Hello! I'm considering purchasing a NetDuma and have some ?'s

Magic Martin

Hello Everyone!

I'm Martin and I play online on the PS4, occasionally on the Xbox One and v occasionally on the Xbox 360. 

I play quite regularly (an hour a day on average) and mainly play "current day shooters"  - I'm too old/slow for the futuristic shooters where everyone is flying/jumping through the air & hovering etc etc . So I play COD Ghosts on PS4 & Xbox One and Black Ops 2 on Xbox 360. 

I'm in the UK and have a 150Mb Virgin Broadband package with "virgin router/modem" in router mode then connected to Netgear WNDR3700v4 Router to:

- PS4 or Xbox One

-  my pc

-  sons pc

- and wired Cat 5b or 6 to other end of our home to another Netgear WNDR3700v4Router which is set up as an Access point and connected to Xbox 360/TV etc etc.  

In our household we also have other things connected to Wifi eg laptops,  Ipads & phones etc

So I'm looking to get the Netduma Router to reduce / prevent the awful and frustrating lag seen when playing on console gaming especially Ghosts. All consoles are wired to router/AP.

I have some questions that I would appreciate answers on:

1.  It seems the Netduma could help reduce / prevent the lag seen when playing on console gaming by its "geo filter function" meaning I can choose servers that I'm being put into - please confirm.

2.  It seems the Netduma could help reduce / prevent the lag seen when playing on console gaming by its "Device Prioritisation" function which decides which users get what % of connection - please confirm.

3.  Would 1 or 2 help the most?

4.  Would it be best to connect as follows: Virgin "Modem"  <->  Netduma  <-> Netgear WNDR3700v4 Router <-> Netgear WNDR3700v4 AP ?  I was thinking to connect the PS4  or Xbox one to Netduma but Xbox 360 to Netgear WNDR3700v4 AP.  If so would I need to make the "Netgear WNDR3700v4 Router" a "Netgear WNDR3700v4 AP" too?

5. Alternatively I've seen people connecting this way:  Virgin "Modem"  <-> Netgear WNDR3700v4 Router <->  NetDuma  with their consoles connected to Netduma and Netduma in DMZ of Router.  What are pros & cons for me doing this compared to 4? - presumably the "Device Prioritisation" couldn't work for things connected "to the Netgear Router" (or Netgear AP if still connected to it).

6.  Further to 6, I've also seen people (eg simjc74 on YouTube) using set up as per 5 but with a TpLink Router which has functionality to "share/limit" the bandwidth to each user.   What are pros & cons for me doing this compared to 5?

7.  A naïve question - After the "initial set up" do you need to have a pc with a monitor connected to the Netduma Router  whilst playing online with a console to "keep" the Geo filter function and "Device Prioritisation" settings working or are the settings "remembered" (like any other router) ?    - for example the next day can I play online with the PS4 with the netduma settings from the day before - or will this only work if I'm logged in to the router by the pc too!  hopefully the settings will work without have to power the PC whenever want to play console gaming - unless there is an iPad app to do this instead?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions,

Martin :)

• Netduma Staff

Hi Martin, welcome to the forums :)

I will try and answer your questions in order:

1. You can't really choose the servers but you can stop your self from connecting to ones that are beyond your set distance. This should reduce the ping and hopefully make the gameplay better.
  2. Games only nee a tiny amount of data to function (about 800Kbps I believe). As long as they have this bandwidth and the ping is low you shouldn't lag. You can use the device prioritisation to make sure your console has sufficient bandwidth but this (especially in your case as you have very fast internet) won't really reduce the latency.
  3. Number 1 would help you the most :)
  4. Yes, that set up sounds good. You should set them both to APs if you can as then all the features on the Netduma will work properly.
  5. There aren't any advantages that I can see doing it this way because as you said, you won't be able to use some of the features with it connected like this. I recommend connected as you said in point 4.
  6. The Netduma will have an update soonish that will allow you to do this anyway. Not sure why you would want a router like that infront of the Netduma though as you wouldn't be able to see the devices behind it and therefore could only limit bandwidth to the Netduma as a whole thing and not individually.
  7. Nope - once it is set up you don't need to re-open the page. And an app is planned :) http://forum.netduma.com/topic/937-developers-public-web-services/page-2

Once thing to add to this. In point 2 maybe you meant congestion control as well? If you did, then congestion control is very beneficial if you have many devices using the internet. As your connection is so high I'm not sure if your line ever gets saturated but if it does, this feature would get rid of local congestion and stop any lag being caused by this.

Hopefully that helped answer your questions!

• Administrators

Crossy beat me to the punch on this but has answered your questions fantastically, hopefully that gives you more of a formed decision about purchasing! Any other questions please do let us know :)

Wow thanks very much Crossy and Fraser for the very quick and very thorough replies.

In terms of congestion control - I understand there are two parts "device prioritisation" and "Anti-flood" - is this it?

