How to get the best ping possible?

wolfeman

Hello,

I was wondering what the optimal DumaOS setting are for BO4?

Should I open certain ports in the device priority section of QoS or in the port forward tab under network settings? 

I have a 21ish ping when I connect my computer directly to my isp lan, but in game it says my ping is anywhere from 90-130 all the time. 

I followed the general optimal set up for OS, I keep bufferbloat at 70% etc.

Any and all advice will be great.

Thank you

I do understand that there is not much you can do when it comes to improving ping, as its all proximity based from what I know. However, I would like to be optimizing the QoS and any other settings in order to get the best/fastest connection possible. As i'm sure everyone else here is trying to do. haha :)

• Netduma Staff
5 minutes ago, wolfeman said:

I do understand that there is not much you can do when it comes to improving ping, as its all proximity based from what I know. However, I would like to be optimizing the QoS and any other settings in order to get the best/fastest connection possible. As i'm sure everyone else here is trying to do. haha :)

Hi Wolfeman - no worries, there are definitely things you can do to improve your ping. You're right in saying ping is proximity based - the Geo-Filter will soon function much better in Black Ops 4 with the introduction of Ping Assist.

Just to put your connection in context, 21ms is a fantastic ping. You couldn't actually hope for much better from a line connection standpoint - that seems great. What I'd recommend is using Pingplotter to measure the stability of your line, as ping spikes could be causing your gameplay to suffer.

Anti-Bufferbloat at 70% should work wonders on reducing ping caused by local devices. I'd recommend keeping that setting, and resetting Bandwidth Allocation. Leave Traffic Prioritisation with 'All Devices' ticked.

Let us know the results of a Pingplotter test and we'll go from there!

On 11/5/2018 at 6:10 PM, Netduma Jack said:

Hi Wolfeman - no worries, there are definitely things you can do to improve your ping. You're right in saying ping is proximity based - the Geo-Filter will soon function much better in Black Ops 4 with the introduction of Ping Assist.

Just to put your connection in context, 21ms is a fantastic ping. You couldn't actually hope for much better from a line connection standpoint - that seems great. What I'd recommend is using Pingplotter to measure the stability of your line, as ping spikes could be causing your gameplay to suffer.

Anti-Bufferbloat at 70% should work wonders on reducing ping caused by local devices. I'd recommend keeping that setting, and resetting Bandwidth Allocation. Leave Traffic Prioritisation with 'All Devices' ticked.

Hi, i'm trying to improve my ping too and i will like to receive some support if possible.

I have a Nighthawk XR500 in the last version and i'm connecting from Spain with a PS4Pro with optical fiber of 600/600 Mbps.

I've been reading  your answer to @Wolfeman and I made my Pingplotter test, these are the results:

R5iqSOK.png

I've my antibufferbloat configured in High Priority Traffic Detected mode at 70% upload/download. Is that ok?

What is the "Ping Assist" that you mentioned before?

Thank you in advance.

43 minutes ago, tjuanma said:

Hi, i'm trying to improve my ping too and i will like to receive some support if possible.

I have a Nighthawk XR500 in the last version and i'm connecting from Spain with a PS4Pro with optical fiber of 600/600 Mbps.

I've been reading  your answer to @Wolfeman and I made my Pingplotter test, these are the results:

5Ywknmt.png

You've been talking about "Anti-Bufferbloat", what's that? Is an option on DumaOS?

Thank you in advance.

Anti-Bufferbloat is QOS in the DumaOS software.

Basically Anti-Bufferbloat is there too help causing congestion on your network. Generally a setting of 70% Download and 70% upload will work but you have to do some testing yourself to get the correct figures for yourself.

Ping Assist is currently in a closed Beta for DumaOS at present but basically ping assist you can set a value in Milliseconds and the router will look for any hosts that fall below that value you have set regardless of distance.

causing congestion on your network.

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, tjuanma said:

You've been talking about "Anti-Bufferbloat", what's that? Is an option on DumaOS?

Thank you in advance.

Hi, welcome to the forum! The advice above is great - you can find Anti-Bufferbloat in the QoS section.

Your Pingplotter results are fantastic. You couldn't hope for a more stable line. Your 'base ping' is quite high, but that's because your target URL is in America (twitter.com). Try pinging a local news site if you want a more accurate reading of your base ping.

Ping Assist is coming soon, and is a way to filter your game by how good the ping is (rather than just how far away the server is). It's an awesome feature, so we hope you enjoy it when it's out!

39 minutes ago, Dialatech said:

Anti-Bufferbloat is QOS in the DumaOS software.

Basically Anti-Bufferbloat is there too help causing congestion on your network. Generally a setting of 70% Download and 70% upload will work but you have to do some testing yourself to get the correct figures for yourself.

Ping Assist is currently in a closed Beta for DumaOS at present but basically ping assist you can set a value in Milliseconds and the router will look for any hosts that fall below that value you have set regardless of distance.

causing congestion on your network.

Thank you for the explanation ;)

9 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Hi, welcome to the forum! The advice above is great - you can find Anti-Bufferbloat in the QoS section.

Your Pingplotter results are fantastic. You couldn't hope for a more stable line. Your 'base ping' is quite high, but that's because your target URL is in America (twitter.com). Try pinging a local news site if you want a more accurate reading of your base ping.

Ping Assist is coming soon, and is a way to filter your game by how good the ping is (rather than just how far away the server is). It's an awesome feature, so we hope you enjoy it when it's out!

Nice, finded the Anti-Bufferbloat in QoS menu.

Sorry but i've bought mi Nighthawk yesterday , and i'm trying to explore,discover and configure everything ;)

Ping assist sound great!!!

I've make a pingblooter to www.elpais.es as you reccommended and the ping is fluctuating between 10 to 16ms. Seems good and stable.

