XR700 Wifi drop out

Ashleyb9006

Hi guys,

Wonder if any of you can help with a small connection issue i am having on my XR700. I am currently experiencing a issue in which my connection drops for only around two seconds. The problem appears to be fairly frequent. Devices don't discount during this time but appear to lag, this when in games is alot more noticeable and i have small screenshot here to show this happening. If any of you have any suggestions on how to fix this it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Capture.PNG

Hi, Thank you for the welcome, yeah i do appear to notice this, on my mobile for example ill be watching videos and get a few second buffer then it continues. Its very hard to say the frequency of this occurring, i would say i notice it more when i game, the game will lag and then reviewing the graph after lagging you can see (as above) you get this small disconnect segment show. But generally it's such small disconnects anything else that isn't streaming its not much of a problem.

• Administrators

Okay great thanks for the info. What I'd suggest first of all is going through this optimal settings guide for QoS http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos and then monitoring to see if you get the issue again, if so let us know and we can look further. 

I have done a fair bit of testing with regard to settings, from disabling QoS and changing each setting to see its results. I haven't been able to find anything that helps stop this issue. I just appear to get frequent drop outs. I have not yet factory reset the router as it was my last option but im not sure if this will help. I have read some posts that indicate that it can be a firmware issue?

I do not use any IPV6 or VLANs, my set up is as follows:

XR700 is the main router, which is connected to a ISP router which is set in Modem mode

i have this attached wirelessly to a Netgear EX8000 that is hardwired to a Netgear S8000 switch to some hard wired devices.

Most devices are attached to wirelessly except for 3 devices connected to the S8000

All devices still see that small drop even if wired or wireless 

Yeah in this instance as follows i did do that and similar to when it was on the extender it appears that when i game i get rather large drops (As image shows). Still not enough to drop my connection but cause a good bit of lag. The console i game on it set as priority in QoS. This does seem to happen more when a device is streaming a video and or game it does this.

Capture.PNG

I see you are in the UK and that you say your isp supplied router is in modem only mode, I take it then you are a virginmedia customer and i will also assume you are using the hub3? When was the last firmware update performed on that modem/router? You are aware of the faulty intel puma6  chipset that is installed on that device? 

Could you try removing the XR700 and using just your isp supplied device please? I can understand it is a pain in the a$$ but this is a process of elimination and at the moment the suspect cause looks like that modem/router.

1 last thought........................swap the lan cable from your hub3 to the xr700 as this is also a potential problem as all your issues still happened when removing the s8000 switch so the only direct link through to your hub3 is via that lan cable!

Let us know how you get on :)

If the drop outs are only brief and occur across all devices then I would look into what time the dhcp lease says and note if there is a correlation with the length of time in between drops. It could be that the leases are being renewed and as such may drop a connection? This happened to me as well and I think the default lease is set to something crazy like 12 hours? I extended mine to about 168 days. I would get random connection drop outs and couldn’t figure out why. I’m still under he suspicion of a QOS bug, but that’s my personal thought. Anyways, check and see what that says and see if that helps. Because I feel like it might of helped me too. Also wouldn’t hurt to just make the consoles etc static so as to never have to worry about that. Only issue I found with that was having to refresh upnp cuz it got wonky on me even though I used the exact same IP host number. 

6 hours ago, bbursley said:

If the drop outs are only brief and occur across all devices then I would look into what time the dhcp lease says and note if there is a correlation with the length of time in between drops. It could be that the leases are being renewed and as such may drop a connection? This happened to me as well and I think the default lease is set to something crazy like 12 hours? I extended mine to about 168 days. I would get random connection drop outs and couldn’t figure out why. I’m still under he suspicion of a QOS bug, but that’s my personal thought. Anyways, check and see what that says and see if that helps. Because I feel like it might of helped me too. Also wouldn’t hurt to just make the consoles etc static so as to never have to worry about that. Only issue I found with that was having to refresh upnp cuz it got wonky on me even though I used the exact same IP host number. 

You have to use the 10gig port, the wan port on this update is broken.

6 hours ago, AnnonymouS said:

You have to use the 10gig port, the wan port on this update is broken.

I have the R1. So for me this does not really apply. It almost sounds like a driver issue for that specific port. Since really all a firmware is, is like a super small operating system with limited functionality.

Just to give everyone an update on what i did and maybe is there are any known/unknown problems 

I did as suggested and removed the XR700 and made the virgin super hub the main router, connected to that and it was perfect, not a single bit lag was really good (And this was with the EX8000 and S8000 both incorporated into this) so i did at this point rule out the hub as a problem source.

After that i reconnected the XR700 and factory reset it also to properly try again. I had an unusual issue in which (maybe as suggested above by others)  in which the router would say that there was error no internet connected detected on the 1G connection however there was packets being sent across. I did various troubleshooting methods to make sure the superhub was fine and it was, my laptop could hardwire no problem. Having reset the XR700 many times it did finally pick a connection up and connected. However once back on it was still dropping connection while streaming/gaming. In my haste to make this work i did order a brand new replacement, and sent what i could only assume to be faulty one back.

The new router works perfectly, have strong and solid connection. Although when i connected it to the modem when first setting it up it had the very same problem briefly as the last with connection to the WAN port, and could not read download and upload speeds. After a little bit of messing about it did finally connect, not sure if this is a known or unknown bug. Thank for the support overall guys on here, i did cop out a little and get a new one but i was very committed to get the system working. 

• Administrators

Thanks for sharing this update. Sorry you had a rough time with the first unit, but great to hear it's working well for you now.