AT&T Gigapower (gigabit) with Netduma--HELP???

Bauer2206

Hey everyone!! So over the past few days, I switched internet providers. I initially had Time Warner (Spectrum) with speeds of 300/20. I owned my own modem with the Netduma and my Netgear Nighthawk r7000 connected to the Netduma as an access point only. This set up worked perfectly and my speeds were almosst exactly what they should have been. That being said, I just switched to AT&T Gigapower fiber gigabit (1000/1000) internet service. AT&T provided me with their modem/router combo unit, the Arris BGW210-700. When directly connected to that device, I'm able to achieve the correct speeds of nearly 1000dl/1000ul. I've got the Netduma connected to the Arris. As there is no DMZ to speak of for the Arris, I have done the IP Passthrough with it set as DHCPS-FIXED and the Netduma's MAC address selected. From what I've read and from speaking with the ISP, this was the correct way to set it up. Now, from the Netduma, I'm only achieving download speeds of 200-300 and upload speed of a max of 100. I feel like these numbers should be higher but I'm not sure how to achieve that. I've already completed the following as I'm supposed to:

Reactive Algorithm
100% anti-flood
Share excess enabled
Reset device prioritisation & apply
Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc
Disable deep packet in misc
Enable super turbo mode

Does anyone have any other information on how to achieve higher speeds utilizing the Netduma? I wish there was a way to just purchase my own modem for this service but I'm told I cannot. Any information or suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Enable super turbo mode

Make sure you have turbo mode and super turbo mode checked. You should see a message on the congestion control page that super turbo mode is enabled and congestion control is disabled. If you don't see that, then that's why your speeds aren't right.

Also, since there's no DMZ on the modem you could give the Netduma a static IP and then port forward ports 1-65535 for UDP and TCP which will open up every port to the Netduma's IP. It's probably the next best way without DMZ.

Make sure you have turbo mode and super turbo mode checked. You should see a message on the congestion control page that super turbo mode is enabled and congestion control is disabled. If you don't see that, then that's why your speeds aren't right.

Also, since there's no DMZ on the modem you could give the Netduma a static IP and then port forward ports 1-65535 for UDP and TCP which will open up every port to the Netduma's IP. It's probably the next best way without DMZ.

Thanks so much for the quick reply!! I actually already  have turbo and super turbo modes checked and do receive the message on the congestion control page. Despite this, I cannot figure out how to port forward those ports to the Netduma. I understand how port forwarding works but I cant seem to find the IP address of the Netduma to assign the port forwarding rule to. Any idea on how to correct that?

Also, I cant seem to figure out how to assign the Netduma its own I static IP. I assume its under the IP Allocation menu on the ATT router but when I go there, the Netduma's MAC address isnt there.

if your doing speedtest on ps4 or xbox you wont get higher then that..you need a pc with a gigbit port..i got fios gigabit and i only get 250-300 on ps4..but i bareles use 20 up and down on the duma anyway for gaming

Thanks so much for the quick reply!! I actually already  have turbo and super turbo modes checked and do receive the message on the congestion control page. Despite this, I cannot figure out how to port forward those ports to the Netduma. I understand how port forwarding works but I cant seem to find the IP address of the Netduma to assign the port forwarding rule to. Any idea on how to correct that?

The IP should be listed in the modem

Also, I cant seem to figure out how to assign the Netduma its own I static IP. I assume its under the IP Allocation menu on the ATT router but when I go there, the Netduma's MAC address isnt there.

I really have no experience with AT&T and their garbage modems to know where it is. But I'm sure it's hidden in there somewhere... You could also set it on the Netduma I believe under WAN settings

The IP should be listed in the modem

I really have no experience with AT&T and their garbage modems to know where it is. But I'm sure it's hidden in there somewhere... You could also set it on the Netduma I believe under WAN settingsT

Thanks again but the reply but I'm still having a bit of struggle. I believe that in the piece of crap ATT modem, once you set a device for IP Passthrough, it automatically assigns that device its own IP. Funny thing is, that IP address nor MAC address is listed as a possible device to port forward those ports to. I hope I'm not causing you any frustration. I love the internet service, I hate their modem/router combo!!

Thanks again but the reply but I'm still having a bit of struggle. I believe that in the piece of crap ATT modem, once you set a device for IP Passthrough, it automatically assigns that device its own IP. Funny thing is, that IP address nor MAC address is listed as a possible device to port forward those ports to. I hope I'm not causing you any frustration. I love the internet service, I hate their modem/router combo!!

