141, port 80, Wednesday, March 27, 2019 09:35:17
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Wednesday, March 27, 2019 09:34:57
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Wednesday, March 27, 2019 09:34:57
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.2] to MAC address 00:1c:2b:0f:18:9d, Wednesday, March 27, 2019 09:34:57
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Wednesday, March 27, 2019 09:26:53
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Wednesday, March 27, 2019 09:26:53
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.22] to MAC address dc:a9:04:1e:a5:f1, Wednesday, March 27, 2019 09:26:53
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Wednesday, March 27, 2019 09:20:03
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Wednesday, March 27, 2019 09:20:03
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.22] to MAC address dc:a9:04:1e:a5:f1, Wednesday, March 27, 2019 09:20:03

Connection Status

DHCP Server 0.0.0.0
DNS Server 0.0.0.0
Lease Obtained ----
Lease Expires ----
Connection Time 01:03:11:32
Connection Status connected
Negotiation Success
Authentication Success
IP Addres  
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255

• Administrators

I assume all devices are going down, as in it has no internet at all or is it just some devices e.g. wired devices not WiFi?

What version of the firmware are you on? Make sure your consoles are shutdown completely after use, not using instant on/standby modes, does that resolve it?

Hey Fraser,  I also get the same thing.. My question is why does DHCP make a lease change so close in time from one another? Can you give me an example why this would do this? Ive never seen this type of activity where DHCP is constantly doing this.  Why would DHCP make a lease change if nothing has changed in that short period?  I can understand that it would likely renew a lease over a 24 hr period but why are we getting these back to back changes when nothing has changed?  Thanks!

Zippy.

32 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I assume all devices are going down, as in it has no internet at all or is it just some devices e.g. wired devices not WiFi?

What version of the firmware are you on? Make sure your consoles are shutdown completely after use, not using instant on/standby modes, does that resolve it?

Latest firmware and the only reason I noticed it was my daughter disconnected last night and today I was on a phone call over WiFi and it went down twice,my consoles are never in rest mode,why would the router keep disconnecting from the net ,it’s only very brief whilst it renews dhcp lease 

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Hey Fraser,  I also get the same thing.. My question is why does DHCP make a lease change so close in time from one another? Can you give me an example why this would do this? Ive never seen this type of activity where DHCP is constantly doing this.  Why would DHCP make a lease change if nothing has changed in that short period?  I can understand that it would likely renew a lease over a 24 hr period but why are we getting these back to back changes when nothing has changed?  Thanks!

Zippy.

They appear to be for different devices apart from one that is duplicated for some reason, perhaps it was turned off and then on. Might be the time of day for the change but not sure exactly, it was developed by Netgear and DHCP Lease isn't an option they've allowed that can be extended.

33 minutes ago, sharpz44 said:

Latest firmware and the only reason I noticed it was my daughter disconnected last night and today I was on a phone call over WiFi and it went down twice,my consoles are never in rest mode,why would the router keep disconnecting from the net ,it’s only very brief whilst it renews dhcp lease 

Has it only occurred since upgrading to the latest firmware? So it's not an everyday occurrence? Set static IPs for your devices, does that resolve it?

42 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

They appear to be for different devices apart from one that is duplicated for some reason, perhaps it was turned off and then on. Might be the time of day for the change but not sure exactly, it was developed by Netgear and DHCP Lease isn't an option they've allowed that can be extended.

Has it only occurred since upgrading to the latest firmware? So it's not an everyday occurrence? Set static IPs for your devices, does that resolve it?

Not set statics ,may have to do that then ,kind of defeats the object having to set around 25 devices,and yes only since latest firmware,never seen it in previous 

Well after consideration,I am having to say goodbye to this router as can’t be doing with disconnected devices at random stages ,moving back to ASUS Rog rapture GT AX as do not want to sit there and assign static ip to devices ,should not need to do that.

Seems to have settled its self down again after having it unplugged for a few days, I tested the New Rog Rapture GT AX 11000 ,but sent it back ,great piece of equipment but prefer the duma software ,what year is there a new firmware coming out ...lol

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We'll that's great news, happy it seems to be working correctly again. Thanks for sticking with it! We're working hard on the 1.4 update and can't unfortunately speak for Netgear as to when they decide to put out an update.

Hey Fraser, As you know I have been quite vocal on the firmware release times.. And I know you cant speak for Netgear.. But what I find to be very sad and confusing at the same time is the fact the length of time it takes Netgear to send out any firmware updates for such a length of time..  So much so that these lengths definitely push most of us past our warranty dates.. And that is just for one firmware release.. Hard to diagnose if one has hardware issues or firmware issues when they are virtually this slow for firmware updates.. And thus makes having a warranty on this router almost laughable!  Joke of the day!>>>>Netgear should start to make rolls of toilet paper.. At least we could use that to wipe our you know what!! LOL  🤣

Im still hanging on here also with you guys! I haven't given up! I sure hope Netgear holds up there end though..

Zippy.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Zippy said:

Hey Fraser, As you know I have been quite vocal on the firmware release times.. And I know you cant speak for Netgear.. But what I find to be very sad and confusing at the same time is the fact the length of time it takes Netgear to send out any firmware updates for such a length of time..  So much so that these lengths definitely push most of us past our warranty dates.. And that is just for one firmware release.. Hard to diagnose if one has hardware issues or firmware issues when they are virtually this slow for firmware updates.. And thus makes having a warranty on this router almost laughable!  Joke of the day!>>>>Netgear should start to make rolls of toilet paper.. At least we could use that to wipe our you know what!! LOL  🤣

Im still hanging on here also with you guys! I haven't given up! I sure hope Netgear holds up there end though..

Zippy.

I understand your point of view, they use different development cycles to us so there will be a good reason for it. They didn't get where they are without it!

• 10 months later...
14 hours ago, Silenseking said:

I'm having the same issue, but mine gets so bad that its doing it every minutes at times.

This router has been nothing but problems for me since I got the thing, Very disappointed with this product 

I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried any of the advice in this thread?

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Silenseking said:

Yes, I have been trying a lot of the advice threads and still nothing, plus I keeps disconnecting.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

If it is happening extremely frequently every few minutes then it is very likely faulty and so I would recommend you get it replaced or start an RMA process with Netgear by making a ticket here: http://support.netgear.com/

However, it's possible it's due to power. Do you have it plugged into a power extender? If so plug it directly into a wall outlet and see if it improves. If it doesn't then it could be the adapter itself, if you have one with similar voltage then try that. Otherwise I'd get it replaced/RMAd.

So this is still happening, Fraser can you confirm this is a Netgear issue and not related to Duma software ,also if so I take it that the 3.0 update will not resolve this . 
thanks

• Administrators
On 2/28/2020 at 9:47 PM, sharpz44 said:

So this is still happening, Fraser can you confirm this is a Netgear issue and not related to Duma software ,also if so I take it that the 3.0 update will not resolve this . 
thanks

It is likely a Netgear issue as this doesn't happen on the R1 with DumaOS. However, saying that the 3.0 update is much more well rounded so if there is something going wrong with the synchronicity between our software and NG settings then it should be improved. I don't see the issue on the XR unfortunately so it is hard to be specific. We do think it is related to DHCP which is for Netgear to fix. They will include updates along with 3.0 when it is released so it is possible this will be fixed.