WiFi issues with R1 on dumaOS

George

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for the additional info. Your DHCP settings, have they been changed to keep LAN IPs in a restricted range compared to the default which I believe is .100-250?

nope I tend not to change anything like that as I don't really understand any of it. Only thing I changed was the lease time to a week when asked to.

It used to have a static IP but since it didn't help the situation its all set up to be automatic again. I'll try keep an eye on the system info page as much as I can on Thursday next week to try and see whats happening when it drops.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:17 PM, Netduma Jack said:

so far it's only clearly affected both of you and not the tens of thousands of other users

It could very well be that this issue happens to other people as well but me and Azlios had the technical understanding to figure out that this is not normal, the capability to articulate it and time to raise it with you guys.  

Of course as you say it could very well be an issue that only occurs to me and Azlios. And that most probably means that it is a hardware issue, wouldn't you agree? In my case, the original R1 that I received from you was defective (reset button problem) so I was sent a replacement R1. Could it be that the replacement R1 is a defective unit as well? Are you usually giving refurbished units for replacement or brand new ones in a situation like mine? 

22 hours ago, Azlios said:

I've kinda accepted it at this point

Personally I can't digest the fact that I own a "premium" router and had to spend £50 extra to buy yet another router in order to have reliable WiFi. 

22 hours ago, Azlios said:

I reckon it might have something to do with BT too if George is also on BT

No I was on EE and the issue persists even though I recently moved overseas. 

These are all from a quick search on the forum with similar issues across all platforms. There was even a firmware for the xr500 to help alleviate this issue. Granted they may be completely different issues and its not as simple to say here look everyone else has the same problem as me but I do think there are quite a few people out there having the same WiFi issue, and probably don't understand whats causing it, me included. Lots of people like me too that have had it since the 1.03.6 update.

Like I said before though, I'm sure it's not a simple fix and will probably take some time, but now its on your radar I'm happy to think you'll have it fixed soon. 

^^"They're different platforms and therefore different issues. This one is for Netgear to fix. If once DumaOS is released on the R1 WiFi issues continue we will be able to look into it further and have a fix."

• Administrators

It seems related to DHCP so not sure if it's a hardware issue and therefore something we should be able to fix in a firmware update, they are looking into it so hopefully they'll find the cause. Developers will let you know if they need any more information.

Those are related to XR500 so for Netgear to fix or from the old R1 firmware which was likely a different issue as it doesn't seem as prevalent on DumaOS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
7 hours ago, scbba said:

I'm having the same issues since getting new service with the tp link 7610 wifi just drops out randomly 

How many times does it occur over a day/week? Are all devices connected? If you look in the logs do you see entries regarding DHCP?

On 1/26/2019 at 11:59 AM, Azlios said:

These are all from a quick search on the forum with similar issues across all platforms. There was even a firmware for the xr500 to help alleviate this issue. Granted they may be completely different issues

Given the really bad support given here, I am sure there are a lot of people who don't even bother raising their issues. For instance I have raised another DumaOS defect that I am facing when trying to use third party VPN clients (R1 is blocking the connections) 1,5 month ago and even though I have given all the required info to the netduma team they still haven't managed to replicate the issue. I have been requested multiple times to do their debugging for them, even if that involves downgrading/upgrading my router's firmware etc.

For a "premium" gaming router this kind of support is unacceptable if you ask me... I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the people who face issues don't even bother reporting them here...  

• Administrators
16 hours ago, scbba said:

Happens 2 to 3 times a day or it may go a week or 2 without dropping but sometimes it' not all devices it' a few then other times its all of them.

Okay so there doesn't seem to be anything in common between the occurrences such as at specific times or under heavy/low bandwidth usage?

9 hours ago, George said:

Given the really bad support given here, I am sure there are a lot of people who don't even bother raising their issues. For instance I have raised another DumaOS defect that I am facing when trying to use third party VPN clients (R1 is blocking the connections) 1,5 month ago and even though I have given all the required info to the netduma team they still haven't managed to replicate the issue. I have been requested multiple times to do their debugging for them, even if that involves downgrading/upgrading my router's firmware etc.

For a "premium" gaming router this kind of support is unacceptable if you ask me... I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the people who face issues don't even bother reporting them here...  

I've just responded to your recent message about it, I've chased the team for you. 

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay so there doesn't seem to be anything in common between the occurrences such as at specific times or under heavy/low bandwidth usage?

I've just responded to your recent message about it, I've chased the team for you. 

no just random drops and ever since the new modem my ping has been ughhhh i usually average 15 to 20 ms to atl server but now I'm consistently in the 40s 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
13 hours ago, Azlios said:

Any update or news on this?

We're working on overhauling the entire settings area to offer something more substantial and rock solid. As soon as we have a build ready for you to test, we'll get it sent over to you guys to try out. Please bare with us - we realise it's frustrating to have these drops but it's very hard for us to debug as virtually no one else is having it beyond the reports from both you and George

32 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

We're working on overhauling the entire settings area to offer something more substantial and rock solid. As soon as we have a build ready for you to test, we'll get it sent over to you guys to try out. Please bare with us - we realise it's frustrating to have these drops but it's very hard for us to debug as virtually no one else is having it beyond the reports from both you and George

No worries, completely understand how difficult this would be to sort. It's just reassuring knowing you're attempting a fix. I appreciate the update.

• 5 months later...
On 1/25/2019 at 2:17 PM, Netduma Jack said:

I get the frustration George (and indeed, Azlios). This issue has taken a while - the reason being the difficulty of testing for it. Your logs are invaluable in this case as are the previous ones from Azlios, but I believe it's been a very hard nut to crack.

We know there's somethin' fishy going on, but so far it's only clearly affected both of you and not the tens of thousands of other users. For us on the support team, the best we can do to help you both is to make sure it's being investigated; and I can assure you guys that it is. I feel like every logical solution in terms of settings has been explored at this point.

I'm sorry it's happening to you, I just hope we can get a fix out in the next update. 

Any chance you have something on this matter? 

• 2 months later...

Same issue for me, Wifi last 1 or 2 days without problems. Once i reboot it, problems gone, its like night and day. I was just thinking on buying a AC adapter with Timer so it turns power off once a day. Actually one simple thing you should have in the software is a schedule reboot option. 

Using R1 with DumaOS Open Beta

i havent yet reseted after dumaos update, i will test increase lease time.

Should i factory reset before anything?

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, tidemaquina said:

Same issue for me, Wifi last 1 or 2 days without problems. Once i reboot it, problems gone, its like night and day. I was just thinking on buying a AC adapter with Timer so it turns power off once a day. Actually one simple thing you should have in the software is a schedule reboot option. 

Using R1 with DumaOS Open Beta

i havent yet reseted after dumaos update, i will test increase lease time.

Should i factory reset before anything?

That's a good idea, I have suggested it to the team! I would always recommend doing a reset after an update to ensure no legacy issues are present from the previous firmware so do that first and then if you continue to experience issues increase the lease time.