It's in your plans to implement a Wake on Lan option? Is a very basic feature that I really miss :D

I've been looking for an option to change de time of the router because is saying that is 1 hour less that what real it is in Spain...that's a mess :S

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:10 PM, Netduma Jack said:

Jack, I have a question..if the only thing that's set to my duma besides my ps4 is my PC which is most used for surfing the web a little while playing games and using the interface of duma while playing...and my wifi is turned off (we used my sons fiber connection in his room for wifi since I have a lower high speed connection then him) does it matter that I set my anti bufferbloat to 70 on each? I know I should play around with it but if theres no a lot of local devices connected...do you think 70% is still a good margin?

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, David824 said:

Jack, I have a question..if the only thing that's set to my duma besides my ps4 is my PC which is most used for surfing the web a little while playing games and using the interface of duma while playing...and my wifi is turned off (we used my sons fiber connection in his room for wifi since I have a lower high speed connection then him) does it matter that I set my anti bufferbloat to 70 on each? I know I should play around with it but if theres no a lot of local devices connected...do you think 70% is still a good margin?

It sounds like you might have a sub-optimal setup there. You should ideally have all devices connected to the Nighthawk... If you have other devices connected over WiFi to your modem or other devices, those devices can't be detected by the Nighthawk. That means the Nighthawk can't prioritise gaming traffic - effectively QoS won't work.

Think of it this way - how can it prioritise traffic if it can't see half the devices on your network? How can you share bandwidth between devices when it doesn't know how many devices there are, or how much bandwidth they are using?

Your setup should be Modem > Nighthawk > All Devices. If you have a second router, your setup should be Modem > Nighthawk > Second Router > All Devices. In either of these setups, 70% is a good margin. I hope this helps!

Thats just it...all I have really connected to my router (I actually have the R1 with the new OS on it) is my pc which is detected through the R1 but that's it besides my ps4. My son as fiber coming in from another company so everything he does isn't even on my internet line so we just use his wifi and I have my R1 wifi turned off. Thats why I was asking should I still be setting up my R1 with the 70/70 if all that's connected to my router is my ps4 and my pc that I barely use.

my setup is modem>R1>ps4 & PC

• Netduma Staff
17 hours ago, David824 said:

Thats just it...all I have really connected to my router (I actually have the R1 with the new OS on it) is my pc which is detected through the R1 but that's it besides my ps4. My son as fiber coming in from another company so everything he does isn't even on my internet line so we just use his wifi and I have my R1 wifi turned off. Thats why I was asking should I still be setting up my R1 with the 70/70 if all that's connected to my router is my ps4 and my pc that I barely use.

my setup is modem>R1>ps4 & PC

Ah fair enough David - well think of it like this; Anti-Bufferbloat is designed to eliminate congestion caused by heavy downloading, streaming or other intensive actions. If you aren't conducting any of these actions on either your PS4 or your PC, you could probably just set it to 100/100 to get higher speeds on those two devices.

If you feel like having high speeds on those two devices doesn't matter (it wouldn't matter if you only use them for gaming) then I'd recommend setting it to 70/70 just to be on the safe side.

In summary: with only two devices connected, if you aren't downloading something massive, you won't feel much difference no matter what Anti-Bufferbloat setting you use. 70/70 is safer for gaming though just in case!

1 hour ago, Netduma Jack said:

Ah fair enough David - well think of it like this; Anti-Bufferbloat is designed to eliminate congestion caused by heavy downloading, streaming or other intensive actions. If you aren't conducting any of these actions on either your PS4 or your PC, you could probably just set it to 100/100 to get higher speeds on those two devices.

If you feel like having high speeds on those two devices doesn't matter (it wouldn't matter if you only use them for gaming) then I'd recommend setting it to 70/70 just to be on the safe side.

In summary: with only two devices connected, if you aren't downloading something massive, you won't feel much difference no matter what Anti-Bufferbloat setting you use. 70/70 is safer for gaming though just in case!

I don't use to make massive downloads or uploads even if my network is quite bigger than David's one. In addition my connection is 600/600 so i don't think that i can have big problems of QoS.

Just a question, with my new XR500 i've putted my old asus in AP mode and disabed his DHCP to make it work everything against my XR500. Should I put the Asus IP in the XR500 DMZ or is not necessary?

The asus is used to connect some Wireless devices (iMac,3smartphones and a tablet) and a PC and another PS4 Pro by eth.

It's OK? Any other config that i should consider?

Thanks!

• Netduma Staff

If you have an open NAT then it might not be necessary to use DMZ. I think you might need to in this instance since you'll want the XR500 handling your ports, but I could be wrong. Your configuration seems fine to me :D

11 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

If you have an open NAT then it might not be necessary to use DMZ. I think you might need to in this instance since you'll want the XR500 handling your ports, but I could be wrong. Your configuration seems fine to me :D

Thanks for all the replies....but i'm still curious.

I've tryed to connect from  PC1 (IP X.X.X.10) to PC2 (X.X.X.50) by remote desktop.

If i try the RDP with IP it doesn't work the connection but if i do it by DDNS (XXXX.mynetgear.com) it works (obviously i've made the port forwarding on PC2 and internal-external ports 3389-3389).

Is very strange that works connecting thru DDNS and no with IP (the PC2 IP is dynamic). Ideas? Any "LAN" firewall to check? This never happened with asus router.

There is a way to select a specific device and don't allow to have more than 3/3mb speed? I've tryed in QoS but didn't worked in a iPhone.

In addition, in Device Manager there is a way to make recognise the second router on the map and wich devices are connectes directly to that one separately from devices that are connected to my Nighthawk?

Thanks again for all your effort ;)