XR700 Thoughts and Questions

Update on my issues:

- Received my replacement XR700

- Zero issues on this one after updating and Factory Resetting. Speed test during setup worked. No funny gui issues or slow loading. No lan or wifi disconnections.

- I still have not seen the internal fan run, though this router isn't as hot as my first one.

- The only odd thing I can see is my logs are filling up with this:

tempsnip.png.cab3886349dc107a5588ae76cd69f563.png

- I ran Pingplotter over night on it, pinging the router from a pc connected to it. I haven't found the right QoS settings for my network yet, but this is with 1000mb bandwidth, sliders at 70%, and minimal traffic like app updating starting around 930pm (as you can see, No Packet Loss):

Capture.thumb.JPG.6cb4a07f62fb2c11cd5391d6a905cd7e.JPG

- I will be contacting Netgear next week and say this replacement is working perfectly so far. 

Looking forward to Milestone 1.3!

• Administrators

Thanks for the update. Great to hear things are improved. Ignore those logs - they're just for developers and a future firmware will clear that particular log from appearing so frequently.

Is the temperature better now?

Just now, Netduma Admin said:

Thanks for the update. Great to hear things are improved. Ignore those logs - they're just for developers and a future firmware will clear that particular log from appearing so frequently.

Is the temperature better now?

Okay. Good to know. 

Yes, temps are fine. Hopefully Netgear will get back to me on when the internal fan will turn on and you guys could add the temp. indications in a future firmware so we can monitor them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a day off to troubleshoot this router some more with Level 2 Netgear Support. 

First they had me install the newest firmware, 1.0.1.2. Then I had to factory reset the router. 

Then they had me go to the Debug Page, enable the LAN/WAN packet capture, then Start Capture.

I ran like that for almost two days while running Ping Plotter to Verizon.com which showed a whole bunch of packet loss on a wired connection. I wasn't able to see if my wan connection dropped because the logs filled up with non-important stuff and just kept getting cleared out. 

I saved the debug log and sent it to them along with the Ping Plotter .pp2 file for their review. 

This is what ping plotter captured on my pc wired to the XR700 behind my Verizon Fios G1100:

1617816336_XR700with1.0.1.2firmwarePacketLoss.thumb.JPG.000a3e177cc2fe48d01e33968085a0e9.JPG

After they received my logs, they used TeamViewer to copy down my network diagnostics, both wireless and wired, from my Macbook Pro.

Then they had me change the XR700 MTU to 1400 from the default of 1500 which i've been using forever with broadband internet. 

They want me to see if changing the MTU stops the disconnections and packet loss from happening.

All of this info is being sent up to their next level of support. 

Unfortunately, my 30 day return period is approaching, so I must return it. I can't use a router with this many problems even if Netgear is willing to work with me on troubleshooting it. 
I don't have the time to be their beta tester. 

I'll update this thread if Netgear responds with anything of value. 

XR700 with 1.0.1.2 firmware verizon.com.pp2

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, FQs19 said:

Finally got a day off to troubleshoot this router some more with Level 2 Netgear Support. 

First they had me install the newest firmware, 1.0.1.2. Then I had to factory reset the router. 

Then they had me go to the Debug Page, enable the LAN/WAN packet capture, then Start Capture.

I ran like that for almost two days while running Ping Plotter to Verizon.com which showed a whole bunch of packet loss on a wired connection. I wasn't able to see if my wan connection dropped because the logs filled up with non-important stuff and just kept getting cleared out. 

I saved the debug log and sent it to them along with the Ping Plotter .pp2 file for their review. 

This is what ping plotter captured on my pc wired to the XR700 behind my Verizon Fios G1100:

1617816336_XR700with1.0.1.2firmwarePacketLoss.thumb.JPG.000a3e177cc2fe48d01e33968085a0e9.JPG

After they received my logs, they used TeamViewer to copy down my network diagnostics, both wireless and wired, from my Macbook Pro.

Then they had me change the XR700 MTU to 1400 from the default of 1500 which i've been using forever with broadband internet. 

They want me to see if changing the MTU stops the disconnections and packet loss from happening.

All of this info is being sent up to their next level of support. 

Unfortunately, my 30 day return period is approaching, so I must return it. I can't use a router with this many problems even if Netgear is willing to work with me on troubleshooting it. 
I don't have the time to be their beta tester. 

I'll update this thread if Netgear responds with anything of value. 

XR700 with 1.0.1.2 firmware verizon.com.pp2

Thanks for the update. I'd recommend letting NETGEAR know about the return limit approaching. They might be able to arrange something for you.

7 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Thanks for the update. I'd recommend letting NETGEAR know about the return limit approaching. They might be able to arrange something for you.

They know about the return window. They also know my current xr700 is a replacement for the first one which had the same issues. 

Working 12hr shifts for 10 days in a row isn't helping our communication. Which is why the return window is closing before they can get a clear picture of what's happening. 

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, FQs19 said:

They know about the return window. They also know my current xr700 is a replacement for the first one which had the same issues. 

Working 12hr shifts for 10 days in a row isn't helping our communication. Which is why the return window is closing before they can get a clear picture of what's happening. 

Ok, thanks for the update. 

Netgear finally sent me a request to sign up for a Beta they have for the XR700.

They say it fixes some of my issues. Not sure what 'issues' they think they've fixed. 

Unfortunately, My 30 day return is up tomorrow and I can not allow myself to Beta test a $500 router, so I'm returning the router without trying their beta. 

I've asked them to clarify what the beta supposedly fixes, but if you guys could get in touch with Netgear and post something about what they think the problem was and how they fixed it, I would purchase the XR700 in the future. 

I am in agreement with a bunch of users who think Netduma should release their DumaOS on another Mikrotik product or even design your own router. 

Hopefully one that incorporates all the specs and hardware of a 2018/19 router would/should.  

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
9 minutes ago, Muyfa666 said:

Hey fellas. I was looking to get the XR700, but the internal fan turned me off. Does it run alot and does it run loud?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

In my experience it will only turn on when there is VERY heavy usage so it's unlikely that for every day usage that it will be on. I also don't think it's very loud. You are also able to edit the fan speed via a special page to slow it down if you did find it to be too loud which is very unlikely anyway

44 minutes ago, Muyfa666 said:

Hey fellas. I was looking to get the XR700, but the internal fan turned me off. Does it run alot and does it run loud?

In the month that I had the XR700, the internal fan never ran. 

You can also open http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm and adjust when the fan will turn on.

1 minute ago, Muyfa666 said:

Thanks for the fast responses and thanks for the warm welcome. 🙂 I just got the XR500 and are very happy with it. No complaints at all really. What would be the real life benefits in upgrading to XR700? Money is not really an issue - just want the best possible consumer grade network.

More powerful CPU, Plex Server, and SFP+ port. 

24 minutes ago, Muyfa666 said:

Except for more powerful CPU, I don't use Plex and have no idea what SFP+ port is. Guess XR500 will do. Does XR700 possibly have longer range etc?

•  

I believe it has the same wifi chip. So no.  

• Netduma Staff
8 hours ago, Muyfa666 said:

Thanks alot. Then I see no reason not to keep the XR500. 🙂

I'm glad you're having a good time with your XR500 :) welcome to the forum!