Expand wifi coverage home

AzeRuS94

Hello, I moved out into a new house with 3 floors and I hired a fiber connection of 100/100, the router was set by the technicians at the ground floor and I connected with through ethernet cable the netduma r1 to the router. At the first floor the signal is decent but in the living room the signal is weak with 2 bars of connection. The second floor is worst and the wifi can barely reach 1 bar. What can I do for expand the wifi because is impossible for me working in the second floor with my laptop. Thanks.

• Administrators

Hi - unfortunately you're probably at the limit of the hardware there on three floors. You could try changing the wireless channel in case the one you are currently using is especially congested.

But realistically, you have a couple of sensible options:

Cheap option - invest in a wireless extender: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wireless+extender&sprefix=wireless+ex%2Caps%2C204&crid=2OB6KPA3L5CSH

Expensive option - upgrade to a more powerful router: https://www.netgear.com/npg/

5 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi - unfortunately you're probably at the limit of the hardware there on three floors. You could try changing the wireless channel in case the one you are currently using is especially congested.

Cheap option - invest in a wireless extender: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wireless+extender&sprefix=wireless+ex%2Caps%2C204&crid=2OB6KPA3L5CSH

Expensive option - upgrade to a more powerful router: https://www.netgear.com/npg/

Thanks for reply, I bought a powerline adapter with wifi and ethernet ports I put it in the middle floor and now is a lot better, also I think I will buy the xr500 but what are the differences between the r1 and the netgear. My r1 is getting older, already have more than 2 years, Thanks for help me out.

22 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Now with the powerline adapter connected I'm not getting full speed via ethernet, I'm reaching only 60mb download and 80 upload. What can I do? Thanks for reply.

• Netduma Staff
30 minutes ago, RehivaE said:

Now with the powerline adapter connected I'm not getting full speed via ethernet, I'm reaching only 60mb download and 80 upload. What can I do? Thanks for reply.

Hmm, that's weird. With a powerline adapter (just so you're clear on this) it's basically the same thing as connecting with an Ethernet cable. The adapter might as well not exist, it's just passing all the traffic directly to connected devices. If you aren't getting your full speeds through it, try connecting the wire from your router to the adapter into a PC instead, then run a speed test. Are you getting your full speeds through that PC?

If you are, and you're using the same wire through the same router port, then you're getting your full speeds through the router itself. It'll be the adapter, secondary wire or connected device to blame at that stage :)

5 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Hmm, that's weird. With a powerline adapter (just so you're clear on this) it's basically the same thing as connecting with an Ethernet cable. The adapter might as well not exist, it's just passing all the traffic directly to connected devices. If you aren't getting your full speeds through it, try connecting the wire from your router to the adapter into a PC instead, then run a speed test. Are you getting your full speeds through that PC?

If you are, and you're using the same wire through the same router port, then you're getting your full speeds through the router itself. It'll be the adapter, secondary wire or connected device to blame at that stage :)

My current setup is modem-netduma---powerline adapter connected to netduma with ethernet cable---the extender powerline with ethernet ports connected to my pc via ethernet---from that extender powerline the rest of devices via wifi are connected. I'm using the tplink av600 powerline

56 minutes ago, RehivaE said:

My current setup is modem-netduma---powerline adapter connected to netduma with ethernet cable---the extender powerline with ethernet ports connected to my pc via ethernet---from that extender powerline the rest of devices via wifi are connected. I'm using the tplink av600 powerline

I found the proble, I did a test with the pc connected wired through the isp router and I get 97/97,  I did a test with the pc connected wired through the netduma and I'm getting 55/75 and after I did the same but now the pc plugged directly wired through the adapter which is connected to the duma and I'm getting 56/78. I followed the guide of the dumaos about not getting full speed but nothing. The problem here is the netduma I think.

27 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Can you provide screenshots of your Device Manager, Congestion Control, WAN, LAN and Miscellaneous settings pages please

I just did a speedtest with the powerline adapter connected directly to the isp router and I get 65/75 and I also did another connecting the pc to the netduma wired and I get my full speed 95/95. The problem Is the powerline(tplink av600) probably but is the only one I have that can be used via wifi and ethernet. I have another couple of powerline adapter(tplink av1000) but they only work trough wired, they give me full speeds but If I use them all the members of my family wouldn´t be able to use wifi because the routers are in the ground floor and at the 1 and 2 floor the wifi is weak as I explained in the previous post. Is possible to connect the powerline adapter (tp link av600) and the (tplink av1000) or will cause interferences or something like that??

57 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Can you provide screenshots of your Device Manager, Congestion Control, WAN, LAN and Miscellaneous settings pages please

These are the screenshots, about wan, lan and miscellaneous page what are those??? Thanks for the help.

device manager.PNG

qos.PNG

speedtest wired extender tplink.PNG

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay well sounds like you found the cause which isn't the router. You want to connect the powerlines together? I've never tried it so I don't know if it would work exactly. In theory if could work so give it a go

I already tried it, I connected the tplink av600 powerline pair for expand wifi signal around the house and then connect the tplink av1000 powerline only for my gaming pc but after that the av600 have no internet, I think is because only one pair can be connected on the wiring of the house or is possible to connect multiple powerline adapters???

17 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I've not heard of daisy chaining powerline adapters. You'd most likely need to put at least a switch between them

I finally found a solution, I bought an extender which gives fulll speed for every device in my house which is connected to the netduma wireless and for my gaming my pc I connected the powerline adapter who gave me also full speed. Now my question is how do I physical setup all the devices for an optimal QoS settings? Current setup is: isp router--netduma r1-powerline connected lan to the duma and the extender connected also to the netduma---all devices.   Shoul all devices be connected to the extender, because my device manager appear like this.

device manager.PNG

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, RehivaE said:

I finally found a solution, I bought an extender which gives fulll speed for every device in my house which is connected to the netduma wireless and for my gaming my pc I connected the powerline adapter who gave me also full speed. Now my question is how do I physical setup all the devices for an optimal QoS settings? Current setup is: isp router--netduma r1-powerline connected lan to the duma and the extender connected also to the netduma---all devices.   Shoul all devices be connected to the extender, because my device manager appear like this.

It sounds like a great setup - you can connect your devices to either the Netduma or the extender depending on how strong the signal is. Then I'd just use QoS to prioritise your gaming devices.