XR500 Mulitple Issues, port #ing, internet bandwith loss, etc

New guy here... unfortunately. never had so many router issues and really off put for the amount of money i laid down for it.

here we go. most things were fine until a few days ago. lost all bandwidth. i have a 200mbps connection and was getting under 1mbps. When i finally realized it was a router issue I logged into Duma to see that I had a dozen or so devices that were on the network that were not mine. Have passwords on everything. Even the guest networks. That said I updated the firmware to the latest 2.3.2.40 and reset to default setting, and changed wifi names and passwords.

internet kinda came back, i now get 100mbps. i disabled qos and still no dice. So i need help with getting my full bandwidth going. 

Then i was adding and nameing my devices and looking at the device manager in table mode it does not have the ports listed for the device. At that moment i only had my computer connected in port 1. More interesting it showed that port 4 was being utilized instead at this time but it didnt make the connection that it was my computer. i attached a snippet.

the other issue i am reporting is that device manager does not do a good job of live updating. there are a few devices it was not registering as connected but were currently using bandwidth. Both an iphone and laptop. My Nexus 6p had no issues updating nor my computer connected via wire but other wired devices had issues too. 

would appreciate any help to get this expensive equipment doing its job correctly. 

snippet.PNG

• Administrators

Hi there - did you buy this router recently? If so, which LAN port light is flashing on the top the router? It should hopefully be port 4 (assume the device is still connected into it) - if not then it's possible you have them mislabelled.

As for the speeds, it's weird you're not getting it with QoS completely disabled. Are you doing this test over wired or wireless? And if you connect to your modem, do you then get full speeds?

I would recommend toggling your modem into modem mode or bridge mode if it offers it.

There's also this full guide for getting max speeds which you may want to try out: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-maxmimum-bandwidth-speeds

Guest Killhippie
On 1/7/2019 at 2:16 AM, pwp6z9 said:

New guy here... unfortunately. never had so many router issues and really off put for the amount of money i laid down for it.

here we go. most things were fine until a few days ago. lost all bandwidth. i have a 200mbps connection and was getting under 1mbps. When i finally realized it was a router issue I logged into Duma to see that I had a dozen or so devices that were on the network that were not mine. Have passwords on everything. Even the guest networks. That said I updated the firmware to the latest 2.3.2.40 and reset to default setting, and changed wifi names and passwords.

internet kinda came back, i now get 100mbps. i disabled qos and still no dice. So i need help with getting my full bandwidth going. 

Then i was adding and nameing my devices and looking at the device manager in table mode it does not have the ports listed for the device. At that moment i only had my computer connected in port 1. More interesting it showed that port 4 was being utilized instead at this time but it didnt make the connection that it was my computer. i attached a snippet.

the other issue i am reporting is that device manager does not do a good job of live updating. there are a few devices it was not registering as connected but were currently using bandwidth. Both an iphone and laptop. My Nexus 6p had no issues updating nor my computer connected via wire but other wired devices had issues too. 

would appreciate any help to get this expensive equipment doing its job correctly. 

snippet.PNG

I have my mac connected to Ethernet port 1 and DumaOS shows port 4, it seems to be a bug in the table view, Netduma  do know about it I believe. Its possible its just a GUI issue, but I'm sure they will work that out. Did you set the Antibufferbloat to 70% and always? Try selecting When High priority traffic is detected, Also is the red indicator showing up for  high priority traffic all the time If you set it to the High priority settings? Finally set Antibufferbloat back to 100%. As a last resort you can disabled QoS in the fly out menu in in the QoS panel with the petal device showing all your devices and the percentage given to them.

The router is designed to limit bandwidth so you gaming PC's consoles don't lag and with Geo Filter to help you get good pings. If its on always it will lower your throughput by the amount you selected in Antibufferbloat, hence why it may be better to set it to when high priority traffic is detected. That way it only switches on when you are gaming. Worth trying before you disable it completely.

I am having the same problem with the device manager. Some things are not showing others are saying they are connected and not working bandwidths all over the map. As soon as I turn QOS and bufferbloat games seem way worse. Everyday is a new issue with this router, I am with you with amount of money you drop on this router it should not have this many issues. 

Guest Killhippie
19 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Ah ok - thanks for clarifying KH. Almost certainly just a GUI issue, we'll look into it!

I have the later revision with the printing the correct way round on the back, so Ethernet port 1 is next to the WAN port. My iMac it shows as being used by Port 1 in Netgears statistics in Netgear settings, but port 4 in DumaOS table view.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Chf Wiggum said:

I am having the same problem with the device manager. Some things are not showing others are saying they are connected and not working bandwidths all over the map. As soon as I turn QOS and bufferbloat games seem way worse. Everyday is a new issue with this router, I am with you with amount of money you drop on this router it should not have this many issues. 

Could you update your separate thread on this please and explain in more details which devices are not showing and what those devices are doing at the time. 

3 hours ago, Killhippie said:

I have the later revision with the printing the correct way round on the back, so Ethernet port 1 is next to the WAN port. My iMac it shows as being used by Port 1 in Netgears statistics in Netgear settings, but port 4 in DumaOS table view.

Thanks for confirming 

Guest Killhippie
16 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Could you update your separate thread on this please and explain in more details which devices are not showing and what those devices are doing at the time. 

