Nighthawk S8000 switch and XR700 DumaOS Geo filtering does not work.

BIG__DOG

Hi y'all.

I have the S8000 switch and have had it for a month or so unused until I got some ALONE time. I have EVERYTHING running through this switch, including 2 routers as access points as the XR700's wifi is disabled.

My problem is that the XB1 and the PS4 do not show up lobbies/servers on the map at all. Only when I connect the console directly to the router does geo filtering work. Is there something I am missing or is this a caveat for using a managed switch?

I have the S8000 as well.  My main router (XR700) is connected by way of aggregated ports to it and with it set up in gaming mode. My X1X is connected to the gaming port. I have my R1 connected to it with all of my other gaming devices connected the R1. All of my non gaming WiFi devices connect to the XR700. My NAS is also connected to the S8000 by way of the streaming port.

And I’m able to see lobbies and servers. I will try to get all the servers that I am able to see for Fraser in his other post this weekend. Just curious  you using dsl  or cable?  I think our setups have some similarities. 

4 hours ago, PharmDawgg said:

I have the S8000 as well.  My main router (XR700) is connected by way of aggregated ports to it and with it set up in gaming mode. My X1X is connected to the gaming port. I have my R1 connected to it with all of my other gaming devices connected the R1. All of my non gaming WiFi devices connect to the XR700. My NAS is also connected to the S8000 by way of the streaming port.

And I’m able to see lobbies and servers. I will try to get all the servers that I am able to see for Fraser in his other post this weekend. Just curious  you using dsl  or cable?  I think our setups have some similarities. 

I am using DSL. I have my XB1 in port 1 gaming and PS4 in port 2. Both are set to critical also the uplink port is set to critical. The rest of the lan ports are not assigned in a certain device order but they are all set to low. I have 2 routers in AP mode connected to the switch and wifi disabled on the XR700. DHCP is handled by XR700. I dont use link aggrigation because I only get 80mbps and also my NAS has 1 lan port.

Although this is a managed switch it still passes through to the XR700 so it boggles my mind why theres no geo filter action going on at all. Even the qos on the XR700 does not work as the switch over-rides it somehow. I can set the qos on the XR700 to 1% both and still get full speeds.

2018-10-20.png

8 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

Oh, I forgot to say, if I connect my XB1 directly into the XR700 with the switch attached I still get no geo filtering.

This makes me think it is an issue with the XR700?  Latest firmware? I’m curious.

I ended up moving my Plex function to the Sunology NAS to save on CPU cycles. 

1 minute ago, PharmDawgg said:

This makes me think it is an issue with the XR700?  Latest firmware? I’m curious.

I ended up moving my Plex function to the Sunology NAS to save on CPU cycles. 

My synology NAS (218play) does not support plex yet. I could use my nvidia shield TV box as a plex server. I am also considering factory resetting the XR700 to see if it fixes my switch and geo filtering issue. I will be doing that in about an hour when they have gone out for the afternoon.

• 11 months later...

It's an overpriced piece of gear in a fancy case if you ask me. Most people are better off buying a regular 1Gbit managed switch as it will perform the same functions. I don't really buy into the part where it says lower latency switching for gaming and even if it did 0.5ms isn't going to matter. For XR700 owners you'd be better off buying the SX10 and utilizing the 10G SFP connections. Or just buy another switch and using the 10G connection. But for most users this is probably overkill.

As for QoS, I feel that if you set the uplink port to critical priority, it won't do anything as it will simply prioritize all your traffic coming in over the uplink port. The only thing you can realistically QoS is the upload from individual devices. Actually I think Netgear also states this in the documentation, QoS is primarily there for upload and QoS on incoming traffic is best left to your provider, or in case of a router like R1 / XR, simply leave it to your router.

I would only recommend this device if you are stuck with a ISP router or a common connection and want QoS somehow but even that can probably be done on a regular managed switch. Also this method is very rough since wifi falls outside of your QoS if you attach one to a router that doesn't support QoS.

It makes sense in the setup that PharmDawgg is running since he's connecting his NAS to it and using aggregation to the XR700 frees up a bunch of bandwith. If you connect your non gaming stuff directly to the XR700 and access the NAS it will hog the bandwith between the switch and the router when accessing the NAS interfering with your gaming traffic. I would actually connect the NAS straight to the router instead in that case, same with the X1X. If that is possible due to placement offcourse.