For "device prioritisation" - as you've answered above to question 2, it seems that there is no real advantage for this in my case.  However I have a couple more questions:

-  If select share excess - then I understand (/hope given your response to question 7) if only one of say X potential items are connected then would this still get "full speed" and not say 1/X of full speed. Please confirm.. 

-  Further, would the device prioritisation "also show" the items indirectly connected to the Netduma as connected via the Netgear APs ?

For "Anti-flood" - which I didn't think about.  Presumably I would set this to "algorithm to reactive" (as high speed internet) plus should cap the up & down rates - say to 90%?   Would these also help reduce lag too in my case?

Thanks again,

• Netduma Staff

Wow thanks very much Crossy and Fraser for the very quick and very thorough replies.

In terms of congestion control - I understand there are two parts "device prioritisation" and "Anti-flood" - is this it?

For "device prioritisation" - as you've answered above to question 2, it seems that there is no real advantage for this in my case.  However I have a couple more questions:

-  If select share excess - then I understand (/hope given your response to question 7) if only one of say X potential items are connected then would this still get "full speed" and not say 1/X of full speed. Please confirm.. 

-  Further, would the device prioritisation "also show" the items indirectly connected to the Netduma as connected via the Netgear APs ?

For "Anti-flood" - which I didn't think about.  Presumably I would set this to "algorithm to reactive" (as high speed internet) plus should cap the up & down rates - say to 90%?   Would these also help reduce lag too in my case?

Thanks again,

No problem. Again, I'll answer in order :)

1. Yes - those are the only two parts to congestion control.
  2. At the moment device prioritisation is only for upload. So if you have share excess on, and have alocated device x 50% but it is only using 20%, device w, y and z can use device x's bandwidth as it isn't using it. If device x starts to use more then it will get the bandwidth back. I hope that made sense :)
  3. Yes - if it is in AP mode it will show them.
  4. You'd follow this guide which explains how to get the hight speeds. That does include using the reactive algorithm. 90% would probably be fine - you might be safer at 80%. This would stop any lag caused by local congestion.

Hope that has answered those questions!

Great thanks.

Very tempted to get this.  Apart from the expense ;), the only downside I can see is the current 120Mbps limit that I understand the Netduma given I have (or am paying Virgin for) 150Mbps.  On reflection this could be why some people put their Router between the Modem and Netduma which I guess would work if they are using the "geo filter option" only and have v high speed internet?

• Netduma Staff

Great thanks.

Very tempted to get this.  Apart from the expense ;), the only downside I can see is the current 120Mbps limit that I understand the Netduma given I have (or am paying Virgin for) 150Mbps.  On reflection this could be why some people put their Router between the Modem and Netduma which I guess would work if they are using the "geo filter option" only and have v high speed internet?

Yeah - thats correct. That would be an advantage of putting your router infront of the Netduma. An update coming soon will take the Netduma speeds to gigabit speeds so that won't be an issue :)

Yeah - thats correct. That would be an advantage of putting your router infront of the Netduma. An update coming soon will take the Netduma speeds to gigabit speeds so that won't be an issue :)

I understand that this will be a downloadable firmware update

Thanks so much for your answers - I really appreciate your quick yet thorough responses.  :)

By the way I was recommended this router by an "online Xbox 360 and PS4" mate who I believe is "ProJect_GT82" on this forum

• Administrators

Yes it will, as soon as we launch it everyone can download it and upgrade for free, it will be a BIG one, I'm super excited about it! 

Crossy is great at that for sure :) 

Ahh ProJect! Great to see a recommendation from a duma user on here :)

Hi Martin,

I know what you mean about being too old for current shooters . I was on the verge of giving up gaming and leaving it to the "younger" generation...lol. Spotted R1 on tweeter and thought I'd give it a go. It has been the best bit of kit I've brought!. Not only does it enhance your gaming experience, it improves your overall ENJOYMENT of playing online. I'm an average gaming, but I started getting top score streaks (COD) within a day. Honestly, you'll notice that your winning gun fights like never before as the lag just doesn't seem to be there!.

I'm not the most technically sort of guy, so I couldn't really tell you the in's and outs of how it works, but take my word for it, it works like a dream. Plus the support you get of these guys is brilliant. Which is so refreshing. Trust me, buy one and you'll never look back

Happy gaming

the netduma is by far the best thing i have ever purchased to help better my online gaming sessions i was near to smashing advanced warfare into little bits but i have not rage quit a game since and if i lose i know i missed the shot  i cant blame lag now :rolleyes:

buy one you will love it and its always evolving with by far the best support from any company to date 

I am A FFA player in AW on ps4 Virgin Media 100mb plan. 

Using or purchasing this router was easily the best thing i could do for my gaming experience in the long time. To be honest with you in my case its the best purchase i made for console gaming. I have got Scuff control Freaks gaming monitor etc. All of those made a difference but, this router have change my game.

I have played Ghost before i got my duma router and though that game was the worse for me due to the color them i ended up having like 0.8 K/D now in AW with this router ins 1.62 K/D this is my highest result in my COD history. I play COD since MW. 