Thanks for confirming 

Also LED one lights up for Ethernet port 1 on the front. In the normal tree view I'm noticing some wireless devices like my printer or B&W Zeppelin get stuck as on or off as well, its all a bit of a mess tbh. Owning this router has been  been a bumpy ride for sure at times considering its been released almost a year. My  router has been factory reset also and had the firmware updated twice to the current version and reset. As I said in Netgears statistics the iMac is connected to Ethernet port 1 and doing fine but in the network table in DumaOS is port 4!

when i have time i poke around and gain more and more insight each time, but FYI

port 4 table view IS the port being used by kernel, end of transmission

additional hint VLAN /qos problems on local network -  wrong port being mapped to VLAN, actual vs netgear actual

additional hint, people reporting  'my iphone isn't connecting','my xxx isn't connecting' -- some wifi devices not connecting because possible race condition from qos <> firewall , conntrack and marking [ASSURED] before firewall sees traffic , firewall TIME_WAIT, NO SYN, error in iptables---  time for flowcharts (dread) rework/fix script

works when QOS disabled, because connection is not timing out as quickly, watch the count down till CLOSE

i will post when i have time whats going on , with examples, unless you have found it by now?

yes i guess you could say that, but not in routers

there is a lot going on and i am by no means a master but getting a better understanding of whats being done with the advanced traffic shaping each time i follow another path putting the puzzle pieces together.

there are def. some issue with the local lan <> internet <> lan <> iot when qos is on, its not all devices, i guess it depends on the connection, usually connections that go out to a server and the server comes back in on a different port or to a diff local lan device - device manager issues are only adding to it, that's a different story.

something to do with when the connection is marked, and then OUTPUT and INPUT on the firewall side is dropping, maybe misidentify as DoS, dunno, its not blocking everything but blocking one important reply (ack? fin?) from coming back in from the internet to keep the connection alive , could be happening during prerouting - so the connection is just counting down 2 minutes and timing out/closing

im surprised your not getting a lot of calls from people with arlo and xr500, because its effected

the way arlo works is arlo base -> <local lan> -> router -> <internet> -> aws <ESTABLISHED> and the !reverse

ex. say you open arlo app on phone that's on the SAME local lan ...  local lan -> router -> <internet> -> aws -> <internet> ->router ->>local lan-> base station and then its screwed on the !reverse

all going both directions thru wan - (u have an arlo there? i think you should be able to reproduce it and maybe track down what is being dropped by qos)

sometimes connection marked before firewall sees it come back into the base station, it can't connmark packets after the 1st one (when its NEW) ,so arlo may or may not connect or after a lucky connection -- it loses the mark --  the 2 minute countdown starts and instead of renewing you will see "your arlo appears offline." when it is online.

All works well when QOS is disabled. so qos is influencing something no doubt

something either the input/output is not letting ack back through and connection times out,. it could be effecting authentication servers on iphone , i know it effected port 4433 sonicwall vpns

i sent a PM to Fraser the other day with some more things, pls read my other thread i gave some thoughts to look at (more device manager then qos)

i will let you know if i find out what it is exactly , can't spend all time looking for it when it can be a simple ! instead of an and, or OR .. it can drive anyone nuts :)

I'll forward it to you..

• 2 months later...

similiar issues.. think ill go back to the data corrupted Asus router.... it worked it always worked. i can vpn with less trouble of this 300 dollar router with no warranty. very dissappointed. seems like i have to reset every time i have to use it to get my 200+ mbs....

let me know if you want my logs or anything else... i also had more than a  dozen users logined into my device with a password that i know is secure

thanks

preston

On 1/10/2019 at 7:41 AM, Netduma Admin said:

Thank you

Have you guys dug into this at all? What xr500user is saying is what im having issues with.. Can you give us an update on what you have discovered or give us some insight of what is going on and what one should do at this stage?  Thanks!

Zippy..

• Administrators
5 hours ago, pwp6z9 said:

similiar issues.. think ill go back to the data corrupted Asus router.... it worked it always worked. i can vpn with less trouble of this 300 dollar router with no warranty. very dissappointed. seems like i have to reset every time i have to use it to get my 200+ mbs....

let me know if you want my logs or anything else... i also had more than a  dozen users logined into my device with a password that i know is secure

thanks

preston

Was the speed drop off in general or just when using the VPN?

4 hours ago, Zippy said:

Have you guys dug into this at all? What xr500user is saying is what im having issues with.. Can you give us an update on what you have discovered or give us some insight of what is going on and what one should do at this stage?  Thanks!

Zippy..

We’ll check with the devs next week. Feel free to bump this thread to follow this up with us

On 3/30/2019 at 7:21 AM, Netduma Admin said:

Was the speed drop off in general or just when using the VPN?

We’ll check with the devs next week. Feel free to bump this thread to follow this up with us

Thank you for your reply.  Any info on what xr500user has mentioned would be a big help to understand what is going on.. What he has mentioned above is my primary concern. Because behind the scenes there is something causing issues with QoS..  And once that falls apart there isn't much one can do with this router in a performance stand point.. Any info on this at all would be greatly appreciated. :)  I will follow this closely..

Zippy.

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Zippy said:

Thank you for your reply.  Any info on what xr500user has mentioned would be a big help to understand what is going on.. What he has mentioned above is my primary concern. Because behind the scenes there is something causing issues with QoS..  And once that falls apart there isn't much one can do with this router in a performance stand point.. Any info on this at all would be greatly appreciated. :)  I will follow this closely..

Zippy.

Thanks Zippy. 

• 1 month later...

Has anything been figured out with what xr500user has mentioned here and other threads? Has Netgear looked into this yet or replied back to you guys at Netduma? These type of issues are severe issues that seem to be popping up in the XR series type routers.. I would even bet the newer XR300 router will start to display the same issues as xr500user has pointed out.. Unless Netgear has made headway on this matter..  But this has been mentioned many months ago.. And even here was brought up again and that's been about two months ago.. I would think this would be a priority type deal.. Can you give an update on this where we stand atm?  Thanks!

Zippy.