The XR500 is a router, not a modem/router. You will need a modem in order to establish a link between your router and the phone network. Then you insert your pppoe credentials and connect.

I have the R1, XR500 and XR700. You can use pppoe on all of them.

You will receive your full speeds.

3 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

The XR500 is a router, not a modem/router. You will need a modem in order to establish a link between your router and the phone network. Then you insert your pppoe credentials and connect.

I have the R1, XR500 and XR700. You can use pppoe on all of them.

You will receive your full speeds.

I have an R1 and no modem at the moment connected direct to my 400mbps fibre ONT... but was told (on here by admin) the R1 is not optimised for PPPOE and my ethernet speeds are poor... so what's my options?

I cannot game ATM because my speeds are so terrible and if I put my ISP supplied router online before the R1 I cannot get OPEN NAT...

4 minutes ago, F1RE-BUG said:

I have an R1 and no modem at the moment connected direct to my 400mbps fibre ONT... but was told (on here by admin) the R1 is not optimised for PPPOE and my ethernet speeds are poor... so what's my options?

I cannot game ATM because my speeds are so terrible and if I put my ISP supplied router online before the R1 I cannot get OPEN NAT...

pppoe will work on R1 but it is not optimised for it. You can put your isp router in front of the R1 but you will have to disable upnp on the isp router (that will give you nat issues if you do not. Also in your isp router theres a section called "DMZ" you can input the ip address of the R1 your isp router assignes it and that will fully open the ports for the R1 thus giving you open nat for your console!

7 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

pppoe will work on R1 but it is not optimised for it. You can put your isp router in front of the R1 but you will have to disable upnp on the isp router (that will give you nat issues if you do not. Also in your isp router theres a section called "DMZ" you can input the ip address of the R1 your isp router assignes it and that will fully open the ports for the R1 thus giving you open nat for your console!

Done that ....

Still moderate NAT...

• 1 year later...

Hi to all!

i want to connect my xr500 to the modem of my ISP via pppoe. I have some questions... which port I must use on the ISP modem? WAN or LAN ports? I must do some special settings like disable dhcp? Can any one please give some advise to do that? 

It really depends on what sort of connection and modem.

Like I use fiber and just plug it into the ONT, enter PPPoE + VLAN details in the XR500 and it works. But if you have a modem that handles PPPoE for you you might be able to just leave it on DHCP. More  info is needed.

Thank you for your reply! I have one modem/router from my ISP. My connection is ftt 100/10. My ISP modem/router use PPPoE. So can I connect the xr500 to the WAN port on my ISP modem, set username and password from ISP on the xr500 and select PPPoE and it will work? Also I have to set any IP address on xr500 or it will take automatically from the ISP?

Depends on.

If your modem and ISP router are separate then you should be able to plug your XR500 into the modem like that and take out the ISP router. You then enter your PPPoE details in the XR500 and it should work. A lot of times you also need to add a VLAN tag but this is specific to the ISP (sometimes their modem/ONT handles this, sometimes the router, or some don't use it) When you use the words modem and you have a 100/10 connection I'd venture to say its a FTTC connection where you connect to the fiber cabinet by DSL. These often don't use VLAN tagging so just PPPoE details is enough. You might have to use the MAC adress cloning function.

If it's a integrated modem/router you probably have to connect to a LAN port and just use DMZ with your XR500.

It is integrated modem/router. I want to connect with pppoe pass through to avoid the double nat. Thank you for your advice my friend! And yes you are correct it is FTTC connection. 

Then in that case ask your provider if they can set it to bridge mode.

You just plug the XR500 in the LAN1 port on the modem/router. You need to ask your ISP but most times in bridge you will need to use PPPoE details in your XR500.

If they can't do bridge mode or you want it to handle PPPoE at the modem/router, put it in DMZ.

I was having speed issues with mine as bridge. I plugged the XR500 straight into the fibre converter box (ISP provided) and in XR500 initial setup detected PPPOE and simply set ISP user name and password and was good to go and recieved my full 420mbps. No need for extra modem.

I will contact with my ISP to check what I can do. As I know the bridge mode doesn’t work so good and instead of that they use pppoe pass through. Also I know that the modem/router from my ISP it’s locked... Yesterdy I found one guy and he told me to do this... to connect the xr500 via pppoe pass through and I will not have double nat and better function of the QoS. But I forgot to ask him which port I must use... WAN or LAN. I imagine that is better to use the WAN because from this port I overtake completely the router function from my ISP and use it only as modem and for the VoIP. 

@F1RE-BUG

No but then you have a FTTH connection.

FTTH/FTTP = Fiber To The Home / Fiber To The Premises. Here you have a fiberoptic cable entering your house and that plugs either in a ONT or ISP supplied router/ONT. The ONT is basicly just a signal conversion however often they can also do other stuff like QoS etc. In this case you can plug your XR500 straight into the ONT. Or like I have, I have my fiber connector straight into the SFP+ module on a switch, connected with s SC module. This connection is often symmetrical ie 100/100, 500/500 etc. It's easily possible because RX and TX on a fiber line have different frequencies. If you have 200/200 that's simply a limit set by your provider but the line can easily handle 1000/1000 and upwards in most cases.

FTTC = Fiber To The Cabinet. In this case you have a fiber connection to a central point in your neighborhood and you use a xDSL line to connect to the fiber point. So in this case you do need a modem. Because of limits in the xDSL technology you often have a asymmetrical line because DSL is limited in how much data it can transmit & recieve by the amount of channels it uses. This is also why you often see that xDSL providers have lower speed ratings in their outer service regions, because of signal noise interference they can't guarantee a certain speed.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Some very good advice here, you would need to plug the XR router into one of the LAN ports on your modem/router.

Thank you Fraser for your advice! I did and it work!! I set on my xr500 pppoe connection, I gave the username and the password from ISP and everything works ok!! I believe now that it work better that before...

Hi again!!

i have 2 questions:

1. Since I did the pppoe connection I noticed that MTU value changed from 1500 to 1492. I believe changed because it take it automatically from ISP. Correct? I have to change also this value to my PS4?

2. It makes sense to add a reservation IP for my PS4?

You can leave MTU on auto in your PS4. MTU works by auto discovery, if one link between you or the server is below 1500 then this will get corrected automaticly.

I would make a IP reservation for your PS4 if you need a fixed IP for something, like port forwarding etc. I did that anyway even though I don't use port forwarding at the moment.