Extremely slow speeds on XR500

So, Netduma. I did what you guys told me. I reached out to Netgear's support since you said it was a hardware problem, and in no way could be DumaOS' fault. They couldn't find a fix to my slow speeds problem. So they sent me a new replacement XR500, and I sent the old one back. I still am receiving barely 200 Mbps download, while my upload is fine. I see the speeds jump up to where they should be, and then they just shoot right back down. I'm supposed to be getting 500 Mbps down, and 50 Mbps up. I have tried literally everything I could think of to fix this. Disabling QoS entirely, changing my mac address, disabling WiFi features, factory resetting from the UI, factory resetting from the button on the back of the device, switching to an old firmware, reverting back to a new firmware. Any combination you can think of, I've tried. I've read other forums of people with a similar problem to me. Which leads me to believe that this can't just be an isolated incident. I've have been trying everything I could for weeks now. I am at a loss on what to do from here. I need help.

• Administrators

There are many XR500's out there able to achieve higher than that so it couldn't be a software issue. There is most likely something blocking this, either ethernet cables don't support that speed. Router upstream blocking it etc. If QoS is disabled it doesn't interact with those packets anymore. 

Yes, I have gotten my speeds fine before, and it worked for a day when I got the replacement. But now I'm getting barely 200 Mbps download. My ethernet cables are fine. They are new cat7 cables, and all devices and router are showing ports running at gigabit speeds, 1000 Mbps. Can I have a solution here, either another teamviewer support session so you guys can take a look, since I have already gone through netgears support like you told me to weeks ago. Because I've disabled Qos, I don't understand what you mean by router upstream blocking.

• Administrators

As I said I don't see what it could possibly be if QoS is disabled so a TeamViewer would be a waste of both our time. The router that the XR500 is connected to, what is it, how is it set up? Set the XR500 MAC address as whatever router you had previously MAC address.

Guest Killhippie
9 hours ago, Phyter said:

It's not connected to a router. It's connected directly to my Netgear CM1000 modem.

Might be more an issue with the modem possibly? If you got the speeds briefly then you should still be able to get them all the time. Did you power the modem down before connecting the XR500?  Also is it running latest firmware, this is down to your ISP is there a way to check in the modems GUI (if it has one I don't know much about the CM1000?

It looks like I have a similar problem for several days. After connecting my laptop directly to the Internet, I have the right speed. After connecting the laptop to the router I have to download and send about 1/4 smaller. I've tried everything, including the previous version of the firmware. All the time the same speed problem.

I just noticed that earlier (the same cable) WAN was 100M / FULL and now 100M / HALF.

image.thumb.png.4c23912a7ef4210814de1e209d51d37b.png

• Administrators

Do either of you have IPv6 enabled on your router? Unlikely this is the problem, but you never know.

Have you tried swapping cables around?

And @Phyter - what speeds do you get direct to the modem?

• Administrators

That's coming from the WAN side, can you double check the router upstream to make sure it's not restricting it in anyway please. Also if you have another router you can test with connecting to the hub and see if you get the same issue

@Netduma Admin I just received my XR500 today and I'm have the same problem.  Plugging modem directly into PC I get 157mb down and 11mb up.  Going through XR500, I'm getting 71mb down and 1.83 up.  I do have a netgear R7000 downstream set in AP mode.  My knowledge is very limited as far as networking goes so if there is anything I should please try to talk in "networking for dummies" lingo......lol.

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, shantzonpoint said:

@Netduma Admin I just received my XR500 today and I'm have the same problem.  Plugging modem directly into PC I get 157mb down and 11mb up.  Going through XR500, I'm getting 71mb down and 1.83 up.  I do have a netgear R7000 downstream set in AP mode.  My knowledge is very limited as far as networking goes so if there is anything I should please try to talk in "networking for dummies" lingo......lol.

Have you set up QoS with 157 & 11 in Anti-Bufferbloat options?

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you set up QoS with 157 & 11 in Anti-Bufferbloat options?

yeah they are set up to that.  Whats weird is in the initial set up, it detected my normal internet speeds but when I run a speed test (speedtest.net) it shows much lower speeds than normal after install.  So I'm guessing it's something I don't have set up right.  I'm so ignorant when it comes to networking I really don't even know where to begin.

• Netduma Staff
11 hours ago, shantzonpoint said:

yeah they are set up to that.  Whats weird is in the initial set up, it detected my normal internet speeds but when I run a speed test (speedtest.net) it shows much lower speeds than normal after install.  So I'm guessing it's something I don't have set up right.  I'm so ignorant when it comes to networking I really don't even know where to begin.

Make sure Anti-Bufferbloat is set to 'always' and at 100/100. Then make sure Bandwidth Allocation is reset, and the device you're running speedtests on isn't added on Traffic Prioritization. Also make sure your Ethernet cables are up to scratch - they need to be CAT-5e or over to reach those speeds.

On a wired PC, are you receiving your full speeds then?

10 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Make sure Anti-Bufferbloat is set to 'always' and at 100/100. Then make sure Bandwidth Allocation is reset, and the device you're running speedtests on isn't added on Traffic Prioritization. Also make sure your Ethernet cables are up to scratch - they need to be CAT-5e or over to reach those speeds.

On a wired PC, are you receiving your full speeds then?

Sorry for delayed response (was at work).  Attached is a pic of the original test the Netduma did to ISP upon initial installation and the second was the test I performed a few minutes ago.  As you can see the numbers have improved.   All my cables are manufactured CAT-5e cables (factory ends) except one.  That one goes to my R7000 router about 40' away.   It's a CAT-5e as well that I put the ends on.  The cables that go from Modem to XR-500 and from XR-500 to PC are manufactured cables (heavy duty buggers too).

Netduma reading during initial setup

buffer.JPG

With Router

Today's test.JPG

Bypassing Router

without router.JPG

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you have PPPoE?

Set the XR500 Mac address to the MAC address of your previous router.

Were both those tests to the exact same speed test server?

I currently have IPv6 disabled.  Should it be set to something different?

I changed the MAC address (original R1 router MAC address) but it wouldn't connect to internet after.  So I switched it back to default.

Yes both tests were done to the same server 12 minutes of each other.

Today's test 2.JPG

Last time, when I was having speed issues, what was advisable was for me to back up my router settings/profiles. And then do a factory reset. There were a few times when that solved the issue.

I then also back up the 'Factory Reset' settings/profile and then try to restore the old settings and see if the problem still occurs.

If it does, you can either see through all the differences in the settings between the old and new one and see what might be the culprit.
Or since the factory reset one fixes the issue, you can just start re-entering the old values back into the new factory reset profile.

The problem happened to me when I never even meddled with my router settings for months and out of nowhere, it seems to be affected. A simple factory reset sometimes fixes these issues. Who knows. It might help for you too. :)