“Goodput”??

CrossFitKila717

Goodput should only be disabled in very specific circumstances and honestly only the developers know what those are.  

Goodput accounts for packet headers so that speedtest gives a more accurate results.

When the Goodput option is checked, the bandwidth values for both upload and download will more closely align to a speedtest. Netduma recommends you keep this option checked unless told to do otherwise.

3 minutes ago, PharmDawgg said:

Goodput should only be disabled in very specific circumstances and honestly only the developers know what those are.  

Goodput accounts for packet headers so that speedtest gives a more accurate results.

When the Goodput option is checked, the bandwidth values for both upload and download will more closely align to a speedtest. Netduma recommends you keep this option checked unless told to do otherwise.

Cool, thanks for the input! So many adjustments on this thing. Lol 😂 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

So is the Goodput option the same thing as preemptive on original firmware.......if so, does it need to be on or off with speeds of 200 / 10? I didn’t see anything about this in setup. 

PharmDawgg's answer is great. In case you don't know, the next time you're on DumaOS you can click on the little '?' icons in the corner of every panel and options menu. They will give more context about what you can see.

9 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Another quick question.......I saw somewhere that we should “factory reset” AFTER upgrading to DumaOS in order to make sure all bugs/old firmware is wiped clean......is this accurate?

It's not mandatory, but it's a good idea because DumaOS preserves a bunch of your old R1 settings (deliberately). For example, WiFi name and password, plus many other things. If you're not precious about starting fresh and setting everything up again, then it's a good idea to reset.

6 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

PharmDawgg's answer is great. In case you don't know, the next time you're on DumaOS you can click on the little '?' icons in the corner of every panel and options menu. They will give more context about what you can see.

It's not mandatory, but it's a good idea because DumaOS preserves a bunch of your old R1 settings (deliberately). For example, WiFi name and password, plus many other things. If you're not precious about starting fresh and setting everything up again, then it's a good idea to reset.

Great, thank you. 💪🏼😎

On 2/20/2019 at 10:03 PM, CrossFitKila717 said:

Another quick question.......I saw somewhere that we should “factory reset” AFTER upgrading to DumaOS in order to make sure all bugs/old firmware is wiped clean......is this accurate?

I don't feel like this is accurate. When I install my Duma OS upgrade from a freshly downgraded and base  for of the OS previous to it, the IP is 192.168.88.1. After upgrading and installing Duma OS the up changes to 192.168.1.1. Not a big deal right? BUT, when you factory reset it after upgrading the IP address CHANGES back to 192.168.88.1. and Qos becomes sloppy. Prior to factory reset after upgrading cloud stalls out on the geofilter, however AFTER factory reset it has no issues. I tried this many times and the result was the same. SO if I had the Duma OS install and downgraded, well then id factory reset for shits and giggles just to ensure no settings are applied. Then id upgrade without preserving anything etc. No matter what you do theres always a bug here or there. Upon inital install of Duma OS everything runs great....till it doesnt work great anymore. The router honestly just needs to be wiped clean of any OS and have ONLY Duma OS installed, and since netduma team doesnt allow that....well good luck. Factory reset is moot at this point.

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, bbursley said:

I don't feel like this is accurate. When I install my Duma OS upgrade from a freshly downgraded and base  for of the OS previous to it, the IP is 192.168.88.1. After upgrading and installing Duma OS the up changes to 192.168.1.1. Not a big deal right? BUT, when you factory reset it after upgrading the IP address CHANGES back to 192.168.88.1. and Qos becomes sloppy. Prior to factory reset after upgrading cloud stalls out on the geofilter, however AFTER factory reset it has no issues. I tried this many times and the result was the same. SO if I had the Duma OS install and downgraded, well then id factory reset for shits and giggles just to ensure no settings are applied. Then id upgrade without preserving anything etc. No matter what you do theres always a bug here or there. Upon inital install of Duma OS everything runs great....till it doesnt work great anymore. The router honestly just needs to be wiped clean of any OS and have ONLY Duma OS installed, and since netduma team doesnt allow that....well good luck. Factory reset is moot at this point.

Wait a minute, your IP changes to 192.168.1.1 after going from original Netduma R1 firmware to DumaOS? I have never heard of that before (and would explain why you're maybe seeing other problems).

Did you change the LAN IP in the old firmware by any chance?

Very weird. Probably not really worth us debugging now given most people have upgraded, but would be good to know that this issue is out there.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Wait a minute, your IP changes to 192.168.1.1 after going from original Netduma R1 firmware to DumaOS? I have never heard of that before (and would explain why you're maybe seeing other problems).

Very weird. Probably not really worth us debugging now given most people have upgraded, but would be good to know that this issue is out there.

yeah, the original Netuduma IP (as I would assume since I never change it) is 192.168.88.1, upon upgrading to duma os it becomes 192.168.1.1. I am not entirely sure why this happens. The only reason I was able to diagnose that was from using ipconfig /all when it wouldn't allow me to use the old IP. However, upon doing a reset, I get bumped back to my old IP for some reason. I was really thrown off by it as well. You may be right and perhaps theres some kind of issue im encountering that nobody else is, but I don't know why. I have never changed ip LAN IP either to my knowledge but even still, wouldnt explain why it would change from one thing to another even if I had, and then back. Its trivial at best.

13 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Whats weird is upon a fresh install of Duma OS I was getting perfect A+ all accross the board. That fell away to only getting A+ BB and the rest tanked. I have no idea why this keeps happening, I guess I must have a buggier device 🤷‍♂️

20 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Heres a before and after upgrade, showing my LAN IP changes for no reason, I took screen shots as documentation because i had intended to follow up with this on here. I wasnt joking lol. IDK what the hell is going on. As you can see, I did not preserve any settings either. I wanted the cleanest install from one to the other.

BEFORE dumaOS.JPG

After upgraded.JPG

• Administrators

I think this is probably because you're not preserving the settings which kind of makes sense and then upon a factory reset goes back to the default 88.1. If you did preserve settings you'd see the IP stay the same. Since most people don't upgrade without saving settings they'd have the same IP. 

I wouldn't put too much credence on DSLReports results given the test will not saturate your connection and only when saturated is when bufferbloat occurs. We've also posted in the past that DPI can impact the score. If everything is fine tuned after following this guide then you're set on QoS http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I think this is probably because you're not preserving the settings which kind of makes sense and then upon a factory reset goes back to the default 88.1. If you did preserve settings you'd see the IP stay the same. Since most people don't upgrade without saving settings they'd have the same IP. 

I wouldn't put too much credence on DSLReports results given the test will not saturate your connection and only when saturated is when bufferbloat occurs. We've also posted in the past that DPI can impact the score. If everything is fine tuned after following this guide then you're set on QoS http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection

so then realistically, resetting back to factory is OK, Its just kind of weird that it would change still. Idk, I just never felt like the connection was great for me for one reason or another. Ill play around with it more sometime. I am concerned by it saying I have a C quality connection though because generally when that drops, everything seems bad. When I have all A's. then everything feels great within the game. Coincidence? I dont know, but its pretty strange how those two things seem to relate.

• Administrators

Yes factory reset is absolutely okay. I'm not sure why it changes to that specifically but I always had it in my testing and was normal behaviour. That rating could change for a number of reasons, I'd say if you use the guide and saturate your connection as much as possible while finding the % that gives you the lowest jitter/spikes that would be better than going off a rating