PS4 SPEED TEST VS LAPTOP!

P1mptowt

Ok so I've been seeing constantly that PS4 speed test is not accurate. I have been using wired ps4 speed tests since I got the Netduma.  I found 30/30 preemptive to give me consistent results based on those tests.

I have now tried using my laptop connected to my Netduma and can not get a single stable result. I can get all A+ but the red lines are always very long and the tests are never consistent no matter what I use. Even 70/70 which I see being recommended often.

I used ping plotter wired to the netduma last night and my ping was stable at 20 ms (on interleaved for moment) this seems to be lower than dsl reports. There was about 75% PL on the 2nd hop but from what I've read it only matters at hop 1 and the destination so to ignore?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated still new to all this.

Rick

DSLReports is not very accurate. The best test is to run a ping command or ping plotter and then upload/download while watching your ping. The best way to do this is from 2 separate devices also. Pinging on one and uploading/downloading on another.

70/70 should work fine, if you see any crazy jitter with that most likely it's your ISP or something else on your line

Yes thanks great advice. My only issue is I followed a guide on youtube callled "ultimate netduma guide" by simjc74 when I set everything up. He says to use dslreports but now i'm told this is not very accurate. Will continue to use ping plotter but can you suggest something for speed. Is speedtest.net still ok?

What are you pinging on PingPlotter? I think it's safe to assume their servers are in a different location so that would explain the latency difference.

Is the second hop on PingPlotter one of your devices (router) or is it a public IP, ie once you leave your personal network and hit the Internet proper? If it's tagged with some long URL that might include the name of your ISP in there somewhere, it shouldn't be a problem as intermediate hops can be ignored as you said. If the second hop is either 192.168.88.1 or whatever private IP address your modem has, you might want to try a new cable.

hi there. Just ran test again. Not sure what everything means but I've tried to paste you a screenshot to help you further.   https://imgur.com/ARTJyVo

today ping seemed to be higher. I started uploading and downloading like you said. Im not sure if hop 4 is my modem or not as I followed a guide to put in bridge mode and I am no longer able to access the Gui etc. . .

Not an expert but this 2nd snap looks bad   https://imgur.com/a/b4nwC

Do you have congestion control enabled?

The 3rd hop is BT it tends not to respond to pings at certain high use times so shows packet loss this is normal.

You have some large spikes and there is a touch of packet loss on the last hop which leads me to think you either do not have CC on or have an ISP congested line.

If you are downloading and uploading then you will get a bad plot at 100% that is like using a normal router.

At 70% each way or less you will see a massive improvement.

I leave my sliders at 70% 24/7 as I like a jitter free line all the time.

hi there. Just ran test again. Not sure what everything means but I've tried to paste you a screenshot to help you further. https://imgur.com/ARTJyVo

today ping seemed to be higher. I started uploading and downloading like you said. Im not sure if hop 4 is my modem or not as I followed a guide to put in bridge mode and I am no longer able to access the Gui etc. . .

I see what you mean about the packet loss now. Yep that looks normal. Your first hop is the R1 and everything past that is the "Internet proper", ie past your network. Some hops (devices) along the network chain just aren't configured to respond to ICMP echo ping requests. If you've ever seen the ability to disable echo requests in your modem or router settings you can do this yourself. This isn't in your control and it's not anything to worry about either. The only thing that matters here is the R1 hop and the destination hop.

Oh and your plot looks incredibly stable until (I'm assuming) you start downloading and uploading with 100% sliders. That's totally normal too. Your base stability looks great! And of course there's no packet loss to worry about ;)

If you're confused by PingPlotter reporting packet loss (it can be weird at times), set up a broadband quality monitor at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/create but just make sure you don't have IPv6 enabled. Sometimes I've seen odd packet loss on PingPlotter which won't show up on the BQM, or even a basic command prompt ping on Windows. PingPlotter can report false packet loss if you speed up the ping interval, but otherwise I'd assume it comes down to the IP you're pinging being hit hard at peak hours. I've noticed this with 8.8.8.8 more than anything else.