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Equipment/Strict-NAT-Bridge-Mode-What-is-IP-Passthrough-Can-I-enable-on-my/td-p/5296974

This has a bit of information

Can anyone tell me what the maximum speeds that can be achieved using the Netduma router? As it stand now, with my AT&T modem/router combo, I can achieve close to the 1000/1000 speeds advertised and paid for. With the Netduma, my top speeds are typically around 300 down and around 100 up. As said above, I have already completed the IP Passthrough process. I saw another feature in the AT&T router for "Cascaded Router" which I believe is when you connect another router behind the AT&T router. I've made a few attempts to getting that done but have not been successful as of yet. If anyone is able to help me by either providing some step-by-step instructions or perhaps even some remote support, I would forever be thankful. If the Netduma is only capable of reaching the speeds that I'm getting with it currently, then I'll just leave well-enough alone. Thanks!!

• Netduma Staff

Can anyone tell me what the maximum speeds that can be achieved using the Netduma router? As it stand now, with my AT&T modem/router combo, I can achieve close to the 1000/1000 speeds advertised and paid for. With the Netduma, my top speeds are typically around 300 down and around 100 up. As said above, I have already completed the IP Passthrough process. I saw another feature in the AT&T router for "Cascaded Router" which I believe is when you connect another router behind the AT&T router. I've made a few attempts to getting that done but have not been successful as of yet. If anyone is able to help me by either providing some step-by-step instructions or perhaps even some remote support, I would forever be thankful. If the Netduma is only capable of reaching the speeds that I'm getting with it currently, then I'll just leave well-enough alone. Thanks!!

The Netduma is capable of speeds of around 800mbps in a lab environment. In a home environment, the most I've seen it achieve is around 600mbps. Every network is different though and requires experimentation to get that high on the R1.

Is it possible that your Ethernet cable between the Netduma and the modem isn't capable of handling high speeds? (faulty / old?) Some people have (inexplicably) had success by unplugging their modem and Netduma before plugging them in again. (Wait for 5 minutes before powering on the Modem, and >1 minute before powering on the Netduma).

This might not work however, and the speeds you're currently receiving could unfortunately be the maximum you receive through the Netduma R1.

The Netduma is capable of speeds of around 800mbps in a lab environment. In a home environment, the most I've seen it achieve is around 600mbps. Every network is different though and requires experimentation to get that high on the R1.

Is it possible that your Ethernet cable between the Netduma and the modem isn't capable of handling high speeds? (faulty / old?) Some people have (inexplicably) had success by unplugging their modem and Netduma before plugging them in again. (Wait for 5 minutes before powering on the Modem, and >1 minute before powering on the Netduma).

This might not work however, and the speeds you're currently receiving could unfortunately be the maximum you receive through the Netduma R1.

Thank you , Jack, for this information. The Ethernet cables that I'm using are fairly new and are Cat 6. This having been said, I have experimented with other cables that I have here at home and still get the same results in speed. I will try the "unplugging" method later today and see what result that brings. I believe I may have to settle for the speed that I'm currently getting....Thanks again for this information!!

Keep us updated!

So I've tried the "unplugging" method and continue getting the same results in speed. It's kind of frustrating because I have the gigabit speed internet, I have gigabit capable devices yet with the router (which also has gigabit Ethernet ports), I'm not actually getting close to that speed. Despite this, I know the speeds I'm currently getting are way more than enough to game with no problem. If there's something else that I can do to help improve this though, please pass that info along.Thanks!!

• 1 year later...

Anyone have a step by step for this process? My modem is the bedroom. I have a port switch in the garage where I play. I would like to plug the netduma to the wall since it’s being fed from the modem from the bedroom but need help . I want to keep the R1 for my PS4 only and the rest of the house on the U-verse modem but not sure how to or if I can anyways.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Mdfr305 said:

Anyone have a step by step for this process? My modem is the bedroom. I have a port switch in the garage where I play. I would like to plug the netduma to the wall since it’s being fed from the modem from the bedroom but need help . I want to keep the R1 for my PS4 only and the rest of the house on the U-verse modem but not sure how to or if I can anyways.

Not sure what you're asking exactly but you could just unplug the switch in the garage and use the ethernet cable that was connected to it to connect the R1 and then connect your PS4. Keep in mind this setup will not utilise the R1's QoS abilities and so you may encounter local congestion.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Not sure what you're asking exactly but you could just unplug the switch in the garage and use the ethernet cable that was connected to it to connect the R1 and then connect your PS4. Keep in mind this setup will not utilise the R1's QoS abilities and so you may encounter local congestion.

I did exactly that but my speed is only like 39 when I have the U-verse 1000 speed. I normally get around 450 to the PS4 but it seems like this is extremely low.