ping on dedi

bagsta69

Hi yall, tonight has been an odd one on AW, game played awful with me hosting and filter on on dedi with a friend from east coast USA I am in UK.

Disabled filter and he invited me and we both topped the leader boards most games.

He left and I put filter back on and tried a ping thing as game was playing awful on dedi and got following results.

I was just wondering if ping up to 100 MS can really have that bad an effect on a game. I was pinging around 15ms to host but it was dreadful.

Any input greatfuly accepted. Cheers.

post-788-0-49601800-1435104039_thumb.jpg

In my opinion it can have a big effect.  I can tell the difference between a 40 ping to a 70 ping.  You're lucky if 100 is all you're seeing though.  These past few days i've been seeing many 400 up to even 900 pings within a 850 mile (1364 km) geo.   That is a slightly big geo, i have to open it at least that big to find rooms half the time lately.  And those are the players in the geo.  With only maybe half the room making my dedi from the geo filter, i'd hate to see the pings the rest of the players have.

It's not just the ping (ms) that is the problem. In a perfect world, even 100ms would be fine IF it was a direct line to and from the server / host, and there was no jitter (packet loss). 100ms is just 1 sec of latency... Which we already have due to the inherent limit of the speed of light. However, it's never a direct A to B connection with no loss. Hence, why 100ms can have a dramatic negative effect on the game. Some games don't depend on latency at all e.g. turn based strategy games. A twitch shooter like CoD lives or dies by low latency, of course.

Also, the game is dying.

People have finally stopped playing because they've reached Max Prestige and there is literally nothing else to do if they've grind the camo challenges and have all the royalty gear...

One thing iwouldadd also is a pool ofplayers so gratley divided (3dlc SBMM L

Low player base to begin with our geofilter etc ) it makes the people you play with so small like remebrein older cods when i waslooking for games i always had like 10 15 or 2o good games found it was a lot to choose form where now the max i am getting is like 5 and i can pin point like 10 maybe 12 people i play against on a weekly baissis depending on witch euro dedi i am playing on and also FFA its one of the more populated game modes i can only imagine how it is in different games types i think that factor also have a huge impact

I mean i live in london how many people live here milons i bet back in days it was atlest 1 milon gamers plaing cod in london maybe thats a bit to big number but still rember dasy when this game was sold in like 25 m copies etc . i should play only with people form SW LONDON but those days are gone i think there for llike conor sad distance gets bbiger and latency grows then even witch you beeing close to host you can get those jwalking dudes form the space

Just to add, I have to put my geo filter that big to get games. I also tried dropping my filter over the area east coast of USA we were playing on earlier. ( I am in UK ) and it would not let me get a game. It kept trying to put me in lobbies in Europe so some part of the matchmaking seems to be working.

• Administrators

Hi bagsta,

Not sure I understand, that peer ping looks pretty good to me. Everyone has a very reasonable ping. Was that from a bad game or a good a game? 

That pic was from a terrible game mate, I couldn't understand it either as usually up to around 120 MS the game plays fine. I'm guessing it is just AW. Meh!!! I have had to open up the filter to quite a large area recently to find games soI am guessing that the player base has dropped even further.

Anyway you should be coding. lol :)

That pic was from a terrible game mate, I couldn't understand it either as usually up to around 120 MS the game plays fine. I'm guessing it is just AW. Meh!!! I have had to open up the filter to quite a large area recently to find games soI am guessing that the player base has dropped even further.

Anyway you should be coding. lol :)

played a few games recently with an american host pinging 120ms and it played pretty damn well my end ,i was both amazed and perplexed at the same time. actual proof that men can multi task

Archived