Here is a link to my honest and long thoughts about it done some time ago

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/1170-r1-task-forcemy-review/?hl=%2Btask+%2Bforce

So I've just ordered one :) (Note to Netduma - email address different to the one linked to this account)

Thanks to everyone for their replies and advice. Based on the above answers I think I will start off trying:

Virgin "Modem"  <-> Netgear WNDR3700v4 Router <->  NetDuma  with my consoles connected directly to Netduma and Netduma in DMZ of Router

So I've just ordered one :) (Note to Netduma - email address different to the one linked to this account)

Thanks to everyone for their replies and advice. Based on the above answers I think I will start off trying:

Virgin "Modem"  <-> Netgear WNDR3700v4 Router <->  NetDuma  with my consoles connected directly to Netduma and Netduma in DMZ of Router

Welcome to THE DUMA ARMY buddy.

Thats sounds like a good set up. Though once you receive your router dont forget to first upgrade it using this link

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=manual_update

Then very useful stuff in this link to to optimize our router 

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=fine_tune_netduma

If you wanna to see witch connections are one step form you i have posted like 40 games on my channel  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLJ7rrR8TAKOKaKo2M8xVbA

Nice one matey... will be the best thing you have bought in a long time.

Enjoy"!

So my Netduma arrived today.

I connected it up as above though took a couple of hours as got stuck for sometime after uploading the latest firmware then "couldn't get a pc to connect to the router".  Eventually I found the link to connect to the router via a different ip address.

To be honest I found it a bit confusing overall as wanted to set up WAN to put router in DMZ but the "prompting set up guide" was pushing me to do other things.

Anyway I got there eventually but then found PSN was down :-( 

I then dusted off my xbox one then tried to play Ghosts on there but couldn't get a game even with strict off for ages.  Decided to disable the settings then joined a game which was miles away but with good ping but game as bad as I  from months ago on Xbox One (which is why I got the PS4).  Then spent ages trying to find another game with no match so rejoined a person from previous game and it played v well until I was about 14 for 0 then people quit lobby then I collapsed to 17 for 6 or so with horrendous lag with ping jumping around on graph.  Note to self -> cancel xbox one live membership auto renewal!

Unfortunately PSN still down so gave up.  Interestingly on PS4 Cod Ghosts what distance and ping should I set up the geofilter with?

• Administrators

Hey Martin, glad to see its arrived :) I take it you went through the optimal settings guide? If you want to take a picture of the top of the Geo-filtering page and the Geo-filter itself we can highlight any issues/suggestions that would improve your gaming. Also lukasz has his great settings post as well if you would like to follow that :)

Thanks have taken those settings and also from Project.

So PSN up tonight then set up Netduma for PS4. 

With 1000ishkm and 30mS ping (20 more than my ping) I was getting the dreaded "dutch" server and experiencing the bad lag I hoped to avoid.  So I reduced the ping and distance until had servers in England - it avoids the very bad lag games (which can greatly help me Eg I went 50 for 0 recently in TDM  :) or (more usually hinder me :angry: ) but I still feel lag at times - normally around when I'm about to get killed.  When I sense the lag & look at ping graph running on laptop (temporarily wired to Netgear) often see a variation eg jump from 25 to 50mS - I wanted to attach a photo but I don't know how to.

At the moment I can see that the Netduma product is trying to help - I know it helps limit servers and I obviously understand that it doesn't magic servers to be better than they are.  I still do "rage quit" games when get killed due to lag not allowing me to aim correctly - eg when 10 for 0 then get killed twice with ping varying.  I even changed the network set up so nothing in the house was taking internet from the upstream router but only from the "AP router" that I moved so downstream (and no longer in parallel) to the netduma. To me I don't find it very easy to use which may be my age tbh.  I have some questions that would hopefully help me and some suggestions to improve the product too.

Apart from reducing ping/distance (now about 23mS and about 380km) - how to I "black list a server" - often as soon as I try to "rate it a low %" the option disappears and I really don't understand the red and green bars.  It would be great if I could right click on a server then select "black list" or "Promote to please use when possible".

Would using the "cloud bleeding edge thing help"? - if so what settings should I use?

It would be great it the Netduma Router automatically (by default) zoomed in around my home location whilst allowing the user to select a zoom location by selecting the location with the mouse if they so wish.  Apologies if it does this already and I haven't realised

How do I refresh to see all devices attached directly or indirectly to the Netduma (after changing the set up as above) ?

Lastly I strongly recommend that the Netduma router has a login name and password (as per other routers).

• Netduma Staff

I'll answer your questions in order :)

1. If you're having a lag issue can you post the information from here please :)
  2. Here is information on allow and deny. You can't allow and deny servers though.
  3. Yes - bleeding edge cloud should help as you will be using the latest cloud settings. If you just tick the box (with auto cloud also ticked) then it will be on.
  4. If you go to Settings >> Miscellaneous and tick 'Enable Cookies' then when you zoom into an area and leave the page, the zoom will automatically go there when you return to the page.
  5. The Device manager should automatically refresh. If it isn't try restarting the router.
  6. This feature is planned and on the system.

Let us know if that helps you :)

Archived