Google Home(s) disconnect from Wifi

When I come home from work my Google Home devices around the house would randomly disconnect. 

I've searched to see if it's Google Home related and tried all the settings they recommend here , but it's still happening. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

10 minutes ago, ricky said:

When I come home from work my Google Home devices around the house would randomly disconnect. 

I've searched to see if it's Google Home related and tried all the settings they recommend here , but it's still happening. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Have you tried giving them all static ip addresses. If they do not have 1 then dhcp leasing may force them all to get new ip addresses when the lease time expires  which would cause your issue. 

12 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

Have you tried giving them all static ip addresses. If they do not have 1 then dhcp leasing may force them all to get new ip addresses when the lease time expires  which would cause your issue. 

No I haven't tried yet, but I just went to 'Settings > LAN Setup > Address Reservation > Add device' and added all the devices that keep disconnecting. 
Is that the right way to do it? 

1 hour ago, ricky said:

No I haven't tried yet, but I just went to 'Settings > LAN Setup > Address Reservation > Add device' and added all the devices that keep disconnecting. 
Is that the right way to do it? 

yes. :) A reboot of the router is advisable to make sure the changes take effect!

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Is it just the Google Home devices disconnecting or do you notice other devices disconnecting as well? I assume you have a games console either a Xbox or PS4? If so put the Xbox in Energy Saving mode rather than Instant ON and power down the PS4 fully rather than leaving it in standby mode. Does that resolve the issue?

The two google home devices are the only two which I can notice because they require manual set-up each time to get them working again.

They control most of my smart plugs, so I can't turn lamps on or off. 

The smart plugs stay and other devices, PS4, mobile phones, laptop, smart TV etc all remain connected from what I can tell. 

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is it just the Google Home devices disconnecting or do you notice other devices disconnecting as well? I assume you have a games console either a Xbox or PS4? If so put the Xbox in Energy Saving mode rather than Instant ON and power down the PS4 fully rather than leaving it in standby mode. Does that resolve the issue?

In terms of turning the PS4 completely off and not using power saving "standby" mode - how would this affect the google home devices? 

I'd be happy to try, but I don't consider that a fix. 

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We've identified the consoles cause an issue with waking up the connectivity of the router so if you could try that we can determine if its the same issue or a different one

Thanks, I've given it a try since last night and so far so good, but I'll check again in 12 hours. 

Is it not possible to fix this on the router's end, because again, the rest mode is quite convenient?

• Administrators
3 hours ago, ricky said:

Thanks, I've given it a try since last night and so far so good, but I'll check again in 12 hours. 

Is it not possible to fix this on the router's end, because again, the rest mode is quite convenient?

It should be yes, multiple teams are looking at it as we speak. When there is a beta firmware available we'll provide it to those with the issue. 

Update on the PS4 standby vs off. 

12 hours later is was fine... I usually notice it when I get home after work and I want to turn on the lights, but last night was fine. 

24 hours later, they disconnected. My PS4 has been turned off completely for the last 24 hours+, so open to any other suggestions please!? 

Just to point out... It's possible that this might be a problem on the Google Home side of things because one of the reasons for buying the XR500 was that I believed it would help with this issue that I experienced in the past as well. It was fine and working for a very long time, until recently. It's difficult to say since I can't be the only person experiencing issues, but it's frustrating the @!#%^$ out of me. 

I got some help from the Google Home support people. 

They suggest the following: 

As discussed if you're having issue with the Netgear Nighthawk router, then you may need to: 

• Disable Access Control
  • Enable the option "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" in the "Guest Network Setup"

You may refer HERE for the article available on our Google Home Support Site. 

I can't find those options in the router software? 

• Administrators

Hi Ricky - the second option can be found in >Settings >Setup >Guest Network

The Access Control option is not on the XR500 so that won't be the cause.

I do recall Guest Network solving issues like this before, so worth giving that a try.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Have you changed anything recently? For example, upgraded the firmware or made any changes to your setup?

It may be worth doing a factory reset and making the same changes to Guest Network like before.