Interleaving?

Victor-Yout

anyone know what interleaving does to your connection?

From what little I know of it, it raises latency in order to stabilise the line if faults are detected. I don't really know the ins and outs of it because I've always been lucky enough to stay on fast path despite getting VDSL2 over a year and a half ago.

I'm sure there'd be some good guides/discussions on it on ISP or networking guide forums online.

Interleaving is a method of taking data packets, chopping them up into smaller bits and then rearranging them so that once contiguous data is now spaced further apart into a non continuous stream.

DSL modems contain an interleaver which is responsible for interleaving the outgoing data & a de-interleaver which decodes and re-assembles data at the receiving end.

Zennon will be along shortly to tell you how good it is :P

I'm currently on interleaving and have been for about two weeks.

My connection is crap, I've been on and off interleaving ever since going from cable to FTTC.

Last time I got Open Reach over to have a nose, they couldn't find anything wrong, then the problem went away only to return a couple of weeks later.

If your line needs it then it's better to have it. But it's better to not need it.

What he said ^

Without it, your line could become so unstable its unusable but with it on and being active on your line, not much point in playing CoD unless you like constant BS deaths.

What he said ^

Without it, your line could become so unstable its unusable but with it on and being active on your line, not much point in playing CoD unless you like constant BS deaths.

I had interleaving for months, didn't cause me any problems in-game.

It just annoyed me by being there because it took age to work out why it was there.

I had interleaving for months, didn't cause me any problems in-game.

It just annoyed me by being there because it took age to work out why it was there.

It causes problems for me on IW. Rarely get BS deaths but when on interleaving, 50% of my deaths a match are BS.

fast path= if you receive an error'd packet you will drop it.

interleave = if you receive an error'd packet it attempts to fix it. 

how each scenario would play out in a game would be interesting.

fast path= if you receive an error'd packet you will drop it.

interleave = if you receive an error'd packet it attempts to fix it. 

how each scenario would play out in a game would be interesting.

When interleaving, it splits and rearranges your packets so on a game like CoD and packetsare your shots, you can see why it can cause problems.

Do you know if you can ask your isp to turn interleave off? I have seen comments that they dont want to turn it off

Its not your ISP that puts you on interleaving iirc. Its something in the cab... it detects too many errors, it auto puts you on interleaving.

Your ISP can't turn it off as its not them thats putting you on it.

just for some more information, who is your isp, what has your latency been like for the last year, or has it just recently started. if its recently just started then ask yourself whats changed in your home, or outside, do you have new equipment like new cables new filter,fridge,microwave,lights has there been any roadworks, the list can go on and on DLM is in control of your line characteristics and that has detected issues