Ping assist question

Dmaune

So I recently was messing around with my ping assist number and I set it down to 28.  Instantly my games felt much less laggy.  I was just wondering what is going on that makes that happen or is it just coincidence?  How does setting the ping low seem to help the feel of the game even though MY connection might not be that great?  

I also experimented with white listing some servers and running in strict mode but I can't say i saw any difference.  If anything it almost felt as if the connection was slightly worse while in strict.  I'm playing Destiny 2 and didn't get kicked out of any matches while in strict.  Should I run in strict if it's not kicking me?  

with the ping assist value lower than usual it helps find games that are equal or lower than the 28ms you selected. You need to know your own base ping and then add a few ms on top. I personally add 10ms on top of mine!

28 minutes ago, Dmaune said:

the thing is I know mine isn't that low.  I'm probably closer to 80 I would guess but it still seemed to make a huge difference.

Any input on the strict mode question?

I doubt your base ping is 80ms. Just do a quick speedtest on speedtest.net. It will tell your ping along with the speed up/down. Use that as your base #. Like bigdog said above add 10-20ms on top of that. Also, when you do the test make sure you are on a wired device.

37 minutes ago, Dmaune said:

Any input on the strict mode question?

Strict mode should work fine, make sure you are not using fast search! Let us know if it continues to happen but strict mode should not make you get kicked from games unless they are p2p games and the host quits mid game!

2 minutes ago, Dmaune said:

Ok I'll do that tonight.  Why did it seem to make a big difference when I lowered the ping assist to 28 even though my base ping is most likely not that low?  Before I had it set on 60.

run the speedtest 1st as you do not even know your base ping, you are just guessing it is 80ms......which is stupidly high unless you are on dial-up.

22 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

Strict mode should work fine, make sure you are not using fast search! Let us know if it continues to happen but strict mode should not make you get kicked from games unless they are p2p games and the host quits mid game!

I WASN'T getting kicked from matches which is a good thing.  I just didn't know if it was an advantage to running in strict mode.  Didn't seem to make a difference in game if I was in strict or not.  

• Netduma Staff
18 hours ago, Dmaune said:

I WASN'T getting kicked from matches which is a good thing.  I just didn't know if it was an advantage to running in strict mode.  Didn't seem to make a difference in game if I was in strict or not.  

Hi Dmaune - I play a lot of Destiny 2 and always run it with Strict Mode off. We recommend that simply because D2 has an exceptionally complex network setup. Every patch they release seems to break something on the network side or introduce new servers, and they have authentication servers in America which need to pass through your radius otherwise you'll risk getting booted from the game.

You're at no disadvantage with Strict Mode off. You could try having it turned on if you're playing Crucible but as you say, it won't make enough of a difference in D2 to risk getting disconnected!