BOOTED FROM PARTY IN HALO 5

if i join another players lobby to a game / party in halo 5 and enter into matchmaking with geo filter in spectating mode, i will get kicked before entering the match if halo servers decide to put us on one outside my radius while my teammates will go into the game short handed. how can i prevent this from happening and ensure that the filter settings will apply to everyone and not just me ? 

do they all have to have the same router as me ? 

do i have to host ? 

can anything be done to allow this or is it not possible ? 

• Administrators

Hi there - are you definitely in Spectating Mode? If you are, then the Geo-Filter will not be blocking anything. It could be an issue with NAT though.

Could you do this please:

1. Take a screenshot of your Geo-Filter page and post it here so we can take a look at your settings
  2. Run a console network test. What is your NAT type?

If you are in Filtering Mode - for Halo 5 it won't allow you to block for the entire party (unless you all own DumaOS powered routers). Instead, I would recommend you make yourself the party leader and have it in Spectating Mode. Then when you get a high ping server outside your range, you can exit back to the lobby.

that's unfortunate that i can't use it while playing with others unless they have the same router :(

the issue with the manually backing out while in spectating mode is that once you find a server it's too late and it won't allow you to back out...not to mention that i have no clue how to tell what server it's trying to connect me to and whether or not that's outside my search radius... lol 

• Administrators

That makes more sense then, for Halo it will try to load in a game and then if your Geo-Filter blocks it, then it will kick you back. 

It used to be the case that as long as you were the party leader it would apply to others as well but they've changed it unfortunately which is a terrible idea on their side. You would just need to look on the Geo-Filter Map, you'll be able to see it's location and can then ping it to see what the game is like. You could dashboard the game if it doesn't take too long to boot up, does Halo have loss stats/does it matter if you quit when in the game?

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

That makes more sense then, for Halo it will try to load in a game and then if your Geo-Filter blocks it, then it will kick you back. 

It used to be the case that as long as you were the party leader it would apply to others as well but they've changed it unfortunately which is a terrible idea on their side. You would just need to look on the Geo-Filter Map, you'll be able to see it's location and can then ping it to see what the game is like. You could dashboard the game if it doesn't take too long to boot up, does Halo have loss stats/does it matter if you quit when in the game?

Hey Fraser, You are very correct that they have changed something with H5. For some odd reason this change seemed to have happened at about the same time they moved the MCC from p2p to the same dedicated servers as H5. Not sure if at that time they did something to H5 then but I thought it was a very strange coincidence. Also one can not quit when in game.. If one dashboards or just plain out quits its banhammer time! They have that set very very strict.. Unfortunately about the time one can even ping a server or have a chance to ping the server one gets its already to late. If one does quit or dashboard twice and then on the third try gets into a game after that game you will be banned. Another big change also is that they no longer have one authenticating server. Those now seem to rotate and every location can become a authenticating server. Which means it does no good to block them or have them outside of your radius. Something tells me they did this because of Netduma and wants it to be fair for everyone.. To be fair that last part may seem to be a bit of a stretch but again I find it very strange this has taken place and wouldn't know the reason behind it other then to make it fair for everyone. It just seems strange that the more 343 messes with there networking the less and less Duma OS is effective.. Currently there is nothing in the Geo filter that works for me.. All I can do is watch and see my pings which even at times those don't even work when on Auto ping.. Most of the time they quit working all together. Im also currently using the XR500. But again this router is extremely buggy for me. Have had a lot of very strange issues with it. Hoping the next firmware update will correct these many strange issues.. Netgear hasn't been any help.. And I refuse to pay for support on a router that is just a few months old specially when it was there firmware upgrade that has caused my issues.. 

• Netduma Staff

I doubt it's anything to do with us - gaming companies just want to make their net-code better but also keep costs down. Over time, they'll turn off servers they don't need to be paying for and make all kinds of changes to that effect. Generally speaking, games do become harder to connect to over time but it's balanced out by the lack of players. Definitely seems like something has changed though.

Ourselves and Netgear are always investigating bugs and fixing them ready for the next firmware, so hopefully some of these issues will be fixed in the next one!

14 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

I doubt it's anything to do with us - gaming companies just want to make their net-code better but also keep costs down. Over time, they'll turn off servers they don't need to be paying for and make all kinds of changes to that effect. Generally speaking, games do become harder to connect to over time but it's balanced out by the lack of players. Definitely seems like something has changed though.

Ourselves and Netgear are always investigating bugs and fixing them ready for the next firmware, so hopefully some of these issues will be fixed in the next one!

I think your correct Jack. I know the population likely has caused this so I think one just gets shifted around to find a game. I am very curious and excited for the next new firmware for the XR500. I cant wait for that! :)