Questions about set up & geo filter

My first question is; if I am only using 2 gaming consoles on my XR500 can I change the NAT from Secured to Open under WAN set up, or will this affect how the geo filter works or possibly affect gaming packets? Security is not an issue, as my internet is dedicated to console gaming only.

Second question: After I have added my console to the geo filter do I need to open DUMA OS & launch the geo filter app each time I play a game to get the effects of the geo filter? I'm hoping to not have to attach a laptop to the XR500 every gaming session.

Welcome! No, once the Geo filter is set and the console added to the device list, you do not need to have the interface open for it to work. As far as NAT, just enable UPnP and it should open ports automatically. On my old router, I always had moderate NAT. Enabled UPnP on the XR and it went to open straight away.

I'm connecting 2 consoles to the XR500 I get moderate nat in game when I use UPNP. I can only DMZ one console, & if I port forward or port trigger the other console I get strict NAT, so changing the NAT from Secured to Open opened the NAT on both consoles, all the time. But I don't want to do this if there are any other ill effects.

Hi and welcome to the forum. It is best to keep nat open n let xr500 do its business to allow necessary packets to be sent. Also it is essential for chat and to avoid problems.

• Administrators

My first question is; if I am only using 2 gaming consoles on my XR500 can I change the NAT from Secured to Open under WAN set up, or will this affect how the geo filter works or possibly affect gaming packets? Security is not an issue, as my internet is dedicated to console gaming only.

Second question: After I have added my console to the geo filter do I need to open DUMA OS & launch the geo filter app each time I play a game to get the effects of the geo filter? I'm hoping to not have to attach a laptop to the XR500 every gaming session.

Hi Demon - I think this was your setup on the R1: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/18587-open-nat-on-2-consoles/

Could you try replicating that again on the XR500? Let me know if you need any help.

As for your second question, as others have already answered you only need to set it up once for it to take affect and you don't need to keep it open (but it's usually fun to keep it open to see the server location and the ping).

When I use port forwarding or triggering even with UPNP off I get strict NAT. You see I'm using 2 consoles & want Open NAT on both, otherwise sometimes I can't join friends parties.

Hi Demon - I think this was your setup on the R1: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/18587-open-nat-on-2-consoles/

Could you try replicating that again on the XR500? Let me know if you need any help.

As for your second question, as others have already answered you only need to set it up once for it to take affect and you don't need to keep it open (but it's usually fun to keep it open to see the server location and the ping).

Forwarding ports 3074 & 3075 seems to be hit or miss, so I'm hoping changing NAT to Open from Secured (under WAN set up) will simplify this, but again I don't want to implement this if it creates other issues.

• Administrators

When I use port forwarding or triggering even with UPNP off I get strict NAT. You see I'm using 2 consoles & want Open NAT on both, otherwise sometimes I can't join friends parties.

OK. My thinking is that UPNP is unable to perform as it should because of your port forwarding & DMZ. So could you try this please:

1. Delete all port forwarding and all port triggering rules you have. Remove the DMZ too (basically remove any port forwarding configuration you have set)
  2. Enable UPNP
  3. Set Geo-Filter to spectating mode for both consoles
  4. Reset both consoles and wait for the game to load
  5. Switch Geo-Filter back to filtering mode
  6. Check NAT status on each

Once you have done that, let us know what each console says for NAT. If they're not both open, we can then work from this base to make it so. Thanks!

OK. My thinking is that UPNP is unable to perform as it should because of your port forwarding & DMZ. So could you try this please:

• Delete all port forwarding and all port triggering rules you have. Remove the DMZ too (basically remove any port forwarding configuration you have set)
  • Enable UPNP
  • Set Geo-Filter to spectating mode for both consoles
  • Reset both consoles and wait for the game to load
  • Switch Geo-Filter back to filtering mode
  • Check NAT status on each
Once you have done that, let us know what each console says for NAT. If they're not both open, we can then work from this base to make it so. Thanks!

I have followed all of the above steps precisely & still am getting moderate NAT.

• Administrators

I have followed all of the above steps precisely & still am getting moderate NAT.

Thank you. I assume you are getting moderate NAT on both consoles then?

Could you take a screenshot of your UPNP page (>Settings >UPNP) and upload it to a site like imgur, and then share on here?

Finally, what consoles do you have?

Thank you. I assume you are getting moderate NAT on both consoles then?

Could you take a screenshot of your UPNP page (>Settings >UPNP) and upload it to a site like imgur, and then share on here?

Finally, what consoles do you have?

Yes, moderate NAT on both PS4 & Xbox One.

Again, I ask is there any harm to just enabling Open NAT under WAN settings? This seems to simplify all of this.

post-10001-0-01443200-1520092332_thumb.png

• Administrators

Yes, moderate NAT on both PS4 & Xbox One.

Again, I ask is there any harm to just enabling Open NAT under WAN settings? This seems to simplify all of this.

Yes, you can try this. It's less secure but as you say, this is a dedicated gaming line so much safer.

It's odd that your UPNP table is not populated with any port forwarding rules (UPNP should automatically detect these).

Could you try switching to open NAT under WAN, then boot up both consoles. Does that solve the problem?

Yes, you can try this. It's less secure but as you say, this is a dedicated gaming line so much safer.

It's odd that your UPNP table is not populated with any port forwarding rules (UPNP should automatically detect these).

Could you try switching to open NAT under WAN, then boot up both consoles. Does that solve the problem?

Yes, changing the NAT from Secured to Open under WAN settings absolutely opens the NAT for both consoles consistently.

• Administrators

Yes, changing the NAT from Secured to Open under WAN settings absolutely opens the NAT for both consoles consistently.

Great news! Thanks for letting us know.

I strongly suggest that when you finish your gaming session you switch nat back to secure as a precaution!

You think so? Even if that is literally all I do on this connection is console gaming? We use a separate internet for phones, web browsing, even streaming. Hell I even turned the WiFi radio off on the XR500.

• Administrators

You think so? Even if that is literally all I do on this connection is console gaming? We use a separate internet for phones, web browsing, even streaming. Hell I even turned the WiFi radio off on the XR500.

I think you are probably fine to leave it open. I would personally ensure your consoles have 2 step verifications for purchases then leave it open but it's up to you!