Device Prioritisation

Hi Netduma Team,

I have a question. What function has the device prioritisation on the Duma OS? It makes no difference if I put 100 or 30 percent to the PS4. The problem is when I lower the sliders to a certain amount my other devices dont have enough bandwith. Because when I play Blops4 I have to move the sliders to 10 down and 10 up, because it sometimes stabilizes the game but my girlfriend cant really watch netflix on the TV. So my suggestion would be to let bandwith sliders at 100 and in the device prioritsation just give your console enough bandwith where you have an A+ connection regarding dslreports.

Thx guys

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, JOE1305 said:

Hi Netduma Team,

I have a question. What function has the device prioritisation on the Duma OS? It makes no difference if I put 100 or 30 percent to the PS4. The problem is when I lower the sliders to a certain amount my other devices dont have enough bandwith. Because when I play Blops4 I have to move the sliders to 10 down and 10 up, because it sometimes stabilizes the game but my girlfriend cant really watch netflix on the TV. So my suggestion would be to let bandwith sliders at 100 and in the device prioritsation just give your console enough bandwith where you have an A+ connection regarding dslreports.

Thx guys

With Share Excess enabled she should have enough to watch Netflix... I wouldn't set your PS4 to 100, 30 sounds about right.

The point is to make sure that device has enough if it's needed by the device. If you set it to 100, and then you performed an action on the PS4 which required 100, the PS4 would take that bandwidth (leaving the other devices with nothing). If it didn't need 100, and instead was using about 60, then the other devices would share the remaining 40 between them. I hope that makes sense :)

So in this case I'd recommend giving that Netflix device more bandwidth, since it sounds like it doesn't have enough. Games use very little bandwidth, so it's less important for your console.

13 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

With Share Excess enabled she should have enough to watch Netflix... I wouldn't set your PS4 to 100, 30 sounds about right.

The point is to make sure that device has enough if it's needed by the device. If you set it to 100, and then you performed an action on the PS4 which required 100, the PS4 would take that bandwidth (leaving the other devices with nothing). If it didn't need 100, and instead was using about 60, then the other devices would share the remaining 40 between them. I hope that makes sense :)

So in this case I'd recommend giving that Netflix device more bandwidth, since it sounds like it doesn't have enough. Games use very little bandwidth, so it's less important for your console.

i know that games use just a little bandwith and the share excess is always ticked jack :). i just mean when i move the sliders down to 10 percent than its pretty hard to stream something on the tv. but its where blops 4 is not lagging so much. sometimes i have to move the sliders to 50/60 or 70/70. so my suggestion was why cant be maybe in the future that the sliders stay at 100 and you just give percentage to your devices how much they need would be easier and much better for sharing the bandwith. if u know what i mean :)

• Administrators

Just to be clear, you're talking about Anti-Bufferbloat and Bandwidth Allocation correct? I would absolutely never advise leaving Anti-Bufferbloat on 100%. Put it on 70% for download and upload. Then in Bandwidth Allocation don't worry about download but give your console enough for about 5mbps upload and disable share excess on just upload. Should be able to achieve both scenarios then - the game will have more than it needs.

20 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Just to be clear, you're talking about Anti-Bufferbloat and Bandwidth Allocation correct? I would absolutely never advise leaving Anti-Bufferbloat on 100%. Put it on 70% for download and upload. Then in Bandwidth Allocation don't worry about download but give your console enough for about 5mbps upload and disable share excess on just upload. Should be able to achieve both scenarios then - the game will have more than it needs.

yeah anti-bufferbloat. i will try it the next time i play.

• 2 weeks later...

When you untick shared on both upload and download it spreads the bandwidth evenly over the amount of devices you have on the network.

There should be a way that you can allocate what ever bandwidth you like to your gaming console say 2mb upload and 5mb download which gives me smooth game play in bo4 but keeping shared access ticked at the same time for the rest of your devices to use the left over bandwidth as shared. Without using congestion control for this example, say I have 10mb upload and 100mb download. I allocate 2mb upload and 5 mb download for ps4. Leaving 8mb upload and 95mb download with shared ticked for the rest of the network to use. 

• Administrators

Thanks for letting us know Ben. This is something we plan to do as well (working title is 'Lock Bandwidth'). Not sure exactly when it will be rolled out, but it's on our list.