XR500 ANTENNA

you can use other antennass, are you thinking of high gains? So long as the connections are the same (they usually are universal on routers).

hey PRO TEM , is your XR500 showing signs of having less signal range than your previous router...?

mine does, my old R7000 had twice the wifi range (and it only had 3 antennas , not 4...?)

With a direct line of sight to my back garden, (30ft of no obstructions , doors or walls) my XR500 cant even reach that far...poor!

Guest Killhippie

hey PRO TEM , is your XR500 showing signs of having less signal range than your previous router...?

mine does, my old R7000 had twice the wifi range (and it only had 3 antennas , not 4...?)

With a direct line of sight to my back garden, (30ft of no obstructions , doors or walls) my XR500 cant even reach that far...poor!

Four aerials are for MU-MIMO not for signal strength, I had a R7000, a R7800 and the XR500. The XR500 has comparable distance to the R7800 (which is better than the R7000) I get a 84% signal on 5GHZ though two brick walls aat about 25ft. I consider that good, my 2.4Ghz goes our of my bungalow and across the road! It sounds more like you have a faulty XR500. Maybe its worth talking to netgear about it, the signal is good on this device, and was on  my previous XR500 which was a different reversion. Aerial number has nothing to do with signal strength, and placement, interference, switching off 20/40 co existence etc can all ruin things along with WMM being turned off which should never happen, and of course neighbours using overlapping channels. Use a wifi analyser to see what your signal is like, it may help putting the router on the right channels, or conforming a hardware issue. :)

Four aerials are for MU-MIMO not for signal strength, I had a R7000, a R7800 and the XR500. The XR500 has comparable distance to the R7800 (which is better than the R7000) I get a 84% signal on 5GHZ though two brick walls aat about 25ft. I consider that good, my 2.4Ghz goes our of my bungalow and across the road! It sounds more like you have a faulty XR500. Maybe its worth talking to netgear about it, the signal is good on this device, and was on  my previous XR500 which was a different reversion. Aerial number has nothing to do with signal strength, and placement, interference, switching off 20/40 co existence etc can all ruin things along with WMM being turned off which should never happen, and of course neighbours using overlapping channels. Use a wifi analyser to see what your signal is like, it may help putting the router on the right channels, or conforming a hardware issue. :)

i have 2/40 off but I think WMM is on... ? it should be on yes ..? Have already fine-tuned channel selection via InSSIDer. Still signal is virtually non-existent 30 feet away in clear line of sight....

Guest Killhippie

i have 2/40 off but I think WMM is on... ? it should be on yes ..? Have already fine-tuned channel selection via InSSIDer. Still signal is virtually non-existent 30 feet away in clear line of sight....

Turn 20/40 on it can cause issues with wifi in your own network, that's why its on by default, unless you live in the middle of a field its best to use it. Also make sure HT160 is off too. Have you got your network set up with one SSID? I separated mine so I know what 2.4Ghz and what's 5Ghz, at 30Ft on 5Ghz I get a full signal line of site on my phone, with obstructions like two walls I lose one bar but it comes back as you move the handset about. Hope some of that helps :)

Turn 20/40 on it can cause issues with wifi in your own network, that's why its on by default, unless you live in the middle of a field its best to use it. Also make sure HT160 is off too. Have you got your network set up with one SSID? I separated mine so I know what 2.4Ghz and what's 5Ghz, at 30Ft on 5Ghz I get a full signal line of site on my phone, with obstructions like two walls I lose one bar but it comes back as you move the handset about. Hope some of that helps :)

two SSID's, one for each band... Do i need MU-MIMO on ? i dont think i even have one device that supports it ?

even my new iPhone X is MIMO only .....

I know for a fact that the RT-AC68U router has far better range than the XR500 running Merlin Firmware (I still own it). BUT there is nothing that compares to the XR500 when it comes to gaming. XR500 with a CM1000 docsis 3.1 modem as of right now is the best combo in my opinion. 

Guest Killhippie

two SSID's, one for each band... Do i need MU-MIMO on ? i dont think i even have one device that supports it ?

even my new iPhone X is MIMO only .....

If not using MU-Mimo turn that off too. the MU-Mimo flag can cause some issues with non MU-MIMO devices. Here is some reading on that. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33100-why-you-don-t-need-mu-mimo

Guest Killhippie

I know for a fact that the RT-AC68U router has far better range than the XR500 running Merlin Firmware (I still own it). BUT there is nothing that compares to the XR500 when it comes to gaming. XR500 with a CM1000 docsis 3.1 modem as of right now is the best combo in my opinion. 

It also depends on your home too, your neighbours networks etc as well.  Also the laws of physics play into this too, along with rulings on TX power. The XR500 is the R7800 in a new shell so should be pretty similar, my old R7800 had a huge range but each router varies slightly like smartphones. Also different revisions may have subtle changes i guess. As long as it does what you need that's what matters. I agree that the XR500 is great for gaming, also I love its QoS for prioritising clients with such granular control. It is is a great router. :)