NAT issues despite address reservation

I have two Xbox One consoles connected and have the issue of one being open NAT, the other being moderate. 

Before, I had both console IP addresses reserved and it seemed to resolve the issue. However, since (I believe) a factory reset the problem seems to have resurfaced. 

Not sure what I am missing because this used to fix the problem. 

• Administrators

It's int he advanced settings. This page from the user guide explains the steps: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1376128/Netgear-Xr500-Nighthawk.html?page=165

Let us know if you get stuck and we can help.

Update:

I removed my port forwarding option that I experimented with, removed both consoles from the IP reservation, rebooted etc and then readded them. I changed the IP to something different, rebooted the consoles and right now they are both open on the Xbox side and under COD network. I also removed the consoles from instant-on but might be a non issue now.

Question: Someone on reddit said that they have 5 consoles on one network, yes FIVE! He has them all open NAT on both console and Activision games (COD, Destiny etc). He said he changed no settings other than simply changing his Netgear NAT Filtering setting from secured to open. Apparently this is like the godfather of settings to make sure your NAT is open. All they did was switch it from Secured to Open and all their problems were fixed. Can someone provide some input on this setting because I've never heard of it.

• Administrators

Great to hear that resolved the issue!

NAT Filtering: This option determines how the router deals with inbound traffic. The Secured option provides a secured firewall to protect the PCs on LAN from attacks from the Internet, but it may cause some Internet games, point-to-point applications, or multimedia applications not to work. The Open option, on the other hand, provides a much less secured firewall, while it allows almost all Internet applications to work.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Great to hear that resolved the issue!

NAT Filtering: This option determines how the router deals with inbound traffic. The Secured option provides a secured firewall to protect the PCs on LAN from attacks from the Internet, but it may cause some Internet games, point-to-point applications, or multimedia applications not to work. The Open option, on the other hand, provides a much less secured firewall, while it allows almost all Internet applications to work.

Well two people on Reddit were praising this option up and down, saying how it was literally all they ever had to do. I was inclined to think security wise it was probably a bit more vulnerable but maybe I will give it a try if I ever encounter a problem. 

I've noticed that both Xbox consoles are using the same external IP address to communicate with the COD servers, is this a problem?

I manually changed the port for both consoles (they were both on 3074 before) so now one is using 3074 and the other console a different one. 

Not sure if them being on the same external IP is going to cause any lag or interference. 

So Nat Filtering set to Open seems to have made it much easier. Last night one console was open while other was moderate but a simple restart fixed it. 

I currently have UPNP disabled however with NAT filtering set to open, would you recommend this being enabled? 

I'm just trying to think of any additional changes I can make to ensure I don't need to reset consoles as much as possible. 

• Administrators

Generally would always recommend enabling UPNP because it may cause issue with other devices e.g. WiFi calling would probably be blocked.

But, if everything is working and you're happy, then the old mantra 'if it ain't broke' probably applies...