PS4 SDD broken?

JOE1305

Hi guys,

I have a question. Can somebody tell me, how I recognize if my SDD in the PS4 is broken or its just the game? Im playing Blops4 and everything is lagging so hard after playing for 1 hour. In the beginning its just a little bit, but later I cant even pick the right class for the next match because it so hard to jump through the menue. The SDD is a Samsung EVO 750 with 1 TB  and I bought it on Amazon in August 2018. I wanted to open the PS4 to clean it but I need a special tool. I own the PS4 for 5 year now, its a white one. I appreciate any advice in advance. Im considering buying a PS4 Pro because they are not so expensive now.

Thx and best regards

I would try giving it a bloody good clean. Being 5 years old and by the sounds of it you have not been able to clean it thoroughly as you would like there's gonna be a lot of dust. I have a vac it a very fine cleaning nozzle but I have also used compressed air. The compressed air will clear any dirt it comes into contact with but do it outside and not too close to the ps4 so as to avoid damage from the blast of air. Apart from buying a tool kit that will alow you to take the casing off I do not know what to suggest. I have only ever taken the top left sliding panel off to change my hdd spinning drive that comes as standard on a ps4 for an SSD.

This is the tool kit to allow you to open up the console. I am sure you can get it from your region.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Silverhill-Tools-ATKPS4-Playstation-Consoles/dp/B00O12YNRY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1553165720&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ps4+tool+kit&psc=1

2 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

I would try giving it a bloody good clean. Being 5 years old and by the sounds of it you have not been able to clean it thoroughly as you would like there's gonna be a lot of dust. I have a vac it a very fine cleaning nozzle but I have also used compressed air. The compressed air will clear any dirt it comes into contact with but do it outside and not too close to the ps4 so as to avoid damage from the blast of air. Apart from buying a tool kit that will alow you to take the casing off I do not know what to suggest. I have only ever taken the top left sliding panel off to change my hdd spinning drive that comes as standard on a ps4 for an SSD.

thx big dog. i watched a few tutorials on youtube how people open the ps4 without this special tool. just with a random srewdriver. maybe i can handle it too and finally take a look inside of the ps4. i bet the cooler is full of dust and dirt and thats why the ps4 slows down and sometimes really get loud when its cooling.

38 minutes ago, JOE1305 said:

thx big dog. i watched a few tutorials on youtube how people open the ps4 without this special tool. just with a random srewdriver. maybe i can handle it too and finally take a look inside of the ps4. i bet the cooler is full of dust and dirt and thats why the ps4 slows down and sometimes really get loud when its cooling.

The fact that you said it gets really loud points to a dirt/dust blockage. I would avoid using it until it is cleaned to avoid any damage (if not already caused)  or becoming a fire risk. 

40 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Yeh it'll probably be dust, I agree with Big Dog. It'll be outside of warranty anyway so you don't need to worry about voiding it when you open it up, just don't lose any screws! :)

i dont care about the warranty because sony demands a lot for a repair. its easier to buy a complete new one lmfao

On 3/21/2019 at 12:39 PM, BIG__DOG said:

The fact that you said it gets really loud points to a dirt/dust blockage. I would avoid using it until it is cleaned to avoid any damage (if not already caused)  or becoming a fire risk. 

I somehow managed to open the ps4 and didnt look good inside :). The Ps4 is now running smoother and isnt loud anymore. But the only thing that drives me crazy is menue lag of blops4. Is the game buggy or what can it be? Because when I watch youtubers I dont see any stuttering in the pregame menue. hmmm

IMG_20190323_103419_resized_20190325_082835333.jpg

IMG_20190323_103426_resized_20190325_082835665.jpg

Wow that's a lot of dust, glad you got it open and cleaned out. Youtubers have great connections, usually they have dedicated lines and live close to a server. There's one guy on this forum live 10 minutes drive from a major server which explains why he melts everyone. Unless you live close to a games server farm, have a business class connection (such as leased line)  static ip address and have good sponsorship then the chances of you having a connection such as drift0r, xclusiveace and all those others then are pretty remote then you are gonna have to suck it up like the rest of us and make do with what you got! :(

12 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

Wow that's a lot of dust, glad you got it open and cleaned out. Youtubers have great connections, usually they have dedicated lines and live close to a server. There's one guy on this forum live 10 minutes drive from a major server which explains why he melts everyone. Unless you live close to a games server farm, have a business class connection (such as leased line)  static ip address and have good sponsorship then the chances of you having a connection such as drift0r, xclusiveace and all those others then are pretty remote then you are gonna have to suck it up like the rest of us and make do with what you got! :(

Yeah, it was really alot inside after 5 years. Thanks for all the info about the youtubers. That sucks :(

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, JOE1305 said:

Yeah, it was really alot inside after 5 years. Thanks for all the info about the youtubers. That sucks :(

XD I'm glad you sorted that out Joe, that fan looks dire. Problem solved!

On 3/21/2019 at 10:07 AM, JOE1305 said:

Hi guys,

I have a question. Can somebody tell me, how I recognize if my SDD in the PS4 is broken or its just the game? Im playing Blops4 and everything is lagging so hard after playing for 1 hour. In the beginning its just a little bit, but later I cant even pick the right class for the next match because it so hard to jump through the menue. The SDD is a Samsung EVO 750 with 1 TB  and I bought it on Amazon in August 2018. I wanted to open the PS4 to clean it but I need a special tool. I own the PS4 for 5 year now, its a white one. I appreciate any advice in advance. Im considering buying a PS4 Pro because they are not so expensive now.

Thx and best regards

I haven't really played BO4 because of connection issues but the game seems a laggy mess either way. The menus are even worse than BO3's... 

I tried to play on a fairly new PS4 Pro with a brand new Samsung 860 SSD and the menus are disgusting, it takes forever to pull up the share menu to save a clip and my PS4 sounds like a jet trying to take off. I don't see any of those issues in other games...

Maybe your fan could use a clean though. I cleaned my PS4 Pro out (I think the method for accessing the fan is a little different) and because there was only a little dust inside, it didn't seem to make much difference. That could be your problem if the console hasn't been cleaned out after five years. 

Edit: sorry, I was sleep deprived and failed to notice you'd already done that LOL