BT sport/ Youview through Netduma R1 and homehub5

ArcaPulse

Hi,

I have a BT homehub 5 and when using R1 for youview box (through powerline adapters) I can't access BT Sport channels. When power lines are plugged directly into homehub it all works fine but has none of the QOS settings and bandwidth management which leads to lag while playing online games. Is there anyway to use the R1 as the main router (I hope the R1 to be the only connection into the homehub and have everything else coming from the R1)  and watch BT sport as well?

Many thanks.

you would need an openreach modem, then connect your R1 to it and input your pppoe connection login details into the R1. The R1 does not have a built in modem where as the HH5 does. But using isp provided hardware is never a good idea as they are made on the cheap rather than quality based hardware (major isp's that is as niche ISP's often provide some great equipment).

• Netduma Staff
19 hours ago, ArcaPulse said:

Hi,

I have a BT homehub 5 and when using R1 for youview box (through powerline adapters) I can't access BT Sport channels. When power lines are plugged directly into homehub it all works fine but has none of the QOS settings and bandwidth management which leads to lag while playing online games. Is there anyway to use the R1 as the main router (I hope the R1 to be the only connection into the homehub and have everything else coming from the R1)  and watch BT sport as well?

Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum :) the advice above is great, Big Dog knows BT like the back of his hand! Let us know how you get on.

10 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

you would need an openreach modem, then connect your R1 to it and input your pppoe connection login details into the R1. The R1 does not have a built in modem where as the HH5 does. But using isp provided hardware is never a good idea as they are made on the cheap rather than quality based hardware (major isp's that is as niche ISP's often provide some great equipment).

I don't mean to derail this thread but, is there any modem you recommend so I can remove my Smart Hub from my set up. I tried an Openreach Huawei HG612 but it cut my speeds in half. I've been eyeing up a TP-LINK AC1600 Wireless Gigabit VDSL/ADSL Modem Router, Archer VR600, V2 but not sure if it's any good.

2 hours ago, Azlios said:

I don't mean to derail this thread but, is there any modem you recommend so I can remove my Smart Hub from my set up. I tried an Openreach Huawei HG612 but it cut my speeds in half. I've been eyeing up a TP-LINK AC1600 Wireless Gigabit VDSL/ADSL Modem Router, Archer VR600, V2 but not sure if it's any good.

create a separate thread about you speeds as you are right it isn't fair to derail this thread! :)

So I contacted BT, amongst getting them to upgrade all the extra for me for free they said they can’t send me a modem as the home hub 5 has a built in one. They instead are sending the “new” smart hub 2. I don’t know if this will be any better. Is there a way to use only the congestion control (qos, geofilter etc) on R1 and then have WiFi and Ethernet from the new smart hub? Would I still need the BT modem with the smart hub 2? Also, would buying a referbished one be ok as they are way cheaper than a new one. If there are any other modems that would work I’d be happy to look into it as I don’t want to spend much more on my internet setup if possible.

• Administrators

You could do that but congestion control wouldn't work correctly as it wouldn't be able to control all devices on the network so you could still experience local congestion. Geo-Filter would still work assuming the device is connected to the R1. Doesn't look like you can put the smart hub 2 in modem mode either so ideally you'd want a modem to R1 as Big Dog previously suggested. Refurbished should be fine